Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXyrico
Stranger
Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Wormwood 'hash' extraction
    #1046152 - 11/12/02 01:53 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

After reading two Erowid reports describing the extraction of thujone from wormwood in the form of a solid tar or hash, I decided to try this process on my own. Having an ounce of wormwood at my disposal (of unknown quality, however), I decided that I could donate half of it to science, and possibly to getting high a few days down the line :wink:
Wormwood tea is great when you have an upset stomach, by the way.

The plant itself came very conveniently packaged in measured-out tea bags of 1.6 grams each, and I used 15 bags in total. Tearing them open, I transfered the wormwood to a half-pint jar, which filled it about half way. I poured methanol (again, of unknown purity-- it was all I had lying around the house) into the jar until it was 3/4 full, and screwed the lid on tightly. For the next 10 minutes or so, I proceeded to shake that sucker for all it was worth. Upon opening the jar, I was almost overwhelmed by the smell. Boy! That stuff sure does absorb fast. The methanol, originally dyed a cheery, bright aquamarine color had now turned murky and dark green. I let it sit for for 4 hours, and examined the jar again. It had become yet darker, and the smell was much more intense. Satisfied that this was worth my time, I left it for another 60 hours or so. Again, I gave it a long, vigorous shake, and ran it through a coffee filter into a drinking glass. I dumped out the wormwood, and squeezed it to get the most liquid out. In the end, I was left with approximately 150 ml of the darkest, most foul smelling concoction I had ever seen. The extraction was thick with suspended particles; so thick, in fact, that even my brightest lamp couldn't fully penetrate it. This filtration took place around 1 AM last night.

When I came back to my room around 3:20, I was surprised to find a third of my little extraction had already evaporated. Faster than I thought, that's for sure. This morning approximately half of it was gone. It's gotten darker, thicker, and at this point reminds me of what happens when you leave a half-full glass of Coke out just a  little too long. What really surprised me, though, was the change in smell. At first, the solution smelled as I expected it to-- the aroma of wormwood multiplied about a hundredfold. Now, however, the presence of the herb itself is much less noticable, partially replaced by a (somewhat) sour odour which I can't seem to identify. Anyway, at this rate, I expect complete evaporation within the next 12 hours. Honestly, I still don't know what to expect. I can see a bright green film on the walls of the glass where the solution has stained it, and a huge amount of organic matter is suspended in the liquid. I'll check up on it again a few hours from now, once I get home.

If anyone has any experience whatsoever with what I'm trying to do, please post your suggestions. I'm sure I've gone wrong in more than one aspect, and I have preserved the spent wormwood just in case. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: Xyrico]
    #1047362 - 11/12/02 08:05 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

where did your methanol come from? it might contain unwanted residues... be very careful!

OfflineXyrico
Stranger
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: felixhigh]
    #1048166 - 11/13/02 01:37 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

This, as well, is my main concern. I used a fondue fuel, which was unfortunately the only solvent I had at my disposal. A mistake on my part, perhaps. As I said before, it was of a light teal colour, but the bottle only listed methanol as an ingredient. What kind of other nasty stuff might it leave behind? Would it be dangerous, even in such low amounts, and even when smoked?

That aside, it's now 10:30 PM, and the methanol is already 3/4 evaporated. A thick film is collecting on the surface, as well as a layer at the bottom. I'd take pics if I could! lol, I just hope this is worth it.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #1048414 - 11/13/02 03:28 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

i wouldnt worry TOOO much about residue, afterall, it IS a FOOD prep substance

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Mitchnast]
    #1048784 - 11/13/02 09:55 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: matts]
    #1049062 - 11/13/02 01:06 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

by food prep i mean as feul for the fondue heater.
it would burn and evaporate all around the food.
i would think that mathanol residue on the smokable mediium would be neglagable.and not particularly risky, if it contained something like benzine or something it wouldnt be anywhere near a fondue. (i hope) it would require a substantial amount to cause blindness. once evaporated away, the smokable medium would be practically devoid of the alcohol, ant remaining residue would combust in the flame used to smoke the wormwood "hash" if it had another substance present that was grossly toxic and not destroyed by burning, then id worry, but i think not

--------------------

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
    #1049073 - 11/13/02 01:12 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

whenever using any solvent for extractions, always evaporate some in a glass baking dish first to see if it leaves any smell or residue. IMO it is not as important if you are using it to defat, then using a good solvent for the extraction.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: matts]
    #1049118 - 11/13/02 01:31 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Methanol will make you go blind, but generally the danger about moonshine was people distilled it in car carbeurators, and left large deposit of lead in the moonshine.

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: daussaulit]
    #1052376 - 11/14/02 02:15 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Hum.. escuse me if this is a stupid question, but won't you end up with wormwood OIL?? How can you make it have the consistance of "hash"??

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: psylo33o]
    #1054630 - 11/15/02 04:33 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Interesting post. Some learned people have told me that wormwood hash is a bit of waste of time. Jonathan Ott wrote otherwise though, so im very interested. It has nice smoke

--------------------

OfflineXyrico
Stranger
    #1055434 - 11/15/02 01:23 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

You're absolutely right-- the finished product ended up being a really thick, oily substance. It's unbelievably sticky and moist, and doesn't crumble or break up. I have to put some on the tip of a knife, and scrape it into the bowl of my pipe, otherwise it doesn't come off. The methanol took quite a bit longer than I expected to evaporate, but my suspicion is that it was diluted with water, and once the alcohol was gone, the water would take a lot longer to go. I ended up just pouring out the last few ml of liquid, as it was taking ridiculously long to disappear. Once I scraped it all up, I was left with about half a bowl's worth of material. Bio-assay scheduled for later today, will post results  :grin: 

OfflineXyrico
Stranger
    #1055874 - 11/15/02 03:28 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Wow. That took a really, really long time to smoke. Considering how little of it there was, an hour and a half is crazy. It's very cool to watch-- when a flame is first applied, it melts, then bubbles, and finally catches fire. The smoke is somewhat bitter, but smooth on the lungs and easy to hold in. It's nothing like smoking raw wormwood (yes, I tried, once), which is pretty awful. Effects are eerily similar to pot, as if I had just smoked half a good bowl. Very pleasant, actually. My mood shot way up, and I'm very relaxed. Music sounds different, in a great way.

Overall, I think this was definitely worth it. Nothing mindblowing or especially different, but still very nice. As this was my first run, I didn't expect too much, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm almost positive I could increase potency by using purer materials, better filtration, and a few more days' steeping time. Something I'm definitely motivated to try again.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #1056026 - 11/15/02 04:07 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

man....almost makes me wanna try :grin: maybe some day, when im not so busy all the time.....have you ever tryed absinthe? just curious......if so, how did you like it? 

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineXyrico
Stranger
Re: Wormwood 'hash' extraction [Re: wrestler_az]
    #1057422 - 11/16/02 03:25 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Nope, haven't tried absinthe... yet  :wink: 

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
    #1057661 - 11/16/02 06:55 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Cool!! can't wait to get my greedy hands on some seeds!!! thanx for sharing!!!

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineRemiMartin
Loc: UK
    #1058158 - 11/16/02 03:23 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Makes me want to try too, when I get some money I'll order some wormwood. I was thinking isopropyl alcohol might be good, methanol is cheap and readily available, but not too good for you, so I'll have to order some IPA.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden