Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Morning Glories under Pine tree's. Updated 6-16-09
    #10438751 - 06/02/09 08:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

A lot of the southern side of my house is covered in partial shade.
(meaning it gets direct sunlight for 3 hours and indirect light for the rest of the time)

So this experiment has been formed! I'm going to devote a portion of my ethno babies to this partial shade, poor soil area, to see which ethnos most readily resist the natural toxicity of pine laced soil!

This will be a true experiment, with variables and control's.

-(Sunlight variable:)-

Half of the pine laced soil gets bright sunlight almost all afternoon (1-8pm)

Half of the pine laced soil gets only partial sunlight(sun through the tree's), all day long.

-(/Sunlight Variable)-

Today, The partial sunlight plot, cleared with a rake:

Then run over thoroughly and slowly with a lawn mower to remove (by wind) as many pine needles as possible: (Truely a saturated pine environment!)

Expanded, with the same methods:

Marked for tilling: (You'll notice I ran into large roots once the weeds were cleared away. I'm going to put potted plants into this area, thus utilizing the space, avoiding damaging the trees, and saving myself a lot of hard work).

Tilled all along wall, where Morning Glories are going to planted:

Control number 1, the potted Morning Glories:

The experiments, 6 morning glories planted directly into the ground, 4 of them planted into holes filled with Miracle Grow, 2 planted directly into the soil as-is.

Tomorrow I will repeat the process in the much brighter part of the pine laced soil, so that sunlight can be ruled in or out as vital to plants surviving pine laced environments ^_^

AND THEN ONTO THE OTHER ETHNO EXPERIMENTS! WOO!

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Edited by demonicaeroponic (06/17/09 03:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #10438971 - 06/02/09 09:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ummm... crap. White Chanterelles?  Maybe. I don't know. I hate pine trees, and have never had to deal with them.

So lets see, if I had pine trees, what would I do (besides cutting them down)? They make soil really acidic and shady. I would plant... azaleas. God, gag me.  I'd have an old lady's garden.  No, I would plant alpine strawberries.  Thousands and thousands of alpine strawberries.  That'd be awesome. Oooh, or maybe if you have a warm enough climate, brugmansia.  You could probably get away with datura in the sunny parts. 

Anyway, back to your solution.  I really like the experimentation aspect.  That's the sort of fiddling that drives our knowledge base.  I'm excited to see pictures as this progresses, though I'll warn you, unless you train those morning glories vigilantly, it's going to be really hard to tell which is which in about a month.  Anyway, good luck to you, and keep experimenting!

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: Horticulture]
    #10439468 - 06/02/09 10:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Do you think they'll do well with the amount of light they get?
The benefit of course being that in partial shade they'll survive the dog days of august a little easier =)

I'll be planting the sunny side tomorrow, and in a week I should be planting some kanna in the exact same experimental fashion ^_^

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

Edited by demonicaeroponic (06/02/09 10:55 AM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #10439988 - 06/02/09 04:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i'd replace it with a maple :smirk:

but have fun with your experiments.  im sure some things will still grow -ok- there.  try weedy species like grasses and perhaps desmanthus.  i know for a fact broom will grow under that shit, but not sure why anyone would *intentionally* plant that shit!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

#10465889 - 06/07/09 10:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just wanted to let everybody know that things are coming along nicely, all of my plants are still identical in growth, so sunlight and soil seem to have no effect on young Morning Glory seedlings growing as fast as they can =)

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineTheManWithTheHat
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wonder Land
    #10467794 - 06/08/09 05:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I dont't want to be a downer, but your experimental design is a little off-ish, the soils can mix and the sample size is too small for starters... :frown:
Sorry, my brain is still in statistics mode, but yeah...
I guess if you want input feel free to ask, but otherwise I think I was just making note of it, for whatever reason

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: TheManWithTheHat]
    #10470424 - 06/08/09 08:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

MG grow faster if you give them shitty light and make them stretch.  also give them something to lean on so they know they can climb, it really makes a difference....once that happens, they are ALL GO.  but many species tend to slow a bit in flower time.

--------------------

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: kadakuda]
    #10471022 - 06/08/09 10:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just checked out my plants, the ones sown into the soil seem to be riddled with insect damage, whereas the ones 3 inches above the soil in planters are completely unaffected my insect damage.

I assume this means some crawling, not flying, insects are eating the new growth (all the growing tips were eaten off)

This single act has single-handedly set the growth of the soil-sown plants back quite a bit behind the potted ones, so I suppose the experiment has just provided results as well as just ended in the regard to the soil affecting growth.

so in conclusion...

Experiment results: Plants in pots are less prone to insect damage.

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #10471099 - 06/08/09 10:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Eh....  if the insects are hungry, they WILL find your plants.  I'd give it a week till the potted ones get harassed.

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #10473484 - 06/09/09 05:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

true, I was just stating that if indeed the potted plants don't get attacked, their growing tips will be quite a bit farther along than the plants who's tips were eaten. Meaning, the plants in the soil will look much worse than the potted ones, giving an illusion that the pine-laced-soil was the problem, when in fact it wasn't...

Although a few of my plants in the soil still have tips so I will indeed continue monitoring their progress.

Also, by season's end I will be able to tell you if you can plant morning glories under all your pine tree's next year as ground cover that is attractive as well as active, utilizing previously useless space on your property.

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

#10474404 - 06/09/09 07:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Insect damage to morning glories? In about a week or two, nothing is going to be able to eat those things fast enough. 

Probably the correct conclusion thus far is that herbivorous insects inhabit the ground, and have more difficulty accessing plants in pots, or at least initially (like Harvey said).

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#10474424 - 06/09/09 07:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

that would be slugs/snails.....they are tricky buggers.  when the mg climbs, it wont be an issue...but aphids and caterpillars will be!

--------------------

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: kadakuda]
    #10475178 - 06/09/09 10:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah they seem to be devoting time to growing roots at the moment and not quite so much time growing taller, although they certainly are growing faster than all of my other plants. (tobacco grows slow as hell from seed)

on a side note, how many seeds does an average MG plant produce? (more importantly, how many seeds per flower, and how many flowers on an average sized plant?)

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

#10475261 - 06/09/09 10:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Each pollinated flower produces about 4 seeds.  Each vine produces... tons of flowers.  I would say...expect somewhere around 5-30 per plant per day at the peak of the season. Most of them will produce seeds. 

Also, tobacco will grow really slow at first, but once it gets in some warm soil, it grows incredibly fast.  I've got some ornamental Nicotiana, and the ones I left in pots in the greenhouse (cooled in the summer) haven't done shit, but the ones I planted in the soil have started to take off.  This also makes me wonder if they're heavily dependent on some sort of soil fungi/organisms. As small as their seeds are, it wouldn't surprise me.  I'll mess around some with it next year.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: Horticulture]
    #10475625 - 06/09/09 01:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

tobacco also does best with only or mostly N fert's.  once they flower they kind of stop the leaves and stretch a bit like weed i guess.  they will grow perennial as well if you dont have winters.

the mg quantity depends entirely on how big your plant is.  bigger plant=bigger harvests.  but even small plants have decent loads of seeds...which is why they are an invasive weed.

--------------------

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

#10518818 - 06/17/09 03:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Update 6-16-09
Okay, so insects have nearly killed off all of my experimental morning glories =( I've been treating with NEEM oil but it doesn't seem to have effect. I also noticed a slug on one of my plants, can anybody tell me what measures I should be taking to prevent all this insect damage? perhaps a preferred garden-safe insecticide?
(I have meijer, walmart, home depot, and a lowes within a mile of me)

My potted MG's have been showing wonderful improvement though!

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #10518843 - 06/17/09 03:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you need beer traps!

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #10519074 - 06/17/09 04:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lol kidding or serious?

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

Invisiblejds

#10519109 - 06/17/09 04:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It works for real, slugs fall in it and die

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

OfflineTheManWithTheHat
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wonder Land
Re: What ethno's grow under/around pine trees? (it could be morning glories!) [Re: jds]
    #10531164 - 06/19/09 12:52 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:
It works for real, slugs fall in it and die

Yup, as random as it sounds, it kills a shit ton of them

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains