Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRiver77
Ruler of the Next Free World
Male

Loc: Among the Spore People.
Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked
    #10408789 - 05/27/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There is definitely a lot of info on this site about side and bottom pining as well as lighting as a pinning trigger.

Let me see if I have this right: The biggest pinning triggers are FAE, humidity and full colonization. These are the 3 you MUST have. Secondary pinning triggers are light and cold shock.
      So being secondary pinning triggers the shrooms don't have to have these to pin it just helps out with the speed of things?
      If this is true,(from what I have read I believe it is), then even if you line your containers, and all conditions are right then, in retrospect wouldn't bottom and side pinning happen regardless?
      I have side pinning and bottom going on right now Lots on top also :smile:. Side ones I could care less. I used a casing layer on the bottom(which RR says is one of 3 biggest causes of bottom pinning). This is what got me thinking about bottom pinning and started looking it up.
      Just some philosophical questions for some experienced. (This is my first run at bulk)

Mahalo

--------------------
Fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore with a pole in your hand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: River77]
    #10409850 - 05/27/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Let me see if I have this right: The biggest pinning triggers are FAE, humidity and full colonization. These are the 3 you MUST have. Secondary pinning triggers are light and cold shock.

It's full colonization, fresh air, light and humidity.  Cold shocking doesn't do squat for tropical species like cubes.  It's for cold weather species.

I don't bother with trash bags or anything, side pins are not a problem or issue.  I don't know what the hype is all about. 

Bottom pins are kind of rare for me, since my tubs are dark bottomed and I don't lift/move the cake around so there's no fae either.

Side pins are common for me and not in any way a bother, hassle or issue.

A casing is meant to provide a microclimate to trigger pinning/fruit formation.  So I'm not really sure why I'd want a bottom casing.  Maybe as a water reservoir, but I don't see the point.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineRiver77
Male

Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: Spongiform]
    #10410522 - 05/27/09 09:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I don't mind side pins and the bottoms don bother me either actually just curious if anyone thought that even in dark bottom containers you still get pinning. you just don't notice it.

The real question I guess is: Is light an absolute necessity for pinning? Can cubes pin without the introduction of light?

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: River77]
    #10410554 - 05/27/09 09:44 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

River77 said:
Yeah I don't mind side pins and the bottoms don bother me either actually just curious if anyone thought that even in dark bottom containers you still get pinning. you just don't notice it.

The real question I guess is: Is light an absolute necessity for pinning? Can cubes pin without the introduction of light?

bottom pinning usually wont happen unless air can get to the bottom which using a bottom layer will allow.

Side pinning is caused when the substrate shrinks and the small gap maintains extremly high humidity cobined with the fresh air, if you use foil to try and block of light that will even fruther help pinning as foil reflects light.

Pins can form in the dark, but you will get much better performance giving bright light in the daylight range. Also mushrooms are phototropic, they grow toward the light and also has some play in fruitbody development.

At a recent conference paul stamets suggested that mushrooms use radiation from light.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10410836 - 05/27/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Light anywhere on a substrate will help cause pinning anywhere else on the substrate that conditions are right.  That's why you get side and bottom pinning, even in a colored or lined tub if there's a 'casing layer' incorrectly placed under the substrate.

Some growers also used to put drain holes in bulk substrate trays.  These also led to bottom pinning due to the air admitted.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRiver77
Male

Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10410864 - 05/27/09 10:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you very much RR. Different question now what do you think of metabolites as a fungicide for MJ plants?  Here is my full question  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10409231

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10410902 - 05/27/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Never tried it.  You can be the first.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRiver77
Male

Re: Bottom and side pinning w/ lighting questions. Philosophically asked [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10410920 - 05/27/09 10:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Any advice as how to store extra metabolites?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates