Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
Newb looking for advice and some tek direction
    #10423036 - 05/30/09 12:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so I'm newb and want to grow. I just tripped again recently and it reminded me how wonderful fungi is from when I used to do it! lol

Here's the story...I've got a 22qt PC, got some ralphster's spore syringes on the way (EQ, Cambonia, SA). I'm still trying to figure out which grow method to use and have been reading like crazy! I'm thinking to do either BRF and grow from cake OR rye and make cake...

The reason I think BRF seems easier is because I've seen so many more tutorials and organized info on BRF that I haven't seen on rye! I really want to START out doing rye and cake...Can someone point me to a tutorial / tek that covers DETAILED info on rye spawn to coir?? I found this one: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5008065

Couple of questions:

- But I'm a little unclear how many qt's of rye I need to fill up a couple trays and how big of trays I need for the # of qt's...

- Also, is it really necessary for me to have an ultrasonic/cool mist and contained closet like in the tek? I assume I can just mist and make sure enough water is in my cakes?

- If I just want maybe 2-3 trays to start with, how many qt's do I need, size of trays, etc...?

- In that tutorial, it looks like he simply lines the bottom of each tray with coir/verm, then middle layer with spawned rye, then top layer of more coir/verm?

- Is this tek fairly easy for a 1st timer?? :smile: I don't want to use horse poo, so rye on coir seems fairly easy to do.

- Is there any post/link someone can put up that DETAILS sterility...especially for grain/cake?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Loc: The Pines, the pines.
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: dimyself]
    #10423097 - 05/30/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Just start with BRF cakes. You'll be happy you did. There is a ton of detailed teks on the site for it. Go to mushroom info at the top and drop down the menu. GL

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: SkyHigher]
    #10423152 - 05/30/09 12:21 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I know this question gets asked alot so I kinda feel like i'm beating a dead dog...just doesn't seem that hard to start using rye... So you think I should start with BRF growing from cakes then? If so, I could use this tek by Magash: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6545856#6545856

It looks pretty good to...but it'll take up more room and I dont have a fish tank. If I do BRF, I want to do about 20 cakes (as many that'll fit in the PC). Any good container someone can recommend as  a fruiting chamber for that BRF tek OR with the grain tek I posted?

Is there a better/simpler BRF tek out there?

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10423166 - 05/30/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, I've seen all the BRF teks (there are way more for BRF / PF tek than for otehrs...) which makes it seem easier for beginners.

Quote:

SkyHigher said:
Just start with BRF cakes. You'll be happy you did. There is a ton of detailed teks on the site for it. Go to mushroom info at the top and drop down the menu. GL

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10423187 - 05/30/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/8411/The-Magic-Mushrooms-Growers-Guide

Use a Shotgun FC. RR approved.

Heres a link to his vids. Pure gold.

http://mushroomvideos.com/

Read all the info in the first link. Then watch the videos. It will all make sense.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

Edited by SkyHigher (05/30/09 12:29 AM)

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10423245 - 05/30/09 12:44 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I've already pretty much looked over the BRF stuff and understand it. While reading through all the BRF sstuff, I came across all the posts and reading about why grain or WBS is better for begginer and not harder than BRF...

So I started reading up on it, and it seemed fairly easy (not to difficult to implement). I guess I could just do BRF to start....

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10423250 - 05/30/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Which strains should I start with? I will have 20cc EQ, 10cc SA, 10cc CAmbodia, and strain of the month

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10423252 - 05/30/09 12:46 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

close your eyes and pick

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Offlineplox
claisen condensate
Male

Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #10423257 - 05/30/09 12:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah man, just start with brf, it's easy, and proven.

not to mention, you can always treat your brf cakes like rye, and break them up to spawn to pasteurized subs like hpoo or straw.

if you are creative, you can even start brf in pint jars with normal mouths, chop them up with a blender ( normal mouth mason jars have same diameter/thread as most if not all blenders ) just make sure you don't make a smoothie out of it.

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10423261 - 05/30/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dimyself said:
Yea I've already pretty much looked over the BRF stuff and understand it. While reading through all the BRF sstuff, I came across all the posts and reading about why grain or WBS is better for begginer and not harder than BRF...

So I started reading up on it, and it seemed fairly easy (not to difficult to implement). I guess I could just do BRF to start....

Its really about what you feel comfortable with. As for strains. Doesn't matter. Just go for it bro. If your wanting to do WBS. Search for Docs WBS tek. Its really simple if you have a PC. Then use a monotub. Search large_dose name in the search options. Type in coir and monotub and youll be ready to rock. GL man.

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10423271 - 05/30/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10423282 - 05/30/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So, you posted links about WBS...is WBS easier than rye? The only reason I chose rye over wbs is because i read that rye has more nutes and it works better with less contam?

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10423297 - 05/30/09 01:00 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I figure I would give you all the info I had on the subjects you were asking about. WBS is super easy to find. Some say its better than RYE. Some swear its not. It is proven though.

Dont know anything about rye. So I gave you some WBS teks.

--------------------

Edited by SkyHigher (05/30/09 01:03 AM)

Offlinecharlie chan
Stranger

#10423311 - 05/30/09 01:06 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

watch some videos of the pf tech on youtube they help a lot.

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10423415 - 05/30/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I can't access the 2nd 2 links cause of my super newb status haha...The 1st link on wbs tek is VERY easy to follow. But again it's lacking! It doesn't go into casing. From there I followed this casing link on coir/verm: http://www.shroomery.org/55/60-40-Vermiculite-and-Coco-Coir-Casing-Tek

THen when I read that tek it was lackcing details. When it says after I'm done, I can then apply the "casing material to my substrate". Does this mean to put a layer of wet verm down in my container THEN put my substrate down followed by the casing material I made (coir/verm mix) on top of substrate?? Can I just use the same walmart containers or fish tank to fruit a case just like a cake?

Quote:

SkyHigher said:
http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9289857#9289857

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8231041/an/0/page/2

There you go man. You can't go wrong. Don't even have to case.

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: charlie chan]
    #10423420 - 05/30/09 01:42 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've already seen them...they were helpful

Quote:

charlie chan said:
watch some videos of the pf tech on youtube they help a lot.

Offlinedimyself
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10423479 - 05/30/09 02:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hehe

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
close your eyes and pick

OfflineRedthunder25
Student of Mycology
Male User Gallery

Loc: US
    #10423742 - 05/30/09 03:49 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Just remember with the shotgun tek your house needs to have a RH of 50% or higher according to RR.  Personally, the easiest thing to start off on is an all-verm casing made with 1-4 .5 pint BRF cakes.  They basically grow themselves.  Low risk of contams too with only verm.  Coir can go bad easier.  GL  and remember  PATIENCE!!

--------------------

Offlineshroomer51203
Strange
 User Gallery

Loc: planet niptune
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: Redthunder25]
    #10423763 - 05/30/09 03:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

when i started out i crumbled brf cakes and spawned to hpoo right away and threw in a mono tub and never looked back, also it is good to keep a couple cakes to, but spawning is much easier than it sounds.  good luck and keep us updated

--------------------
trust the fungus!!!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Newb looking for advice and some tek direction [Re: Redthunder25]
    #10423983 - 05/30/09 06:25 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Redthunder25 said:
Just remember with the shotgun tek your house needs to have a RH of 50% or higher according to RR.  Personally, the easiest thing to start off on is an all-verm casing made with 1-4 .5 pint BRF cakes.  They basically grow themselves.  Low risk of contams too with only verm.  Coir can go bad easier.  GL  and remember  PATIENCE!!

which is incorrect, RR needs to update the tek on his site (if he hasnt done so already)

At the time of writing that, it had only been tested at 50% and above. Others have confirmed that it works in much lower ambient humidity.

Though id recomend running a small humidifier in yoour rooms if dry climates, whih will make it much more confortable and save you on heating in the winter, as dry air is a poor conductor of heat.

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Grain-Preparation

Heres RR's grain tek video. WBs or rye and any more difficult than the other. Rye grian however is a better grain and its pretty cheap depedning n where you live and how much you buy at a time, it may be cheaper than WBS.

You dont need a humidifier for a terrarium. Make a shotgun fruiting chamber also on RR site.

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

And heres the pf tek videos

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Its upto you, if you can follow directions and understand the process you should do fine. Dont cut corners, or improvice.

And definatly build a glovebox for doing inoculations and other sterile procedures

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder