Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUbitsa
Waiting Is
 User Gallery

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Few Bulk? Questions
    #10419572 - 05/29/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So I've got everything worked out, but I've not been able to find solid info on certain parts:

1) When spawning grain(rye, in my case) to coir/coffee, should I let it all colonize *before* casing it?  It seems like there isn't quite consensus, but it seems to me there must be a 'correct' way, since casing has a clear purpose.

2) For fanning and misting, is there such a thing as too often?  Could I fan FAE once per hour, say, with a mist right afterwards each time? 

3) Related to the misting, is it reasonable to use fog from a fogger to 'mist'?  I find that unfiltered it gives a very fine mist, which should accomplish the goal of raising humidity.

Lastly, just a clarification:  50/50 Rye/verm, cased, would flush faster than Rye spawned to coir and then cased, correct?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenoggin
jiggly
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: Few Bulk? Questions [Re: Ubitsa]
    #10419649 - 05/29/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I will try to answer this with my understanding.

The casing layer creates a micro climate on the surface of the mycellium - high humidity, while still allowing for fresh air exchange (fluffyness of casing layer).  It also holds moisture to keep humidity in the tub high throughout the grow.

There are arguments for different casing methods.  One is 'late casing', where the casing is applied when the first pins are seen.  This allows for the mycellium to be exposed to light, as well as increasing fresh air exchange on the surface, each being a pinning trigger.

If you're using a monotub, the casing layer should provide the moisture for the entire grow.  If you're using a shotgun terrarium, you would want to mist then fan, which will accelerate the evaporation process, increasing humidity in the chamber.

What kind of fogger are you talking about?  One used in discos?

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
    #10419653 - 05/29/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ubitsa said:
So I've got everything worked out, but I've not been able to find solid info on certain parts:

1) When spawning grain(rye, in my case) to coir/coffee, should I let it all colonize *before* casing it?  It seems like there isn't quite consensus, but it seems to me there must be a 'correct' way, since casing has a clear purpose.

2) For fanning and misting, is there such a thing as too often?  Could I fan FAE once per hour, say, with a mist right afterwards each time? 

3) Related to the misting, is it reasonable to use fog from a fogger to 'mist'?  I find that unfiltered it gives a very fine mist, which should accomplish the goal of raising humidity.

Lastly, just a clarification:  50/50 Rye/verm, cased, would flush faster than Rye spawned to coir and then cased, correct?

1> Yes, 100% is required

2> Kinda, I always mist then fan to evaporate some of the mist on the surface but as long as both moisture THEN fanning is complete... I don't think there is such a thing as too much.

3> I don't see why not as long as it's not on 24/7 and your getting plenty of FAE

Never done a casing so I can't comment on that. I know you need 100% colonization before applying one. I never saw a need to add more steps to my grow as cubensis don't NEED a casing layer. Hope that helps

ATK

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10419963 - 05/29/09 01:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ubitsa said:
2) For fanning and misting, is there such a thing as too often?

It's all about balance.  Too much fanning with too little misting will dry out your substrate.  Too much misting with too little fanning can waterlog your substrate.  There's no such thing as too much as long as you find that proper balance, but too much of one or the other will cause problems.

Quote:

Ubitsa said:
Could I fan FAE once per hour, say, with a mist right afterwards each time?

I wouldn't mist every hour.  If you were fanning every hour maybe you should mist once every third or fourth hour, but again, it's all about finding that sweet spot between the two.

Quote:

Ubitsa said:

Yes, fruiting straight from rye is quicker than spawning it to coir, but you wouldn't mix the rye with verm 50/50.  You'd lay the rye out in a tray, cover with foil and allow the mycelium to heal itself for a few days, and then case it.
Spawning to bulk adds about 2 weeks to the process.
And then casing that bulk (which is optional) would add about 1 more week.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate