Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Honey LC Tek - pictorial * 1
    #10446142 - 06/03/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Honey LC Tek

I had to make some new LC and decided I would share my method. Honey is a bit tricky to use as it caramelizes pretty easy, but this is the only additive I have had success with. With some caution during heat exposure I get pretty good LC jars without any sedimentation. I have used fructose, but the mycelium grew weak.
So here it is.
The material you will need:
Organic Honey
20 ml syringe
Mineral water
500 ml jars
something to measure the amount of water used
Proper jar lids (Jar lid with silicon injection port and polyfil filter (Tek) )

Step 1
Put some honey in a cup. My honey is very pure and I had to melt it down on a water bat. Don't use microwave as the honey will boil in just few seconds and you will have sedimentation, from crystals forming during the boiling.

This is what it should look like, when ready for use:

Step 2
Take 11 ml of honey with a syringe.

Step 3
Use mineral water and measure 250 ml of it. Don't use tap water as it might be chemically treated. Tap water is being cleaned out of bacteria and fungi and it has additives to prevent them from contaminating it. You want exactly the opposite. You want fungi mycelium to grow in this water. Also mineral water carries its own energy.

Step 4
Mix the water and the honey in a 500 ml jar. If you use different amounts of water the ratio you are aiming at is 4 ml of honey per 100 ml of water (around 4 % honey solution).

I warm the jars in a water bat to completely dissolve the honey.

Step 5
Put the lid on. I use lids with an air port and a self healing silicon injection port. They are pretty easy to make and provide real good air exchange as well as very good sealing after inoculation. Soon I will have to make some more and I will post a pictorial.
EDIT: Here is the tek.
Jar lid with silicon injection port and polyfil filter (Tek)

Step 6
Pressure cook your jars. First ensure they don't touch the bottom or the sides of the pressure cooker as the worm up and too high temperatures cause crystalisation. I use an old metal box to raise the jars above the bottom. Be creative.

I put one layer of aluminum foil and PC for 15 minutes.

Every 5 minutes I check the PC to see if it is boiling. When it starts boiling I turn down the heat and measure 15 minutes from that moment.

Edited by Estario (12/28/09 12:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: Estario] * 1
    #10446154 - 06/03/09 06:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for sharing. Good pictorial.
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

OfflineNoBrainNoPain
Enthusiast noob

Loc: here
Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: Carcass] * 1
    #10448039 - 06/03/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

How do you prevent your filter from getting wet when you shake your LC?

--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: NoBrainNoPain] * 3
    #10448657 - 06/03/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is a ready LC done the same way, which I am using to inoculate the ready jars.

This is how a jar should look like. There should be no sedimentations inside. If there are you should do the process again, because from my personal experience jars with caramelized honey are simple not being colonized.

To draw LC from a jar you need to flame sterilize you needle.

A syringe that is ready for use:

About the shaking. I don't shake my jars that hard. Mycelium usually doesn't form so thick clouds with the setup I use and there is no real need. As for the speed of colonization, it is not so important for me as I always keep some LC ready for use. (1 jar in my incubator and 1 backup jar in the fridge) In case it gets contaminated or runs out I prepare some more with the backup LC and use it to inoculate any future projects until the new one is ready. I am doing this how pictorial, because my old LC got contaminated. I find this tek works for me perfectly. There are better solutions, providing more mycelium and faster colonization, such as using magnetic stirrer or potato LC, but I am a big fan of the KIS(keep it simple) idea. If something works well enough don't overtweak it.

--------------------
All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum - a must read
:alert: Everything I post is completely fictitious, and for your amusement only. All the pictures I post are either photoshopped or ripped from the internet. Whenever i trade for spores it is for examining the spores under microscopes to see their characteristics. There is no reason why I would ever want to nor will I grow mushrooms containing psilocybin. :alert:

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
    #10448790 - 06/03/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

how did you make your "alcohol lamp"? i'm pretty sure i know how... i just don't want to blow myself up or anything!

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: protestsong] * 1
    #10448897 - 06/03/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You simply drill a hole in the lid and use some cotton wool as a wick. Noting too fancy or complicated. The more wick you have sticking out, the bigger the flame will be.

--------------------
:alert: Everything I post is completely fictitious, and for your amusement only. All the pictures I post are either photoshopped or ripped from the internet. Whenever i trade for spores it is for examining the spores under microscopes to see their characteristics. There is no reason why I would ever want to nor will I grow mushrooms containing psilocybin. :alert:

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

#10465642 - 06/07/09 12:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

And here are the results 4 days later.

--------------------

OfflinePlastered marble
All posts fictional

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: Estario] * 2
    #10466646 - 06/07/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You're mycelium loves to make snowballs allright!

Also: did you know a lot of nail clippers have a little "hook" on the inside to scrape fingernails clean?
... just saying ...

--------------------
I survived operation midnight climax and all I got was really, really high.
(older sigs)

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: Plastered marble] * 1
    #10469293 - 06/08/09 02:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yep. I noticed the fingernail issue and took care of it. :smile:  Right now I have exams and I seem to forget to do simple things such as cutting my nails.

--------------------

Offlinespoonman_
Stranger
    #10469341 - 06/08/09 03:11 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for this, nice pictures.

Offlineromulux
Connoisseur of Hallucination
Male

Loc: United States
Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: spoonman_] * 1
    #10469532 - 06/08/09 05:28 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

awesome tek, thanks dude!

--------------------
My psytrance: Soundcloud:Facebook

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey LC Tek - pictorial [Re: romulux] * 1
    #10505561 - 06/14/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have a question. Lately I have been reading
All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum. It is something quite big and full of information. I have changed many aspects of my growing procedures. Recently I got to the part where RR speaks about LC.
Apart from recommending against inoculating LC directly with spores he mentions a recipe for LC.(this is the better way of making LC)
Quote:

*Extra light malt, dextrose, nutritional yeast, gypsum. Makes the strongest growth. LC/AGAR

Now I have 3 questions. First one is:
Can I use small amount of gypsum and nutritional yeast with honey? Is brewers nutritional yeast the same as the brewers yeast I take as vitamins?
Second question.
Dextrose is a sugar. I know that. But I am not sure if extra light malt is the same as pure maltose?
Can one use coffee as additive to the LC to lower pH and add some nutritions to the mix? The water I use for LC has a pH of around 8,5.

Edited by Estario (06/16/09 09:45 AM)

Invisiblemisfitdeviate

Loc: ESSR
    #10572394 - 06/25/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hey, thanks for this tek, I did it for my first time about a week ago and everything has worked out great!

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Tap water Vs Mineral Water [Re: misfitdeviate] * 1
    #10651571 - 07/10/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I ran out of mineral water and I had to prepare 8 jars and PC them in 2 different pressure cookers. They all ended up with caramelized. I don't know what tap water in my area contains, but it definitely doesn't work for me.

--------------------

Offlinetalane2005
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lawrence
Re: Tap water Vs Mineral Water [Re: Estario] * 1
    #10735783 - 07/24/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

very helpful post. had some pretty good growth, however, even with a small amount of sediments. but you're right, most of my jars that did contain the sediments simply didn't colonize. 

great clear pictures. hopefully no more "what should finished LC look like" questions.

--------------------
See you later, Space Cowboy...

OfflineKaoskid
inspiring mycologist
Male

Re: Tap water Vs Mineral Water [Re: talane2005] * 1
    #10735929 - 07/24/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

im kinda new here and failed at my attempt to create a LC using karo.  im now attempting honey.  could you clarify the part when your pressure cooking them.  you say you check it every five mins to see if its boiling and then you turn the heat down and pressure cook it for 15 mins.  i tried that and my whistle never blew on my PC.  so are you actually achieving the 15psi or what ever psi your going for, or are you just kind of "steaming them"? 

and my first attempt might of failed due to my syringe.  it was from spores101  and after i got some from elsewhere i could see how bad spores101 sucks.  i ordered them prior to my research.

OfflineGnarly Tourettes
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tap water Vs Mineral Water [Re: Kaoskid] * 1
    #10736197 - 07/24/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i have an lc colinizing with a cat hair in it.. had to of been there before sterilizing maybe stick to the inside of the jar lid or something..

i just see it floating around in the myc like wtf stupid cat

--------------------

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Early enzyme development in LC [Re: Gnarly Tourettes] * 1
    #10985649 - 09/02/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a little trick I was told by a more experienced grower. The mycelium has many enzymes coded in its DNA and only the ones necessary for the current type of nutrition are being decoded and used. The DNA sequence of the other enzymes is blocked. This means that when you inoculate a rye jar with a honey LC it takes some time for the mycelium to unblock those parts of the DNA and start synthesizing the necessary enzymes. The trick is to add a bit of the substrate you are going to inoculate to the LC so that the mycelium can unblock the DNA sequences and produce the enzymes, which degrade the substrate in adventive.
Take some of the grain you are using and grind it to a fine powder in a coffee grinder. Than you can add just a pinch of this powder to your LC projects. Grindings ensures small size of the grain which is advisable due to the shorter sterilization times associated with LCs. I will test this new tek soon and will post results for sure.

--------------------

Edited by Estario (09/02/09 10:33 AM)

OfflineMagicMaker
The Lizard King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Terrapin
Re: Early enzyme development in LC [Re: Estario] * 1
    #10987848 - 09/02/09 04:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Estario said:
Here is a little trick I was told by a more experienced grower. The mycelium has many enzymes coded in its DNA and only the ones necessary for the current type of nutrition are being decoded and used. The DNA sequence of the other enzymes is blocked. This means that when you inoculate a rye jar with a honey LC it takes some time for the mycelium to unblock those parts of the DNA and start synthesizing the necessary enzymes. The trick is to add a bit of the substrate you are going to inoculate to the LC so that the mycelium can unblock the DNA sequences and produce the enzymes, which degrade the substrate in adventive.
Take some of the grain you are using and grind it to a fine powder in a coffee grinder. Than you can add just a pinch of this powder to your LC projects. Grindings ensures small size of the grain which is advisable due to the shorter sterilization times associated with LCs. I will test this new tek soon and will post results for sure.

interesting theory, sounds plausible, i have been doing research as I am going to make my first LC soon, this tek looks like a good one to try, my question is, to get the LC out after colonizing it do u just tip the jar as not to wet the polyfil and suck it up? i guess thats the only way,

also want to say you could probably just pull polyfil through a small hole instead of bothering to insert a tube and have to silicon it on both sides, might save you some time,

thanks for the alcohol lamp though thats a damn good idea, you think a peice of a shirt will work or does it have to be wool?

OfflineEstario
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: Early enzyme development in LC [Re: MagicMaker] * 1
    #10988032 - 09/02/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MagicMaker said:

interesting theory, sounds plausible, i have been doing research as I am going to make my first LC soon, this tek looks like a good one to try, my question is, to get the LC out after colonizing it do u just tip the jar as not to wet the polyfil and suck it up? i guess thats the only way,

I just tip the jar a little bit and stick the needle inside. I don't let the edge of the LC touch the lid.
Quote:

also want to say you could probably just pull polyfil through a small hole instead of bothering to insert a tube and have to silicon it on both sides, might save you some time,

I prefer using the tube, because when shaking the jar the liquid flows all around and the tubes serves as a protection for the polyfil. Otherwise it would get wet. It holds the filter in place and also increases its thickness. Also it is much easier to replace the filter if needed once you have the tube installed.
Quote:

thanks for the alcohol lamp though thats a damn good idea, you think a peice of a shirt will work or does it have to be wool?

It has to be a material that can suck up alcohol. Some synthetic materials are not suitable for this purpose, but I think a shirt will work out. An easy test you can perform is soak a piece of the material in alcohol and then squize it. A small stream should come out, which means the material absorbs it and can serve as a wick.

Happy growing. This tek has worked out for me the best. Honey has carbohydrates, amino acids and vitamins which are all essential for the development of a healthy mycelium.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale