Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) (**UPDATED WITH FINAL PICS**)
    #10411009 - 05/27/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tray #1: This B+ tray is a SURPRISING 5 days into fruiting. I was under the impression that fruiting only took about a week and these seem to have shot up to about the one inch mark and stalled completely. Thoughts on this dilemma? The tray seems pretty dry, at least in comparison to others, is there any way to re-moisten it or is it too detrimental to get standing water on the fruits? Also it may have been getting less light then the others because of its position in my closet in relation to the window. I just put those lights in today but they aren't anything special. Should I turn the tank around to get more light on that side?

Tray #2: This is my second B+ tray and is about 7 days into fruiting. Those four big guys are the very first pins that i got and they had a good 2 day start on the rest of the mushrooms in its tray. I'm going to harvest them tonight/tomorrow morning. They are about 4 inches and the rest don't seem to be getting any bigger. Do you think it would benefit the growth of the others to harvest the big ones early?

Tray #3: This beauty is my Penis Envy tray. Its about 5 days into fruiting and seems to be progressing at the most even rate. If you looks close (I know the pics suck, they are off of my cell phone) a lot have turned 180 degrees and have their caps facing the ground. Side pinning is minimal and I am going to put in garbage bags next round to completely eliminate it.

I know the lack luster results I am getting could easily be contributed to low FAE but I would argue against that prognosis. I have an aquarium pump bubbling through water and mist/fan as much as possible (maybe 5 times a day). Any criticisms, comments, questions, or ANSWERS are welcome. Thanks for your time.

--------------------
A human race with more highly developed spiritual capacities, with expanded consciousness of the depth and the incomprehensible wonder of being, would also have greater understanding of and better consideration for the biological and material foundation of life on this earth, Above all, for Western people with their hypertrophied rationality, the development and expansion of a direct, emotional experience of reality, unobstructed by words and concepts, would be of evolutionary significance.

Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined.

To fall in hell or soar angelic,
You need a pinch of psychedelic.

Edited by Moonraker (05/31/09 05:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Re: Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) [Re: Moonraker]
    #10411119 - 05/27/09 11:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

First off, ditch the aluminum tray. The myc will eat the bottom and little holes will appear.

Yes, the sub looks a little dry. After the pin set, I always spray water  on to the sub. The shromms need water the live. so keep on spraying. You do have to watch how much water you put on. To much and mold will start to grow.

You didn't mention which method you choose to grow shrooms. What kind of FC do you have? What is the temp and RH of the FC?

These questions are very important to give advice to you.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
Re: Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) [Re: Starrider]
    #10411151 - 05/27/09 11:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

-one way of hydrating trays during fruiting is to pour a little water down the side cracks of the trays and the bottom of the substrate will soak it up.  I have found that the big secret to great grows is WATER.  Most people are too dry rather than too wet.

-those fruits on tray#2 should be picked NOW.  And yes, they may be hogging some water from pins that need it more.

Quote:

Starrider said:
What kind of FC do you have? What is the temp and RH of the FC?
These questions are very important to give advice to you.

It looks like a glass tank with perlite.  I'm sure his RH and temps are fine, if they weren't he wouldn't get those good pinsets.

Edited by Dudester67 (05/27/09 11:32 PM)

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#10411195 - 05/27/09 11:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Right right, sorry for leaving out those imperative pieces of data.

Keep in mind: I've only had this project since the stage with fully colonized jars, my friend couldn't fruit them so I took the little shroomies under my wing. HE chose to use just rye seed for the sub and then case with ONLY peat moss. I would have done things a little differently like added verm at least but he insisted that we do it his way, so we will see how this turns out and then next crop I will adjust things accordingly. My FC is just a glass aquarium, it has no holes so I need to fan as much as possible. The RH is an easy 100% due to the perlite at the bottom and the bubblers. The temp varies because I really don't have a fool proof method for heating it yet (I'm going to get an aquarium heater and heat water at the bottom nex time, next time...) but it usually is 70-80.

So you are saying that I should directly mist the first tray? Why do I think that I heard that you shouldn't get water directly on the fruits?

(Just out of curiosity: should you signature's quote be "...appear to man AS it is..." or "...AT it is..."?)

--------------------
A human race with more highly developed spiritual capacities, with expanded consciousness of the depth and the incomprehensible wonder of being, would also have greater understanding of and better consideration for the biological and material foundation of life on this earth, Above all, for Western people with their hypertrophied rationality, the development and expansion of a direct, emotional experience of reality, unobstructed by words and concepts, would be of evolutionary significance.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
    #10411303 - 05/27/09 11:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, just using grain doesn't help the myc to grow. They need to feed. To the grain mixture I would have added, coir, coffee grounds, gypsum, and a little verm. Moisten it up and there wouldn't be a need to case.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#10411330 - 05/27/09 11:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I know man, I'm surprised I got the pin set that I did. But its a little late to un-case it don't ya think?;)

But I can just pour water into the tray, in between the sub and tray? And I can mist the fruits directly?

--------------------

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10411350 - 05/27/09 11:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Moonraker said:
I'm going to get an aquarium heater and heat water at the bottom nex time, next time...

You definitely DON'T want to do that.  Your temps are fine as are temp fluctuations.  Also, you can get rid of those junky air pumps and bubblers, they're doing nothing for you.  Perlite alone is more than enough for humidity.

And yes, you can mist your trays.  If you're doing casings (which you need to if fruiting straight from rye) you should have a look at Hyphae's pinning strategy:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3290155/an/0/page/0

Edited by Dudester67 (05/27/09 11:59 PM)

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) [Re: Dudester67]
    #10411431 - 05/28/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hey thanks a lot Dudester. Most people on here just yell at noobs like myself and tell them about the search function. You on the other hand give me an awesome link. I understand when people don't want to type out a bunch of the same shit every night but a link goes a long way. So thanks that strategy is an excellent read, i just skimmed it for the time being but will finish it later tonight.

Thanks for your help.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10411500 - 05/28/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

no sweat.  you're hardly a noob if you're successfully casing straight rye.  but if you really want to get into this hobby, try spawning that rye to bulk.  it's one easy extra step that makes a world of difference.  in fact, what you're doing now is actually a bit harder.  anyway, good luck.

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) [Re: Dudester67]
    #10430944 - 05/31/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So as if I just found god I began to religiously mist heavily and fan like a madman. As it turns out the tray were just really dry hence the stall. The aquarium air pump (which I read about and thought was such a good idea for FAE) actually caused the humidity to drop and in turn dry the trays out. Needless to say I haven't turned that on again. Anyways, last night all the veils broke and the caps opened up wide as if to say "Good morning Moonraker, you've out-done your expectations for this new hobby." So without any further ado, here are the final pics.

This is the final picture of Tray #1. It had the best pin set and was the most dried out due to its close proximity to the air pump. Some reckless watering that really didn't seem to stunt growth at all and everything was back on track:

This is the final picture of tray #2. As pictured earlier, it had about 5 fruits that matured early but the rest, although slower, still matured to just as big if not bigger than the first 5:

Here is the biggest fruit out of tray #2. It was really not all much bigger than the rest. It seems like there was a fairly even growth on all fruits but this one is the 'monster':

And here are all the B+'s drying out in the sun:

This is the final for the Penis Envy tray. The fruits weren't that tall but they kick some ass. I tried a handfulish last night, I don't have a scale so I just ate to my hearts desire and probably ate around 4 grams of these bad-boys:

And here they are drying (at night, sorry):

Like I said: I don't have a scale so I would like to hear some guesses on weight (however rough they will be). We could make a game out of it because I will be weighing them on Friday when I have a little trip with some of my closest psychonauts. This is a bigger yield then I could have ever hoped for and hope this success carries over into my coming flushes and new trays. Thank you so much Shroomery for all your help and Inspiration. Peace and happy tripping!:mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10431545 - 05/31/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

nice work, youd ont have to turn the air pump off, its just not supplying enough fresh air. Many people keep saying that air pumps are rubbish for FAE.

You also need to mist, as you have discovered, to replace moisture that evaporates.

Good work.

Build yourself a shotgun fruiting chamber, they work great.

when i have the cash will be building 1 for some edible grows which do poorly without good FAE. Except depending on the species the lid will be left lsightly of or complelty off depending on how much FAE is required, and extra misting to make up for the drop in humidity

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Questions about fruiting (WITH PICS) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10431617 - 05/31/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
nice work, youd ont have to turn the air pump off, its just not supplying enough fresh air. Many people keep saying that air pumps are rubbish for FAE.

You also need to mist, as you have discovered, to replace moisture that evaporates.

Thank you very much. The thing is though that I was fanning in tandem with the pump. I have a 55 gallon aquarium and a pump that was intended for that sized tank so it does have a pretty high output and hence the drying. Also at the beginning I was hesitant to mist the trays directly, I had read a lot of warnings on here about how getting water on your fruits could damage your grow severely. However since I have been misting around the fruits and every now and again accidentally on the fruits there have been truly no draw backs, what are the dangers of doing this? What is so wrong about distilled water on the fruits if they love a high RH so much?

--------------------

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#10432521 - 05/31/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So did I just imagine reading that it is bad to get standing water on your fruits/mycellium? Maybe something like stunting growth or risk of contams? I don't know, maybe I did imagine it...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder