Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerhizo
herb eater

Loc: Asia
Peat Moss + NaOH(Sodium Hydroxide aka lye)
    #1040300 - 11/10/02 04:26 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Soaked peat moss in h20 for 10 minutes(probably not long enough). Initial ph of peat moss/h20 mix was ~4. Dissolved less than a gram of NaOH in about 500 mils of h20(from the tap). Gradually added around 150 mils of the NaOH solution to the peat moss/h20 until an adjusted ph of ~8 was reached**. Allowed to soak for around 1 hour. Drained and squeezed out excess water, currently sterilizing several blobs of peat moss wrapped in tin foil for later use. I wanted the ph a little high because I thought eventually the peat moss would bring it down a little. Has anyone used this method or a similar method for adjusting the ph of this casing material? How long should I let it soak, what ph should I go for while soaking, will the ph drop after soaking, and is this method doomed to failure for any particular reason?

(**Obligatory Disclaimer: Please do not try this if you do not have experience handling hazardous chemicals.)

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Peat Moss + NaOH(Sodium Hydroxide aka lye) [Re: rhizo]
    #1040857 - 11/10/02 01:49 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

The questions that you have about how long and such. I can't answer them because I am not familiar with time frames on a casing layer prep method like this because Staments already laid down a better one using lime (not lye), chalk, or marl. The Mushroom Cultivator had a great chapter on casing layer prperation. Buy it and read it, or jsut go to a bookstore and read that chapter w.o buying. You'll soon find a better way to do these things.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology