Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Sterilization temperatures.
    #10422665 - 05/29/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've looked for the last half hour, using the "search" function that one of you is going to insist I use for the temperatures needed for sterilization. alas, I still have not found the answer to my question.

What is the exact temperature, well relative temperatures ( seeing as most everything has some sort of leeway ) needed for sterilization?

I work in an aerospace company and most of the ovens we use for either part drying and/or paint curing use temperatures of 200-300F or oven temperatures of up to 2000f, and was wondering if one of these ovens can be used to sterilize huge amounts of substrate, instead of relying on my 921 to sterilize many small jars of rye or brf cakes ( if of coarse the container is able to withstand such temperatures ).

any answers would be greatly appreciated =]

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Sterilization temperatures. [Re: plox]
    #10422854 - 05/29/09 11:27 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You might run into trouble using an oven to sterilize. I believe one of the reasons that pressure cooking works well is that it uses steam to carry heat. Air is a poor conductor of heat; water is better. To that end, I believe that at 15 PSI, water boils at something like 250 degrees F.

Also: why are you sterilizing substrate? Pasteurization is the method to use for bulk materials.

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Loc: The Pines, the pines.
    #10422923 - 05/29/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

plox said:
I work in an aerospace company and most of the ovens we use for either part drying and/or paint curing use temperatures of 200-300F or oven temperatures of up to 2000f, and was wondering if one of these ovens can be used to sterilize huge amounts of substrate, instead of relying on my 921 to sterilize many small jars of rye or brf cakes ( if of coarse the container is able to withstand such temperatures ).

Your seriously thinking of doing this at work? Dude BRF jars can be steamed sterilized in a pot on the stove. Get one of the those big blue pots. You can fit a ton of jars in one of those.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

Re: Sterilization temperatures. [Re: freespeech]
    #10422984 - 05/29/09 11:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

alright, that's a huge help haha.

as for why i would want to sterilize bulk amounts, is generally i can fit 10 quart jars of rye berries into my sterilizer. however, if i could fit all of my jars into one of the ovens at work, i could,  in theory, sterilize about 100 of the jars in the floor area of the oven alone, not to mention more if i added more layers of jars on top of the previous set.

i'll have to look up oven pasteurizing teks for bulk hpoo, because i can bring in about 50 pounds of it free if i were to contact the breeders out where i live, and take full advantage of doing alot at once, and not little by little.

--------------------

Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

#10423020 - 05/29/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

as for work i work on off hours, and have my area almost completely empty.

as for doing it at work, i grow edible strains on the woodchips/sawdust jars and bags, and why not take advantage of the huge space that my work ovens can provide? using brf as an example is only to bring it to terms most people can relate to.

--------------------

Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

#10423029 - 05/30/09 12:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

so i'm guessing that 250f is the temperature needed for sterilization?

just to bring us back on the main topic.

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Loc: The Pines, the pines.
    #10423200 - 05/30/09 12:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

plox said:
as for work i work on off hours, and have my area almost completely empty.

as for doing it at work, i grow edible strains on the woodchips/sawdust jars and bags, and why not take advantage of the huge space that my work ovens can provide? using brf as an example is only to bring it to terms most people can relate to.

Cool man, just sounded far out to me. GL.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10423201 - 05/30/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

plox said:
so i'm guessing that 250f is the temperature needed for sterilization?

just to bring us back on the main topic.

Sure, in the PC, 250F is fine. Turning an oven on to 250F and putting grain jars in it, however, will not be awesome.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Sterilization temperatures. [Re: SkyHigher]
    #10423221 - 05/30/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You need to keep your grains at 250F for at least one hour, and you can't do that in an oven because water won't remain liquid above 212F/100C, and mason jars will hold vacuum, but not pressure.  All your liquid would turn to steam and escape, ruining your grains.

A bigger PC might be in order if you've outgrown the 921.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

Re: Sterilization temperatures. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10423234 - 05/30/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

alright thanks guys, i really appreciate the help.

bummed that i can't use the ovens as i would have hoped, but all is not lost. guess i'll find a way to use my pc on a constant level, and invest in a much larger one when the farmers market picks up again and i can sell the few pounds of oysters, and shiitake i have grown quite recently.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags