Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewinstondanforth
Stranger
MAKING MY CLOSET, NEED SOME HELP AND CLARIFICATION. steam the whole room distance between trays
    #10430931 - 05/31/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So I have a little space in my basement and this is what I am going
to do.

Build a room and insultae it. In the room I want to put a tray 3.5 wide and 10 foot long. I am going to fill the tray with straw. Case it and see what happens.

How much rye grain spawn do I need to use per square foot?

No I want to put a couple of trays on top of each other, How much room is it I need between trays so that the mushrooms get enough lite and have enough space to grow.

Oh yeah, I have been wanting to know do you have to water them every day liek a plant? Or just mist the beds lightly when cased

Now for pasturization I want to steam the whole room. I want to put the straw in the trays and just pasturize the whole room. Not sure how to do this though. I was athinking a Steam generator. But most that I have been able to find on ebay say they only go up to 115. The room is going to be insulated peroperly. Any Suggestions?

Also giong to control the air temerature with a watercooled ac that I have lying around for soem strange reason.

Now I have 8 qts of spawn going right now, I know that I am goign to need one hella of alot more to get on with my hobby. I was thinking of injecting the jars with distilled water from sterilzed needles and shaking them up, then takign the water with mycellium in it and injecting a couple of ccs in sterilzed rye grain jars like how I Started the mycellium.

I should be able to turn 8qts of rye grain in to everything I need no? Well thats about it! Thanks everyone

Edited by winstondanforth (05/31/09 05:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: Making my closet [Re: winstondanforth]
    #10430961 - 05/31/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Not to revamp your plans ... why don't you go with your basement closet and do shelves of monotubs .... all you'll need are lights and a fan.

Pasteurize with hot water in smaller batches

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making my closet [Re: uncle_rico]
    #10430985 - 05/31/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

uncle_rico said:
Not to revamp your plans ... why don't you go with your basement closet and do shelves of monotubs .... all you'll need are lights and a fan.

Pasteurize with hot water in smaller batches

Genius

:popcorn:

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: MAKING MY CLOSET, NEED SOME HELP AND CLARIFICATION. steam the whole room distance between trays [Re: winstondanforth]
    #10431144 - 05/31/09 05:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds pretty damn ambitious considering the types of questions you are asking.  You got vision, I'll tell you that.  I'd start a little smaller if I were you.  Make sure you can hack it with a greenhouse first, train the old eyeball a little on how to spot things and tell when everythings right, THEN expand your empire.  Now to answer a few points from your post....  Ditch the jars, a grow like you are describing is going to take mycobags that's for damn sure.  Might as well order 1000.  You get the best price in that quanitity.  A quarter a piece so I hear.  Go ahead and invest money in a big ass pressure cooker, or two.  I suggest the AA 941 http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/941.htm .  It's big, it's bad, and it'll keep you from spending the rest of your life pressure cooking spawn.  Then get one of these to pasteurize your straw or whatever. http://www.outdoorcookingequipmentstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=64 ; It's a 164 quart stockpot.  It's equally big and bad, and unless you want to spend your life pasteurizing, this is what you'll need.  The amount of spawn per square foot is up for debate.  A lot depends on how fast you want it to colonize and how deep the sub is.  I'd suggest a 5-6 inch sub for what you are describing, and I wouldn't go less than 1 quart of spawn per square foot for fast colonization.  I would give those trays at least 2-3 feet of clearance between each one.  A grow like this is gonna produce some huge honkers, plus you will need room to mount those light fixtures.  Forearm sized shrooms are not at all uncommon on bulk straw like you're describing.  Two 8-foot fluorescent tubes will be necessary for even lighting.  Good luck finding it in the color spectrum you want.  That's gonna be a challenge.  You will need to water the beds, but not like a plant.  Way less water than a plant.  You will need a fine mist sprayer to do it right.  The sub needs to stay moist, but not wet.  Temps will probably be fine in the basement but an a/c couldn't hurt.  I'd suggest piping it in from the central home unit as a window unit is going to be a security risk.  Did I mention beefing up the basement door, boarding the windows and installing large double locks on the whole thing?  Haha, the list goes on.  I can't even believe I'm entertaining this idea.  I guess I just had too much coffee and free time.  LOL.  Good luck man, you're gonna need it.  Make a grow log when you get going.  I guarantee it will be the most bad-ass grow log this site has ever seen.
:sip: :popcorn:

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: Making my closet [Re: Damion5050]
    #10431170 - 05/31/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

EDIT:deleted accidental double post

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

Edited by Stealthgrower (05/31/09 05:47 PM)

OfflinebrainsOplenty
myconut
Male

Loc: on your sister
Re: Making my closet [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10431196 - 05/31/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

sounds nice, but you'd be putting all your eggs in one basket. you'd be pretty pissed if you dropped that basket. start off a lil smaller, monotubs or a martha setup.

--------------------
FOR GOD'S SAKE MAN! TELL ME ABOUT THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!!!

LIVIN THE LIFE!!!

"WE KNOCK NIGGAS OUT AND MAKE EM BOUNCE LIKE RICKY HATTON"- IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Making my closet [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #10431227 - 05/31/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You need to do alot more reading a learning before you attempt something of that scale. You need to understand how fungus lives and grows, what it needs before even coming close.

youve not even mentioned how your are gong to take care of fresh air exchange or humidity.

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

check this out first, then watch the other videos on that site.

You dont have to start on the pf tek, but watchin those videos will answer alot of questions and it basically shows breifly the life cycle of a mushroom. what fruting conditions are required and basic procedures that apply to other grows.

Rather than use a whole room, a couple of marthas would probably be more than enough. or several monotubs.

But why do you need a whole room dedicated for fruiting anyway?

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinemushroommaan
Stranger
Male
Re: Making my closet [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10431361 - 05/31/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Keep it simple man. If you over complicate this stuff you are just making it more likely for yourself to mess up. At least get one or two monotubs under your belt before you create an entire room for your grows.
Also to expand your spawn take those 8 quart jars and do grain to grain transfers into mycobags with 3-4 quarts of sterilized rye in it. This will multiply your 8 quarts to 40ish.

--------------------
Welcome to mushroom land,
Home of the Mushroommaan,
Who lives on Shroomery way.

Offlinewinstondanforth
Stranger
Re: Making my closet [Re: mushroommaan]
    #10440144 - 06/02/09 08:18 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well I plan on heating the room with a water cooled air conditioner that I have left over from an other project.
Keeping the humidity I have a humidifier that I have put on a piece of Styrofoam and going to sit in a garbage can.

I do not want to do mono tubes, The mono tubes I have seen seem to have humidifiers attached. Again it just seems alot simpler to make the room one big monotub?

Dont want to have to do lots of smaller batches of pasteurization. Would seem to make alot more sense just bringing the whole room up to proper temperatures with all the straw in place. That way you cut down on contamination issues with moving the straw around and the whole room gets cleaned as well with the steam.

Seems like a sauna steamer might do the trick.... trying to fine one that will get up hi enough temp. Most have safety feature that makes them stop at 115 from looking around. 7 degrees short of 122 for slow 24 hour pasteurization.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The controlling of the air-exchange etc. and temps should not have any problems with. Have experience with this from other types of projects.

Myco bags seems like alot better then jars thanks!

Well, thanks everyone

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: Making my closet [Re: winstondanforth]
    #10440189 - 06/02/09 08:31 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry man, after reading your last post, you're doomed for failure on a grow of this scale.  You just haven't read enough or grasped the basics yet.  It's monoTUB, not monotube, and none of them have humidifiers attached, EVER.  You are confusing chambers.  Your whole room steam pasteurization isn't going to work either for several reasons which I'm just going to skip here because I'm on the way into work.  I tried to give you an idea what you are up against but you aren't quite grasping it. I suggest doing a lot more reading and learning, and then starting smaller till you get the basics down.

--------------------
Infea said:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Making my closet [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10440211 - 06/02/09 08:40 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stealthgrower said:
Your whole room steam pasteurization isn't going to work either for several reasons which I'm just going to skip here

+1

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate