Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRemiMartin
Loc: UK
Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco
    #1042954 - 11/11/02 09:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Monday, 11 November, 2002, 10:57 GMT
Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco

Smoking pure cannabis is more harmful to lungs than tobacco, a health charity is warning.
A study by the British Lung Foundation found that just three cannabis joints a day cause the same damage as 20 cigarettes.

And when cannabis and tobacco are smoked together, the effects are dramatically worse.

Evidence shows that tar from cannabis cigarettes contains 50% more cancer causing carcinogens than tobacco.

Dr Mark Britton, chairman of the British Lung Foundation, said: "These statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief it is safer for them.

"It is vital that people are fully aware of the dangers so they can make an educated decision and know the damage they may be causing."

Dr Britton emphasised that the British Lung Foundation report - called A Smoking Gun? - was "not about the moral rights and wrongs of cannabis".

But, he said, they simply wanted to make sure people were completely clear about the respiratory health risks involved.

Misconception

Surveys carried out earlier this year showed that 79% of children believed that cannabis was 'safe'.

Only 2% understood correctly that there are health risks associated with smoking the drug.

The British Lung Foundation report also shows that the health dangers of cannabis have substantially increased since the 1960s.

That means that clinical studies carried out in the sixties and seventies may well underestimate the ill effects of smoking the drug.

This is due to increased amounts of THC - or delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, the major active chemical compound - in the cannabis consumed today.

Pleasure receptors

In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and thereby influences the activity of those cells.

Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.

Dame Helena Shovelton, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said: "Puff and inhalation volume with cannabis is up to four times higher than with tobacco - in other words you inhale deeper and hold your breath with the smoke for longer before exhaling.

"This result in more poisonous carbon monoxide and tar entering into the lungs."

The British Lung Foundation is calling for the government to implement a public health education on the health risks of cannabis.

The charity will also be pushing for further research into cannabis and the lungs and its potential link with the development of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2419713.stm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: RemiMartin]
    #1044806 - 11/11/02 09:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Doesn't bother me...i smoke about 3 joints a week. And even if i smoked 3 joints a day it still wouldn't make a difference to me. I believe this is just a lame bid to get a few people to change their minds about pot since its getting pretty close to decriminalization in Britian.

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #1045009 - 11/11/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So that is with joints...how about pipes and bongs?
The reporting on these scientific studies pisses me off...they don't give enough detail...how big were the joints? Did they consist of only high quality bud, or leaf as well? And what cigarettes are they comparing them to? (Here in New Zealand, most smokers smoke 'rollies', small cigs that you roll yourself)
And who the fuck were the 'children' that they surveyed? 5 year olds?
Bla bla bla...rambling

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #1045016 - 11/11/02 10:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Egads!!!! And I was planning on living for ever!

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1045023 - 11/11/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was also going to post this, I read it at www.newscientist.com. I thought marijuana was just as potent back in the 60's as it is now. And being more potent is better, because you don't have to smoke as much of it to get high.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1047828 - 11/12/02 08:58 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

There seems to be heaps of studies saying weed is better/worse than tobacco. Not to long ago I read one saying that the leaves have 7x the tar, while the buds only have 1/2 the tar of tobacco. it then went on the say that since most people smoke buds its better for you than tobacco, which is in stark contrast with this study. I prefere to have numerical facts rather than generalisations, such as "more tar" as this lets you interpret the evidence, so you judge for yourself.

Offlinefriggin wigga
fungi ingestor

Loc: Trip Land
    #1055221 - 11/15/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I just wanted to let you in on a little secret.......listen to this. http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/wesun/20021110.wesun.05.ram

--------------------
- Without this precious mana, we wouldn't know ourselves.-

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: Feelers]
    #1057551 - 11/16/02 02:54 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

what about hash?

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

OfflineShpongleIsGod
Seeker

Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: rhizo]
    #1064348 - 11/18/02 10:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The positive mental/physical effects by far outweigh the negative physical effects. Cannabis has dramatically increased my quality of life, maybe it makes it shorter, but life is much more enjoyable and interesting.

--------------------
And we can take this huge universe and put it inside a very tiny head; you fold it. -Shpongle

Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: ShpongleIsGod]
    #1072810 - 11/21/02 04:12 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i thought so.  i always new the amount of irratants in herb were more harmful that cigs.  but at least we all new which poison we would rather choose :wink: 

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: ShpongleIsGod]
    #1072984 - 11/21/02 06:16 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well I think the chances of getting a life threatening ilness due to pot in the uk is high. This is because the quality of weed is so bad that theres plastic, unkown chemicles, shoe pollish and a number of other hazadous impurities. I would say bud is safer if smoked without tobacco, but I am not sure what the thc levels has to do with anything its not the thc that causes the cancer its the other chemicles.
But in the end Pot is ok but its no longer for me, makes me to lazy kills my memory and motivation which is no good since i am at uni and basicaly i have no energy.
But people should make up there own choices based on actualy fact not fantsy media crap used to controll the population.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
    #1072986 - 11/21/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The reason for this is that cannabis soaks up more heavy metals then tobacco and heavy metals and the body don't mix well. Its why cannabis is being used to clean up turnoble (sp?) it soaks up all that nice radio active shit.

Well there are naturally cancer causing substances in the ground and smoking any plant will release those into your lungs. Cannabis soaks up the most so er go it is worse then tabacco when smoked.

As a side note, look into how cancerouse penuts are and you'll see that alot of things soak up enough heavy metals to be harmfull.

Offlinegreenhaze
one toke overthe line

Loc: the severed garden
    #1079353 - 11/23/02 12:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i was never able to understand....i can take the hugest hit off my pipe and fill my lungs and not cough at all, but on the rare occasion when i feel like smokin' a cigarette, i always cough like crazy...if marijuana smoke is so much worse for you then why is tabacco smoke so much more harsh??? fuck those guys...i'm going on what my own body tells me not some scientists that are most likely getting paid by the government...

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ�...
    #1079465 - 11/23/02 01:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It's all Bullshit propaganda the US is spending millions of dollars trying to kill the dream of legalization, and don?t think that research cant be bought.
You know its funny I never met or even heard of someone contraction lung cancer from weed and only weed.
Read this study, which the US Cut funding for.

Pot Kills Cancer Cells
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2587.html

Pot has positive affects on Learning.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2689.html

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: RemiMartin]
    #1097953 - 11/30/02 06:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#1098223 - 11/30/02 11:14 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

smoke red ganja

--------------------
Cuba Libre

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1117372 - 12/06/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Why not just eat it instead? Eliminates any risk then.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineakjakj
Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: T0aD]
    #1121576 - 12/08/02 03:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No way is cannabis worse than tobacco.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis smoke 'worse' than tobacco [Re: akjakj]
    #1150558 - 12/18/02 02:09 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

if you processed cannabis the exact same way as tobacco and put it in a filtered machine made cigarette THEN test them side by side. an unfiltered joint will be bad for your lungs. i hear smoking dried lettuce leaves is bad for your lungs too. when will they make this devil's vegetable lettuce illegal, it must be killing millions!
vaporize, eat and be merry.....

OfflineKelly
tripper
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
    #1232316 - 01/19/03 08:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That is total b/s.  There has never been any substantial proof that weed is worse then cigarettes.  In fact it's probably less dangerous.  For instance there has never been a case of cancer caused by marijuana.  Also no one has ever died from the use of weed.  And why would some states and countries allow the use of medical marijuana if it were that dangerous?  And marijuana, if grown right, has less chemicals then tobbacco.  Sure marijuana has THC but tobbacco has tar, nicotine and some chemicals they use in rat poison in it.  The only side effect, that is bad, in marijuana is the lose of short term memory.  You should really read more then one artical when trying to write an informed artical yourself :tongue: 

--------------------
"Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loath thee."
-Edgar Allan Poe

"Never be bought and never be sold.:
-Anonymous

-Daytripper

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds