Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: johnm214]
    #10440426 - 06/02/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 05:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #10440450 - 06/02/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

By that same token, one could say that the killing of the doctor was the vengeance not of the man who shot him, but of the lord who wrote the script.  Looks like that's one answer to the original question.

Another is the one posted above, that the man ought not have judged, and his "free choices" would be looked down on by god. 

Yet another question boiled down to free will vs. determinism

Offlinemonkeywrench
Why Not?

Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: xFrockx]
    #10440500 - 06/02/09 10:06 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

"Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

Quoting the bible only serves to make one look stupid. :rofl2:

--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: johnm214]
    #10440515 - 06/02/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

According to the Bible a person who commits murder isn't a Christian.

1st John 3:15b "....you know that no murderer has eternal life remaining in him."

This would apply to Tiller's killer and Tiller himself.  One heathen killed another.  :shrug:

I allready discussed that prohibition on murder, and you've not offered anything to show this was murder.

Was it?  That's the whole point.  You can't just declare "this was murder" without establishing it is so.

You asked your question within the context of the Bible.  The answer was within the context of the verse.

1st John 3:15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life remaining in him.

So if you even hate your Christian brother you are a murderer.  The Greek word in this instance is anthropoktonos, from anthrôpos (man) and kteine (to kill).  There is no distinction in this verse between killing and murdering.  This is compared to phoneus (murderer)--a murderer (always of criminal (or at least intentional) homicide.

You had also said: "Is there any major sect of christianity that feels it is wrong to kill in defense of the imminent murder of another?  Can the bible be interpreted as to condemn this?  I say no.  It is not wrong under the bible to kill to prevent another's imminent murder."

My response was: "Please show New Testament scriptures to back up your view.  The Bible can be interpreted to defend one's wife or immediate family members, i.e. children.  But it cannot be stretched to include a crime like this."

The New Testament has an extremely strong prohibition against taking the life of another.  So much so that many Christians now think abortion is murder.  Certainly using the Bible as a standard, Scott Roeder committed murder.

--------------------

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: xFrockx]
    #10440631 - 06/02/09 10:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/19/22 12:59 AM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: johnm214]
    #10442184 - 06/02/09 03:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

zouden said:
How is shooting someone in a church not murder? Because the shooter thought it was justified? I'm sure the doctor thought the abortions he performed were justified too.

I thought I went over this before, it is not murder because it is not wrongful killing.  It is not wrongful killing because it is to prevent future wrongful killings.

But that's a subjective judgement. No court would accept that, even though they would accept self-defence. I know courts aren't a final arbiter of morality, of course, but the reasoning is sound: killing him was not the only option to stop the death of babies, so the accused was not forced into killing him. It was his choice.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: zouden]
    #10442364 - 06/02/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Of course, the good doctor killed no babies. This is the dishonesty of the 'Pro-Lifers'. He aborted fetuses that were endangering the mother's health or were genetically deformed. Either way, an ovum is not an embryo is not a fetus is not a baby.

Why are they afraid to say it like it is?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #10442525 - 06/02/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
The definition of fringe is "members of a group holding extreme views."

What is more extreme than the notion that our lives are meant to get as many people as we can to believe the ridiculous idea that a man 2000 years ago was actually God, and he ressurected himself from death?

Actually...
Quote:

fringe  /frɪndʒ/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [frinj]  Show IPA noun, verb, fringed, fring⋅ing.
–noun 1. a decorative border of thread, cord, or the like, usually hanging loosely from a raveled edge or separate strip.
2. anything resembling or suggesting this: a fringe of grass around a swimming pool. 
3. an outer edge; margin; periphery: on the fringe of the art world. 
4. something regarded as peripheral, marginal, secondary, or extreme in relation to something else: the lunatic fringe of a strong political party.

In this context, definitions 2&3 are the most relevant; the views of the group don't have to necessarily be extreme, but the group itself, by definition, must be marginal, peripheral, secondary, etc., and the Catholic church is neither of those.

I agree, though, that the Catholic church is a bunch of bullshit, but if you ever try to reason with people of faith, it goes absolutely nowhere. Trust me, I've tried.  :satansmoking:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10442773 - 06/02/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
1st John 3:15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life remaining in him.

Does this mean that murderers will not be saved?  Didn't Jesus die expressly so that all sinners would be saved?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: deCypher]
    #10442808 - 06/02/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

He died in order to save as many people as possible, but, according to the Bible, if the light has been revealed to you, and you continue to be evil, you will go to hell.
:onfire:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: Poid]
    #10442814 - 06/02/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Do you have a Biblical source on that mandate?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: deCypher]
    #10442829 - 06/02/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If I had the Bible with me, I'd probably be able to find it. I think it's contained somewhere in Revelations...

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #10443278 - 06/02/09 06:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

Does this mean that murderers will not be saved?

According to the context of the verse, no Christian can call themselves one if they hate their Christian brother.  It has nothing to do with murderers that repent and are saved.

Quote:

deCypher said:
  Didn't Jesus die expressly so that all sinners would be saved?

Jesus substitutionary death on the cross and subsequent resurrection are the means by which sinners can be 'saved'.  As Poid pointed out, not all will avail themselves of this.  Those that don't will spend eternity in the lake of fire.

This is standard orthodox Protestant teaching included and found in most doctrinal creeds of evangelical Christianity.

In sum, turn or :onfire:

--------------------

InvisibleFreeker
jackaroe
Male User Gallery
Loc: buffalo
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10443605 - 06/02/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know anything about Christianity but I would assume through logic that you would leave the judgement and punishment up to god, and to assume his position and kill in his name would probably be an offense if anything. If he was going to burn in hell, for eternity, shooting him was meaningless.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10444886 - 06/02/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My overly zealous Catholic uncles think that Protestants are evil. :satansmoking:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Is it "cowardly," wrong ethically, or wrong according to the bible to kill an abortion provider? [Re: zouden]
    #10445339 - 06/03/09 12:11 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ehh, well I guess I must say I'm sorry I included anything to do with the bible- its seems folks immediatly jump to talking about religion or whatever being silly.  Anyways, I retract the question about the bible, anyone care to comment on the question regarding the morality of the act under the stated premises?  Hardly anyone has done that, it seems to me most folks have just equivocated or rejected the presmises of the thread (if folks are going to do this it would be nice to disclaim any purported relevance to teh question asked so the reasoning isn't so puzzling).

Anyways, Mr. Mushrooms, I'll concede the point that there is more authority in the bible that the killing is wrong, but I also suspect that pretty much all chrisitan flavors teach things that lead to this being acceptable, or at least teach things that would make this act not being acceptable manifestly inconsistant with other teachings.
The catholics seem to say their is a difference between murder and killing:
Catechism 2265 and 3 seem to say its your duty to protect people in your care and that killing in defense of wrongful killing is acceptable.
And haven't the protestant churches accepted the commandment as thou shalt not murder rather than kill with the acceptance of a distinction and allowance for self defense and defense of life?

What, if any, chrisitan churches would oppose this act under these premises (which they seem to agree with) under their general teachings of defense of life?  (ignoring inconsistent commands regarding this specific type of act unless they make some rational distinction necessitating the dispartate treatment)

If its acceptable to kill in defense of a person's life then this act would seem acceptable under the premises of the thread.  The only thing I could see is believing you had a duty to attempt to kidnap the guy or cut off his hand or something prior to killing, though I don't buy it given the difficulty and greater chance for failure.  I don't think these alternatives are reasonably available.
Quote:

zouden said:
Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

zouden said:
How is shooting someone in a church not murder? Because the shooter thought it was justified? I'm sure the doctor thought the abortions he performed were justified too.

I thought I went over this before, it is not murder because it is not wrongful killing.  It is not wrongful killing because it is to prevent future wrongful killings.

But that's a subjective judgement. No court would accept that, even though they would accept self-defence. I know courts aren't a final arbiter of morality, of course, but the reasoning is sound: killing him was not the only option to stop the death of babies, so the accused was not forced into killing him. It was his choice.

I'm not so sure under an anagloous situation a court would disallow a self defense claim as a matter of law, or rule it not applicable to the situation.  This exact situation wouldn't work in kansas and other places, but it doesn't really matter cuz the premises of this thread don't hold there: the abortion is not considered a wrongful killing so the defense claim is invalid.

And i don't know why you've decided that if any other option is available someone is bound to take that option.  Its not true in america- even the more strict states only require reasonable options and your not required to put youself at risk or attempt something you couldn't likely do.

i doubt this guy could easily capture the doctor or cut off his hands or whatnot and those are the only alternatives I see.  While its possible other things could work, I see no moral imperitive to pursue other options if the one you choose (killing) is acceptable.  And I think the killing would be acceptable if you knew the abortions would continue and there was no similarly effective solution.  Shooting the guy would be easiest and allow you the greates chance of escaping harm yourself.  I don't see how a defensive killing becomes wrong because you had other options at greater risk to yourself.

The hostage about to be executed could try to stun the guy, stab him in the arm and run, or just run, and all could work.  But I don't think he is under any imperitive to try these before stabbing the guy in the head given the risk to himself and the acceptability of the killing in the abstract.

It seems to me you either believe some strange things from my perspective about the morality of defensive killing or your just trying to reach a different result cuz you don't like where it leads.  I don't think the premises of this question are correct either, but I don't see how the claims of antiabortion groups on moral grounds are sound, presuming they share what i think are pretty common beliefs about hte acceptability of defensive killing-

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10445562 - 06/03/09 01:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

But to draw another analogy, if someone told me he was going to kill another person next week, is it reasonable for me to shoot him?

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #10445683 - 06/03/09 01:49 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Not on that alone.

I tried to set up the o.p. so that the belief that a wrongful killing (many of them) would occur was reasonable and quite convincing (and accurate we can even presume if we think it relevant).

Someone telling you they are going to kill someone next week doesn't by itself let you make a reasonable determination that it is quite certain, like the abortion case, that a person will be wrongfully killed.  It also presents other opportunities that may be expected to prevail.  Talking the guy out of it, seeing if he's likely to do it, seeing if restraining him is possible (with teh aide of the police, et cet).

None of these seem to apply in the case presented in the thread.  The most you can say is that the doctor almost certianly will wrongfully kill several people soon, as he has in the past, and there is an opportunity to attempt things that either are unlikely to work (talking to him, telling the police) or are quite dangerous and present risk of failure (kidnapping, trying to abduct him to cut off his arms, trying to shoot his arms and hoping he can't recover and you aren't caught, et cet).

The main point though is by itself the killing is justified with the abortion doc and the alternatives are much less available or much more risky to the killer whereas with the guy saying he'll kill their are both reasonable alternatives that are likely to work and a doubt as to whether he really will wrongfully kill someone.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10445706 - 06/03/09 01:59 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It's only justifiable if you think that abortion is wrongful killing. Many people, including the state of Kansas, do not. In that case, what the guy did was shoot a man for doing his job.

--------------------

Edited by zouden (06/03/09 02:00 AM)

Invisiblezen buddy
not a buddhist
Male User Gallery

#10446302 - 06/03/09 07:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Ehh, well I guess I must say I'm sorry I included anything to do with the bible- its seems folks immediatly jump to talking about religion or whatever being silly.  Anyways, I retract the question about the bible, anyone care to comment on the question regarding the morality of the act under the stated premises?  Hardly anyone has done that, it seems to me most folks have just equivocated or rejected the presmises of the thread (if folks are going to do this it would be nice to disclaim any purported relevance to teh question asked so the reasoning isn't so puzzling).

Who are you trying to fool? You want us to address the morality of the issue "under the stated premise". What exactly are you looking for? Seems to me like you want to dismiss any point that does not agree with yours.

I've already addressed how irrational and immoral this act is and all you have to say is that I rejected the premise of this thread. Seems to me that you might want to rethink your question.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale