Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlue BC
Stranger
Big Find? HELP!
    #1041941 - 11/10/02 09:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

1st off, i live in a rural area outside of Vancouver BC

walking down a path in a local forest i spotted some mushrooms growing in a tight cluster on fallen leaves of alder trees.. Closer inspection revealed the wavy cap wavy stem etc. so i assumed they must be CYANS:D
i brought a few home to check out and i have read every description of a cyan on the net and it seems to match.. BUT.. the stem is a darker brownish color opposed to the white stem described in the info i read..

My question isss.. Any other very closely similar to cyans that would be found in my part of the world? Could the brownish stem be due to the fact the leaves it were growing around were brown and it has been raining for a week straight, so could the leaves had stained the stem color?

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.. Sorry, No Pics For Awhile Yet:(

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: Big Find? HELP! [Re: Blue BC]
    #1041942 - 11/10/02 09:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

did it blue any?

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflineBlue BC
Stranger
Re: Big Find? HELP! [Re: Dobie]
    #1041961 - 11/10/02 10:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well i just picked them, and they are still very damp so its hard to tell..
Its hard to tell if their is any bluing on the stem because of the dark brown coloring.. they are fairly young still, so im just hoping the bluing will come thru :\

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #1041965 - 11/10/02 10:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

let us know if it blues :laugh:

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleBlu Spore
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1041968 - 11/10/02 10:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes there are several look alikes to p. cyanescens some are poisonous. Cyans always have a whitish stem and most times it will turn a very clear shade of blue(not black or green ect.) when handled. I was walking down a forest path yesterday and I also found some mushrooms that looked very similar to cyans but on closer inspection they were not.

...on a side note cyan lookalikes often grow on the same habitat as the real thing

InvisibleBlu Spore

#1041973 - 11/10/02 10:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The blueing reactions happens right after handling. The fact that they have a dark brown stem tells me there probably not cyans. Pictures would help

OfflineBlue BC
Stranger
Re: Big Find? HELP! [Re: Blu Spore]
    #1041980 - 11/10/02 10:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

This is where i am stumped..
i know there are lookalikes, and i have checked pictures of all similar species
listed, and i have found NOTHING as similar to cyans as these.
o damn im confused.. i really wanted some shrooms tonite :frown:

InvisibleBlu Spore

#1042133 - 11/10/02 11:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

take a spore print

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1042994 - 11/11/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The stem is the first thing I look for on any wavy-cap mushroom. There are some out there that have an almost-exact cyanescens cap. . .brownish stem=leave alone. The only ones I've seen that didn't have a white stem were so spore-coated that the stems looked blackish. Most of the look-alikes also have a more 'mushy' stem; you squeeze it and it mashes easily. Cyanescens tend to have a nice robust stem.

OfflineTrellis
Trellis

#1046588 - 11/12/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Cyanescens blue very quickly, usually within sheer minutes of handling.
There are many mushrooms that looks similar if not alarmingly similar in some cases.
Just the other day I found a type of mushroom growing right next to a clump of Cyanescens
that looked so similar a non-trained eye might have easily thrown it in with the rest of the
bunch.

There really are an amazing array of mushies (at least in my neck of the woods) that have the
exact shape of Psilocybe Cyanescens.

Once you are distinctly familiar with this particular species though it is quite easy to pick them
out. Although they can appear quite different for various different reasons, there are some key
identifiable traits. The rapid bluish/greenish bruising is an obvious give away. No other similarly-shaped mushrooms does this, but there are one or two that bruise blackish and could easily be mistaken by a newbie for a blueing reaction. Keep in mind that the blueing is very blue, not blackish blue or black. The spore print is purple to dark purplish brown. I have seen them print not very purplish before whereas sometimes it is bright purple, not entirely sure why such a variance occurs. The stem is a real giveway as well. It is firm and solid, you can't easily crush it and it doesn't easily break apart like most similar-shaped mushrooms. It is shimmery/sparkly/silky and pure white in fresh specimens which is a beautiful contrast to it's caramel colored cap. The gills are an off-whitish color when young. As they grow they get progressively darker. At one stage the gills are early concolorous with the cap. I have seen them often become much darker as they age. Cyans are extremely hygraphanous. They lose much of the color as they dry out, but they always seem to dry out in the same way starting from the center of the cap and drying outward, often leaving a darkened ring around the cap. There is almost always a dark dot in the center of the cap where a mild umbo will remain at this stage. The dot is generally a blueish color but can be very dark.

Cyanescen's thick white ropey mycellium is very distinctive as well.

I should add that when these mushrooms get very old in the field, they do start turning into a blackish goo. Close inspection under very bright light will show this to be a blueing color, but at that stage you really don't want them anyway. The stems don't seem to liquify like the caps. I have found several old ones this year in fact that still had a white stem, a bit bruised, but the cap was totally blackened and melting. The stem is very woody and hardier than the fragile cap.

OK that's all the energy I've got at the moment for typing. Hope it helps a little.

#=Trellis=#

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom