Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebutter_flyfish
Stranger
Loc: New England
cyans in tight clumps?
    #1045632 - 11/12/02 08:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good morning shroomers, I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have now joined. This is my first post.
I have a rather unusual id question to ask, so please bare with me for not having all the requisit id characteristics or pics to post. Here's the deal;
Yesterday I spotted some cool looking shrooms sprouting through some old wood mulch at the local drug store. Due to the fact that I live in a New England state, I wasn't thinking "Magic" as we have only Pan subs and gyms growing native here. They did look very cool though, and as I'm interested in shrooms in general I looked a little closer so I could remember them enough to look them up in my Audubon. I didn't bother taking one home as this was quite casual. After browsing through all the pics in the field guide, I was surprised to see that cyans were the closest fit visually. Not having a specimen in hand, I didn't match specific characteristics. Having read that cyans might be introduced outside their range in mulch, combined with the resemblance to the photo, and a healthy dose of wishful thinking, I started to imagine they could actually be the real thing.
So here's my question; I know you're all gonna ask for specifics like spore print etc, but I'm looking for a more general answer. Since it's already so unlikely, maybe close to impossible, I won't even bother going back there to take a specimen unless you guys think there's a worthwhile chance.
The shrooms were brownish yellow, with yellowish gills and dirty white stems. The caps were very wavey, with none showing the typical flat mushroom cap shape. The most noteworthy characteristic that caught my eye was the fact that they sprouted in VERY dense clumps about as big around as a basketball. There were five or six clumps near by, but no singles or small clumps. The clumps were so dense that when I attempted to break off an individual, the entire clump came out of the ground together.
Ok, so, be nice to me. I know this is probably an annoying novice type post, maybe not worth a response or only a snappy reprimand to do my homework. All I'm asking at this point is should I even bother going to collect a specimen? Does the dense clumping rule out cyans? Does the ridiculous location rule them out? Anyone have any data or anecdotes about cyan introduction outside their range? [and no, I'm NOT in Vermont]
Thanks in advance for any attention I get.
PS I love this forum. There are some very sharp individuals posting here. Much higher intelectual level than the outside world could imagine.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebutter_flyfish
Stranger
Re: cyans in tight clumps? [Re: butter_flyfish]
    #1045659 - 11/12/02 08:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh well, even though I'm on company time, I took the time to browse google for some pics. Although many of the pics of individual shrooms looked close, no photo showed anything close to the dense clumps I found. I couldn't do this last night at home because my wife hid my keyboard [don't ask, it's ugly].
So I'm still interested to hear anybodie's opinion, especially if they might have an idea of what genus my find was from. As I said, I'm generally interested in all shrooms.
Although I've been basically sober for 6 years [not counting Dr's scripts], and the last time I tripped was when the Dead toured with Petty and Dylan ['85, '86?], I'd be very tempted to do some exploring with naturally wild growing shrooms that I found myself. My head's been in a bad place lately [hence the ugly keyboard thing] and I kinda feel like I need to take a look for the inner me which has been suppressed to the point of atrophy. Do I really still exist? Or has the creature wearing my skin taken over my life permenently?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1045826 - 11/12/02 11:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cyanescens can be found in verry tight clusters. if what you found where cyans thought, you'd have notived intense bluing at some point.
although it is possible for cyans to have spread widely to any area with suitable climate, it doesn't seem that they have, and you aren't likely to find any outside of their described natural range or cultivated beds. in short, no, they clustering doesn't realy rule it out, if you are outside the PNW then your loc. probably does. good luck and good hunting.
ps, where are you geographicaly? i'm sorry if i missed it in your posts but i didn't see it. it would help if you want to know what active specied grow in your area.
btw, it's never too late to come out of your social skin, just remember to put it back on if need be.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (11/12/02 11:27 AM)

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1045842 - 11/12/02 11:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

So here's my question; I know you're all gonna ask for specifics like spore print etc, but I'm looking for a more general answer. Since it's already so unlikely, maybe close to impossible, I won't even bother going back there to take a specimen unless you guys think there's a worthwhile chance.

General answer:
So, you think it's unlikely to be cyans but you're depending your trip back to the site to clarify that point :crazy:.
Does it worth it ? You have all the details, some match cyans habitat and macro id, why don't you decide yourself ?
Do you want to know what they are ?
Yes->Report spore print color and bruising details.
No->Stay at home wondering about how unlikely they could be cyans or not.
Nature is to be enjoyed, :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: cyans in tight clumps? [Re: canid]
    #1045844 - 11/12/02 11:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

>Due to the fact that I live in a New England state, I wasn't thinking "Magic" as we have only Pan subs and gyms growing native here.

I had to go back and read that too, I'm used to just looking under someone's name on the left side.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: cyans in tight clumps? [Re: Gumby]
    #1045889 - 11/12/02 12:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

damn, slow morning.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: cyans in tight clumps? [Re: canid]
    #1045909 - 11/12/02 12:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You said they had yellow gills?? Right off that tells me that there is a 100% chance they are not cyanescen or any psilocybian mushroom. You sound like a bit of a wacko man, why not pick the clump and take it home to examine it closer and take a spore print?

--------------------
stay off my land

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1047367 - 11/12/02 08:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I found cyanescens last year growing in an odd clump. . .as I said before, there were 3-4 of these clusters, from above they looked like a few large pinecones!

No question about the whiteness of these stems, though.

Offlinebutter_flyfish
Stranger
    #1048732 - 11/13/02 08:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, and for not being too hard on me. I know you all very particular about your id requests.
I haven't been back to grab a specimen, due to my straight life style it's kinda hard to just say "I'll be right back Honey, I'm just gonna run over and pick some mushrooms!" Not gonna happen!
BTW thanks Cardboard for calling me a whacko. You satisfied my sense of irony and gave me the only chuckle of the day yesterday.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #1049085 - 11/13/02 01:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cyans a northwest mushroom, not new england. Your best bet would be subbs.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification