Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBipolardox
^^^Like the name says^^^
Male

Loc: Renton Wa
The Scent of trouble?
    #10444884 - 06/02/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Stupid question about hunting, but heh, who else would ask it? Couldn't find anything after searching posts for the last 2 hours. So, I've heard of people who when hunting "hear" or "feel" where to look. I'm sure you've heard it before. How about the scent? I go walk every day on my lunch by a pond, lots of leaves, rotten wood, bark dust and wood chips. I swear every time I get with in 30 yards, (or 27.43200 meters) I can smell something that reminds me of mushrooms, that sweet rotting leaf smell, so today I followed my nose, witch put me smack dab in the center of a bunch of blackberry vines, ... that shreded me all to hell, and left some nice little stickers over my ass that I didnt find till I got back to work and sat down!!:pottymouth:. I did indeed find a batch of mushrooms, not active or edible, but mushrooms non the less. Could this just be an odd coincidence? Does anyone out there have any special "sense" they use to hunt? I'm hoping it'll get better then that, I'm still pickin stickers outta my pants. How do they "call" to others. or am I just nuts? Thats possible too, I mean I haven't dreamed of anything BUT mushrooms for weeks, now I gotta take sleeping pills so I'm not too inclined to go hunting my neighbors yard at 2am. Does Extra Mushroom Sensory Perception really exist?:shrug:

--------------------
"When everyone goes home, you're stuck with yourself."
~Layne Staley~
"Life Is Good, and every breath is a gift"  ~Bipolardox~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: The Scent of trouble? [Re: Bipolardox]
    #10444915 - 06/02/09 10:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

chill out man...

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10444924 - 06/02/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is certainly possible to smell mushrooms and mycelium from some distance away.

Often when walking through the woods I smell maple syrup.  This happens only when I am in the correct habitat for candy caps, and it happens even when they aren't fruiting.

A few people on this forum have said that they often smell the mushroom that they are looking for before they see it.  Some species are easier to pick up than others.  Sometimes the smell is so faint that its subconscious, but it gets you looking around.

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: The Scent of trouble? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10445151 - 06/02/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have Shroomdar TM.

I have spotted Gymnopilus junonius at 45MPH while driving. They don't call to me, I don't smell them... I just see them no matter what. I see them out of the corners of my eyes, or directly below me, or under plants in flower beds, or in the woods. I hone in on them somehow. It's crazy. My wife says it's a gift. Or a curse...

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

InvisibleBipolardox
^^^Like the name says^^^
Male

Loc: Renton Wa
Re: The Scent of trouble? [Re: PinheadX]
    #10445304 - 06/03/09 12:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PinheadX said:
I have Shroomdar TM.

I have spotted Gymnopilus junonius at 45MPH while driving. They don't call to me, I don't smell them... I just see them no matter what. I see them out of the corners of my eyes, or directly below me, or under plants in flower beds, or in the woods. I hone in on them somehow. It's crazy. My wife says it's a gift. Or a curse...

I had not yet looked into those, are they good, or edible, Wiki says some are active. They are completely new to me. I see they grow in the PNW, but I dont believe I've ever seen any. Although, I do know the feeling about driving, my first find was also a 45mph drive by, went back after the fact(wife would've killed me had I stopped with her in the car.

--------------------
"When everyone goes home, you're stuck with yourself."
~Layne Staley~
"Life Is Good, and every breath is a gift"  ~Bipolardox~

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
    #10445375 - 06/03/09 12:18 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I can spot birch boletes at about 30mph.  Anything over that and I need to start watching the road!  :dancer:

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom