Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Binding or Gluing Teflon [Re: Stonehenge]
    #10398969 - 05/25/09 10:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Chuang, you asked me what I said when it was right there in front of you. Now you say:

"You didn't mention a baking process"

I mentioned heating which is the same thing. No more replies for you.

You said:
Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Talk to a chemist or look it up on a chem website. They do it every day, how do you think they get it on frying pans and the like? Another possibility is heating it until it melts and sticks to the surface. But I believe it degrades at high temps so it may have to be done under an inert atmosphere.

What did you find that said "heating it until it melts and sticks to the surface" would bind it to a hard surface such as a steel plate?

What you said contradicts the reading I've done on the subject as well.  What did you look up that confirmed your suggestion is possible?  It seems quite counter intuitive that your suggestion would work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Binding or Gluing Teflon [Re: arainbow]
    #10400028 - 05/26/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

arainbow said:
just use the no stick coating used cookware
that's the only way to get teflon to stick to any thing

That's a very good idea. If you don't need very much of it, it's be easier and probably cheaper to buy a bunch of cheap non-stick pans and cut them up. Then you get teflon backed by aluminium.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10400355 - 05/26/09 04:21 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

> And seuss looked it up and gave the details including the baking process which I also mentioned.

Google didn't exist back when I saw people working with Teflon. We looked into it for use as a coating on composites used in super high efficiency electric cars (for racing purposes), but never followed through with it.  The mudjocks (google probably won't help you here; a mudjock is a research assistant that mixes the 'mud' that forms ceramics) were also working with it, which is how I know they add ceramics to the topcoat to help strengthen it.  When you spend eight years at an engineering school, you tend to get a very rounded education within the engineering fields.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Binding or Gluing Teflon [Re: Seuss]
    #10401557 - 05/26/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

That's very interesting, seuss. I didn't know you had looked into it way back when. Just as an aside, I tried doing hot glue to teflon once and it did stick but not very well. I still think that a good chemist could do it today but I could be wrong about that. I remember when teflon first came out, before there was an internet even, and they stuck it on with no ceramics. It was softer then and they have changed the formula some since that time.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #10402520 - 05/26/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Seuss, from what I've seen, doesn't usually comment without pretty respectable personal experience, and that's why I love being able to get answers from Seuss and the others with the same approach. (thanks!)

As for cutting up the cookware, I was looking for a very low cost solution (under $30) because this was just me brainstorming about a hobby project to produce something cheaply that I could also buy retail for a premium. Plus, as people have said, any contact with a hard object will cause the teflon to flake right off of those pans. Cutting one and grinding the edges to avoid slicing my wrist open would sheer of a fat swath of teflon around the edges and then the rest would slowly erode away from separation at the boundaries.

There's a mousepad out there (aimed at gamers with more money than sense, mostly) that just happens to have some properties that are actually practical to me (its rigid, untextured, and easily sanitized and cleaned, as well as being low friction)... but it'd also cost me $40. I saw teflon sheets on Amazon for $6-9 per square foot and figured "hey, why not try to make one".

In retrospect, though, without adding some kind of visual texture to ordinary solid teflon I'm betting a laser mouse would have trouble tracking it even at a full twitch-tastic 4000dpi. Likely best to not bother.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10403260 - 05/26/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
I remember when teflon first came out, before there was an internet even, and they stuck it on with no ceramics. It was softer then and they have changed the formula some since that time.

You must be really old.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Binding or Gluing Teflon [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #10403331 - 05/26/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hell I remember back when there weren't even any personal computers. We used sliderules. I still have one in case the computer breaks down.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10403620 - 05/26/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Hell I remember back when there weren't even any personal computers. We used sliderules. I still have one in case the computer breaks down.

Teflon coated pans came out well before personal computers.  I have a calculator for when the computer breaks down.  Actually, I use the computer when the calculator is out of batteries.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #10403783 - 05/26/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This was before my time, but I have an old Texas Instruments SR-10 calculator that still works (belonged to my grandfather).

It's pretty slow...you can put 2^2 in and you'll have to wait a second or so after you press Enter :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10404012 - 05/26/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

> Teflon coated pans came out well before personal computers.

Early 50's if I remember correctly.  They came out of France, but nobody would buy them.  Teflon was created in the early 1930's, again if I remember correctly.  Used by the US as an inert filler in the gas diffusion plants during WWII.  Given the name Teflon by DuPont towards the end of WWII (1944 if memory serves).  Please use google to verify my recollection, if in doubt.  :wink:  (Especially the 1930's number...)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Binding or Gluing Teflon [Re: Seuss]
    #10407353 - 05/27/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The pc came out in the 70's, the first teflon coated pans had a soft coating that would come off with scouring. Calculators came out before the pc and they were super expensive, the first ones were hundreds of dollars for simple ones. Then the price gradually dropped below $100 and kept dropping so that now you can get them for about $4 or so for a simple one.

The first digital watches were very expensive and were considered a luxury item. People bought them for the novelty. Now, they are super cheap and considered junk but back then you'd pay over $100 and that today would equal maybe $200 or $300.

Transistor radios were the latest thing at one time. They use to put the number of transistors on the outside of the case as a pride thing. People would brag about how many transistors they had. The radio itself was called a transistor. They even used transistors in place of diodes to boost the count. The early cars that had automatic transmissions had that written on the outside to make people jealous.

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10409074 - 05/27/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the history lesson.

So you remember the early 50s?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale