Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeffP170
Pupil

Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: Premedman1]
    #10428325 - 05/31/09 11:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Actually I think I like that nickname! But seriously, do you know if using the same strain to print generation after generation of new prints will "weaken the strain", or is that just hocum to make the sales pitch seem more valid?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: JeffP170]
    #10428591 - 05/31/09 04:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've heard arguments both ways, but I don't really see how growing from prints could really hurt the genetics. Mushrooms have grown from spore deposits for thousands of years. I don't see how in the relatively short period of time we humans have been domesticating them much degradation of the DNA would be possible.

I think more of the problem with strains showing changes over time is due to the mislabeling of current strains. Everyone makes mistakes, and when mass producing prints/syringes it's very easy to get them mixed up. It only takes one mislabeled print to get out to cause a problem.

Think of it as the butterfly effect. Think of it as a pyramid. I send you one mislabeled print and you grow it out. You send a few friends prints from that grow and two of them have contests on here or other sites giving out free prints of strain X, which is really strain Y. It doesn't take long to saturate the supply with this mislabeled strain.

I've never been dissatisfied with a tried and tested strain, unless it's one of the novelty strains isolated for unique traits. I stand by the notion that Cubensis "strains" are nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell spores. If you find a substrain you like working with, isolate it on agar and you'll be set.

I collect different strains for fun, not because I'm searching for the illusive "perfect strain".

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10428595 - 05/31/09 04:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
I've heard arguments both ways, but I don't really see how growing from prints could really hurt the genetics. Mushrooms have grown from spore deposits for thousands of years. I don't see how in the relatively short period of time we humans have been domesticating them much degradation of the DNA would be possible.

I think more of the problem with strains showing changes over time is due to the mislabeling of current strains. Everyone makes mistakes, and when mass producing prints/syringes it's very easy to get them mixed up. It only takes one mislabeled print to get out to cause a problem.

Think of it as the butterfly effect. Think of it as a pyramid. I send you one mislabeled print and you grow it out. You send a few friends prints from that grow and two of them have contests on here or other sites giving out free prints of strain X, which is really strain Y. It doesn't take long to saturate the supply with this mislabeled strain.

I've never been dissatisfied with a tried and tested strain, unless it's one of the novelty strains isolated for unique traits. I stand by the notion that Cubensis "strains" are nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell spores. If you find a substrain you like working with, isolate it on agar and you'll be set.

I collect different strains for fun, not because I'm searching for the illusive perfect strain.

well put.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10428670 - 05/31/09 05:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

dude, this thread is a zombie, it has come back from the dead 3 times. Some one cut it's head off and kill it!

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #10428676 - 05/31/09 05:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:

I collect different strains for fun, not because I'm searching for the illusive "perfect strain".

:thumbup:

People often put too much stock in which continent, region, or county a mushroom was growing on, when P. Cubensis grows on almost every corner of the globe. Vendor hype, to a degree, helps keep the Shroomery alive via sponsors, and you can't blame the vendors - people demand a wide variety of strains. Someone also mentioned the effect that the 'name' of a strain can often have on the cultivator - each trip is so subjective, that a cultivator can be hyped up about eating some 'super dank pink buffalos' or 'some South American boomers' and that hype can be subconsciously passed on to the people that also go along for the ride.

:shrug:

All that said, however, the Keeper can go fuck himself.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: Brennus]
    #10429057 - 05/31/09 07:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So I guess that this means that strain threads are now allowed in the cult forum!  Yes!  We should really start calling them races, spore race, yes that is the proper term. 

Quote:

Brennus said:
Quote:

Premedman1 said:

:thumbup:

People often put too much stock in which continent, region, or county a mushroom was growing on, when P. Cubensis grows on almost every corner of the globe. Vendor hype, to a degree, helps keep the Shroomery alive via sponsors, and you can't blame the vendors - people demand a wide variety of strains. Someone also mentioned the effect that the 'name' of a strain can often have on the cultivator - each trip is so subjective, that a cultivator can be hyped up about eating some 'super dank pink buffalos' or 'some South American boomers' and that hype can be subconsciously passed on to the people that also go along for the ride.

:shrug:

All that said, however, the Keeper can go fuck himself.

I am inclined to agree with these statements.  However, I have been growing a particular race from multi-spore for many years now(64 print to print grows), and it just keeps getting better, if it is changing at all.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineJeffP170
Pupil

#10429892 - 05/31/09 10:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: JeffP170]
    #10440004 - 06/02/09 04:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Well the Keeper replied to my email [Re: george castanza]
    #10446892 - 06/03/09 08:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

v

Edited by george castanza (06/06/09 08:02 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds