Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Very wet grain!
    #1045949 - 11/12/02 12:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hello 'All.

I soaked millet on Saturday AM, in a plastic container with a lid, it stayed there until last night when i scooped out enough to fill 3 pint jars 1/2 to 2/3 full, when i opened the lid some of the sunflower seeds had fuzz growing on them on the top ,, so i scooped the top layer off and threw it out.

I used some of the rest and rinsed it real good under cold water then loaded my jard, and PC for 1 hr 15 mins.

I have some left over grain and am wondering if i should throw it our or use it!

opinions?

cg

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineInMyVersion
Stranger

Loc: NE USA
Re: Very wet grain! [Re: Curious_George]
    #1045979 - 11/12/02 12:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'd rinse it and use it... As long as you pc it good it's going to kill anything growing on there... 1.5 - 2 hours @ 15psi should do the trick. Of course, if you're very short on spores or the ones you are using are costly then you might go with fresh stuff. Next time don't let it sit so long before pc'ing it.

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1045994 - 11/12/02 12:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

millet is cheap just toss it.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Re: Very wet grain! [Re: New Name]
    #1046133 - 11/12/02 01:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not too worried about the cost, i want to PC more jars asap and if i buy fresh seed i have to soak it for 24 hrs a la 6T. If i use my current grain, i'm good to go.. i'm just wondering if it will turn to mush in the PC after all that soaking?????

But we are gonna find out !!!!

cg

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1046228 - 11/12/02 02:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ala 6T............?

No need to soak for 24 hours. 8 to 12 is fine. If you are in a hot dog rush, just keep an eye on it & start the soak with real hot water. Once seed has swelled considerably. Like 20 -- 25 % in volume. It is good to go.

Remember to rinse and DRAIN it WELL....................

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (11/12/02 02:25 PM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1046245 - 11/12/02 02:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sunflower seeds ............? Dump that idea , sunflower seeds rot easily , contain many varieties of mold and other plant spores etccc..... they also do not like being cooked , they tend to soak up so much water that they explode .
Do a milo/millett mix , is cheap , reliable .
Sterilization should kill all , but why use something that has troubles from the git go ?
After soaking "any" grain you should let it sit in a colander for 45 min or so before loading into jars , then do sterilization method . Cousin "IT"  adds 45 ml of water to 1/3 cup of grain in half pinters and has no problems .............yet :wink: . Oh yeah rinse , then load into jars , add water , pc or ac for 50 min , let cool , innoc , watch and wait ...............
Good Luck  :cool: 
6T is the best , listen to him . I am very opinionated , that is why I dislike the use of sunflower .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (11/12/02 02:34 PM)

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Re: Very wet grain! [Re: tripndicular]
    #1046271 - 11/12/02 02:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the help,,, greatly apreciated!!!!! cudos!

ok then,,, i have a hard time finding millet without sunflower seed around here, Wal-mart had 1 brand, so i'll get some.

Hmmmm,,, about the draining part, i found at my local grocer while buying lids and rings, some Pommade nylon filters, they work very well, i just fill it up with grain and let it sit on an empty glass of water...

I found that after soaking for so long and lots of washing, It does not drop much, i let it sit for 10 minutes and barely any water was comming out,, with some shaking i was able to get an extra few drops out of the bag, but i loaded as is.. no added water at all!!!!!

thx.

--------------------

Edited by Curious_George (11/12/02 02:47 PM)

Invisibletripndicular

#1046292 - 11/12/02 02:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Do you live in a large city ? Are there any feed and grain stores in your area ? Try there they have seed in bulk and many carry grain with no additives , and individual grain not mixed with other stuff . "IT" buys milo , red millet , white millet , mixes them up 1 part of each . Also if any large scale bird farms are around check with them where they get seed from . I do not mean chicken farm , exotic bird people are very particular as to grain quality and get the best stuff usuallly .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1046356 - 11/12/02 03:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yo Trip.........

We are all entitled to our opinions. Yours are fine by mee.

The only reason I am for leaving in the sun flower seeds, is they are an oil type seed. Which provides delayed nutes, as any substrate ages.

You ever heard of a pro product called "SpawnMate". It is some killer stuff. It is basicly "rapeseed" (also an oil seed, like sunflower), sterilized -- so it will not germinate. That stuff added to a substrate will really increase yeilds. No bull.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Very wet grain! [Re: SixTango]
    #1046390 - 11/12/02 03:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Rapeseed is a bit firmer of a seed ... is it not ? Have never seen the stuff myself .
This "SPAWNMATE " where can one find it ? It sounds as if it is made for mushie growing . Let me know in pm if you read this ...  :cool: 

--------------------

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

#1046453 - 11/12/02 03:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

just a thought,,!!!

would it be benefitial ( spelling, i know i know... ) to have the seed soak this much, and have it ferment a bit, if it is decomposed a bit maybe the mycelium will grow faster?

possible????

c g

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#1046482 - 11/12/02 04:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"IT" does not soak his seed , puts in colander gives good rinse let drain , puts in jars , adds 45 ml of water to 1/3 rd cup of grain puts in autoclav for 50 min and whala , grain ready for inoculation . 

spelling ... beneficial
Fermentation is not a good thing , nutrients are being consumed and will speed up decay in general , I would think . Decay lets contams have better hold , remember "life" is always trying to recycle itself(decay , rot , bacteria , microbs etc.. new life ) , you are trying to provide the best home possible for "mushroom" mycelium , this includes keeping decay of nutrient base  at bay !
FEED THE MUSHIES ... KILL THE GERMS ! :wink:

--------------------

Edited by tripndicular (11/12/02 04:15 PM)

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1046523 - 11/12/02 04:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just guesstimate the ammount of water to use. I always get perfectly shakeable grain too.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation