Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethefiendhitman
Male User Gallery

Loc: AZ Flag
Starting cacti seeds. (Soil Mix)
    #10429285 - 05/31/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just received some cacti seeds. I have never grown cacti from seed before, and I can't find any answer that I find satisfactory.

I have no sand, but I do have Miracle Gro cactus mix, regular seed starting mix, and perlite. Is there any way that I can use one of these or some combination of these three to make an acceptable mix for starting cactus seeds?

I am planning on using a 72-cell seed tray. I can do any method for watering, that is not my concern, but the soil mix is a large concern for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--------------------
Quote (Ineffable Ant):
I don't think that entheogens can heal or teach anyone anything major unless they want to be healed or to learn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekergan
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting cacti seeds. (Soil Mix) [Re: thefiendhitman]
    #10429506 - 05/31/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinethefiendhitman
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting cacti seeds. (Soil Mix) [Re: kergan]
    #10430092 - 05/31/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've seen that thread, it didn't quite answer my question. Hence, I asked it here.

I haven't got cactus compost, or sand. Just some Ferry Morse Seed Starting mix, miracle gro cactus soil and perlite.

If no one gives me any advice, I think that I'm going to go with a mix of:
20% Miracle Gro Cactus mix
40% seed starting mix
40% perlite

and then crush up a layer of perlite to put on top of the whole mix to act as sand for the seeds to sit on.  Sound decent? Considering what I have at my disposal.

P.S. I have no money to spare at the moment. So I can't really go buy more stuff, and I'd like to get these seeds planted. I should be getting another job soon, but for right now, I have nothing.

--------------------
Quote (Ineffable Ant):
I don't think that entheogens can heal or teach anyone anything major unless they want to be healed or to learn.

Offlinetenacioustornado
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10430252 - 05/31/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

sounds fine I don't know if I'd crush up perlite as sub for sand(I'm not too experienced cacti grower though so maybe else could chime in) just don't cover the seeds on top the seed starting mix/cacti mix and keep moist push in with your thumb a little  and keep moist in humidity dome. I got 100 percent germination using peat pellets(which are really moist) with various trichs and lophs so moisture I don't think is as big of an issue as it's made out to be IMO. If any mold grows spray a very tiny amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide very cheap. What kinds are you starting?

Offlinethefiendhitman
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting cacti seeds. (Soil Mix) [Re: tenacioustornado]
    #10430297 - 05/31/09 03:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

As of right now, Mammillaria Dioica, Ariocarpus Kotschubeyanus, and Trichocereus bridgesii if I am remembering correctly.

Hopefully it will all go well. I just want some input on the soil mix. Thanks for the advice! I have a humidity dome I will be using as well. I also conveniently have hydrogen peroxide laying around somewhere. So I'll keep that in mind too! Thanks for that.

Still waiting to see if anyone thinks that my mix is a good mix for cacti...

--------------------
Quote (Ineffable Ant):

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #10430633 - 05/31/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Forget the cactus mix, the chunks of bark and twigs are no good for starting seeds and will only attract pests to the moist environment.
If all you have at hand is seed starting mix and perlite, then you can get by. You can use 1 part seed starting mix, 2 parts crushed perlite and 1 part regular perlite. This isn't necessary, but its good to have a varying degree of coarseness in the medium.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinethefiendhitman
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting cacti seeds. (Soil Mix) [Re: satyr]
    #10433915 - 06/01/09 05:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, that sounds doable to me. I'll save the cactus mix until I transplant then. Who knows when that will be though... Years? :lol:

Either way, this sounds good to me. Thanks satyr.

--------------------
Quote (Ineffable Ant):

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds