Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
Loc: USA
Failure problems.
    #1041079 - 11/10/02 01:59 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OK.  I have ruled out for sure that my current PF-TEK jars are NOT going to work this time around.  It's been a week and none of the jars have even started colonization yet.  I have narrowed down what I think the problems could have been to just a few items:
1.  Upon Sterilization through regular boiling watered pot, it seemed as if the home-made brown rice flour had cooked or something.  Does this tend to happen when it is at a temperature that is too high?  I also think that because the temp was too high, it might have altered the water content in the jars.
2.  The Brown Rice Flour I used was home-made.  It looks just like it does in this pic before I ground it in a blender, and after also looked as it is in the picture.    Question is can Brown Rice become unusable after a long time?
3.  With the B+ strain is there a small temperature range that must be met while trying to colonize the jars?  I had two batches (one at my house and one at a friends)  and one was probably between 65-70 and the other was 70-80

:confused:That's all I can really think of.  There is no recognizable fungal or bacterial growth in even one jar.  Any suggestions would help.

--------------------
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" - Anton Szandor LaVey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Failure problems. [Re: MrJoeMonkey]
    #1041092 - 11/10/02 02:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Where'd you get the spores from? What ratio did you use in your substrate (water to brf to verm)? Keep those temps up more into the 80's preferably around 85 or 86.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
Re: Failure problems. [Re: Skikid16]
    #1041098 - 11/10/02 02:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

SporeWorks.com is where I got spores from... regretablly I have to say temperatures have been much lower. I was considering making an incubator with a fish tank heater, but I still need a thermo to keep it at a good temp.

--------------------
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" - Anton Szandor LaVey

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1041102 - 11/10/02 02:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Go to walmart and buy a cheap thermometer. Did you get the spores in a syringe or print?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
    #1041104 - 11/10/02 02:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Syringe
How much will a cheap thermo cost?

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1041105 - 11/10/02 02:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Less than 5 bucks. What process did you use to sterilize?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
    #1041107 - 11/10/02 02:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Steam cooking on stove -- NOT a pressure cooker. Just used a big pan, threw a thick rag on the bottom and I filled it half up the jars. When it was boiling, I suspect it may have been boiling too high. THere WAS water that was splashing against the side of that pan, and I think this may have also cooked the BRF.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1041108 - 11/10/02 02:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I usually use my flour within a month or so of buying it with no problem. It seems logical that it could keep for much longer than that if kept airtight and refrigerated.

Your incubation temps are a bit low but they would not prevent mycelial growth, just slow it down a bit. For faster colonization keep those temps in the mid 80's.

I would give those jars two weeks before giving up on them.  :smile:   

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1041114 - 11/10/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How long did you sterilize for and did you have something covering the inoculation holes? Like dog said, and I mentioned in your other post, I wouldn't give up on them, just start another batch.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
    #1041118 - 11/10/02 02:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I had them on for 1 hr. 20 mins. THere was one layer of tin foil without any holes in it. A second layer then covered that, and I put them on.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1041123 - 11/10/02 02:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Man, I just don't know whats going on, and you say you don't see any signs of contams? If not, then just let them be for a week or so. I highly suggest an incubator. Here's two great ones
http://www.myco-tek.com/TEKs/Incubation.htm
http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisiblePsilosKube
I'm eat todd did

Loc: In bed with your woman
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: MrJoeMonkey]
    #1041133 - 11/10/02 02:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
PK

All information and images posted by myself are fictional and for entertainment purposes only. I accept no responsibility for inapropriate or Illegal use of this information.

OfflineMrJoeMonkey
MrJoeMonkey
Re: Failure problems. [Re: PsilosKube]
    #1041136 - 11/10/02 02:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

water-logged??? WHat does this mean and how will I know.

--------------------

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #1041235 - 11/10/02 03:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

water loged: you jars will look gooey, not light and airy.

and one week is not too long to wait, esp. with lower temps like you have.

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

OfflineFlamDrag
I Like Pie
    #1041636 - 11/10/02 06:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Did you use organic rice? I know some rice that is not organic is grown with fungicides which will guarantee failure. Have you been successful with the same brand of rice in the past? Just a thought.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract