Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Choosing my Tarot - need advise
    #10398051 - 05/25/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've read many reviews and looked through dozens of decks.

I know a lot of people will recommend the Rider-Waite Tarot, but I'm really not feeling it. I don't like the colors of the deck, nor the imagery. If I had to go with a beginner deck I'd rather go with the Tarot of Prague.

I'm drawn to the Thoth Tarot, and its offshoot called the Via Tarot. I've read these decks are not recommended for beginners. I also really like this deck called the Fey Tarot.

Well I respect a lot of your opinions here and was looking for some advise. Should I stick it out with the Rider Deck or go with something I am more attracted to? I started reading "A Garden of Pomegranates" by Israel Regarde, and am open to more reading suggestions.

Other Tarot's I was drawn to are the Druidcraft Tarot, Maat Tarot,
and my dark side, the Vampire Tarot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #10398564 - 05/25/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've found great success with the Druidcraft deck, as I started and as I've grown. :thumbup:

I don't have any experience with the more advanced decks, so I can't offer the counter.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf
    #10398571 - 05/25/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Rider-White is good. All the others are cheesy IMO

InvisibleRiverRunner
Seeker
Male

#10398633 - 05/25/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey there! I happened across this site and your post just now and simply had to sign up so i could throw you my humble opinion.

You've got some really beautiful decks picked out, and a few of the ones you've mentioned do strike me as a bit more powerful. Ive gathered  (and hopefully not assumed) that you're new to this field of study. Im no expert myself, but in my experience ive found that when selecting a magickal implement to use, the choice is best left to the natural instinct of  the individual doing the selecting. Even if the deck you pick is said to be for the more experienced, its possible that your choice was influenced by a deeper power within yourself. Ive found that selecting is easier if i have the potential deck in front of me. Sometimes picture samples just dont do the deck justice.

... but... i can understand how looking through deck after deck can make a person a little apprehensive about picking just one. Cool thing is, i know a variety of people (myself included) that opt not to limit themselves to just one deck. Depending on the nature of what you're trying to accomplish with them you may find yourself with a number of decks each with its own purpose and use. =)

There are a ton of really creative and fascinating decks about, but Im confident that you'll find the most ideal one(s) for you in no time. Just keep searching and remember to have your gut feeling set in precedence above anyone else's.

Simply from my perspective - Out of the sets you listed i think the Druidcraft had the biggest impact with me. I may have to try and find one, haha. But i would also find the Maat Tarot useful in my pursuits because it incorporates a bit of the astrological connection each card has right there on the front. However, it didnt strike nearly as large of a chord with me as others of similar types.
The Rider-Waite was my first deck and served me well in my younger years.
I think the Tarot of Prague is rather appealing to the eyes, but otherwise not for me. 
Both the Thoth Tarot and the Via Tarot are a little less descriptive with its imagery to the untrained eye, but i was still able to receive the impressions and meanings each card had to offer.
Im not too sure how i feel about the Fey deck. But hey, who can ever be too sure about the Fae anyway right? haha!
And finally, The Vampire Tarot. Out of em all, this is the only one ive actually had the privilege of getting to use. Really neat artwork coupled with an awesome (and powerful) theme has gotten this deck a spot on my wish list.

Just a couple of my favorites not listed include the Arthurian Tarot, as well the Vertigo Tarot - a deck that was actually illustrated by my favorite D.C. Vertigo author and artist Neil Gaiman. Stunning artwork with intricate, dark overtones that only Neil could deliver.

I wish you well on your search, and offer my further assistance should you find a use for it. Im always happy to help my fellow seekers. Take care and do what you do with wellness. =D

Erik The River Runner

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: RiverRunner]
    #10398752 - 05/25/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you all for the reply.

Erik, glad you signed up and I appreciate your opinion! I actually had a vivid dream the other night that I was looking with my friends at the stars and we were pointing out the signs of the zodiac. This dream pushed me to start looking to get a deck.

You are correct in your assumption that I am new to the Tarot. I think I might take your advise and no limit myself to one deck initially. I'm not sure how I feel about the Fey deck either. As I was looking through pictures of different decks yesterday, I noticed my Mom had a picture of two fairy's hanging in the bathroom, I kind of took it as a synchronicity. I'm just not sure if all the symbolism is there.

The Arthurian Tarot looks great, but the Vertigo Tarot gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

I'm going to try and meditate on this choice, and wait till tomorrow before I order to see if tonight's dreams have any answers.

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #10398884 - 05/25/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There are some very good decks out there, and there are quite a few as well that are not useful, although they may be great works of art.
The Thoth deck is great as it is reconstructed in such a way that it retains more of the original archetypes/imagery that is essential to the Tarots original purpose. This one is highly recommended by me also for the fact that it is an invaluable tool for the neophyte Qabalist.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #10398885 - 05/25/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I recommend the rider-waite tarot

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10400293 - 05/26/09 03:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

c0sm0nautt said:
and my dark side, the Vampire Tarot.

The Underworld avatar kinda gave it away.  :wink:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: deCypher]
    #10400754 - 05/26/09 08:09 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I decided to get three decks. A more visually pleasing clone of the original Rider-Waite Tarot, called the Radiant Rider Waite Tarot. I decided to go with the Druidcraft Tarot, and a unconventional deck called the Osho Zen Tarot. Both the Druidcraft and Osho come with companion books, but the RRW does not. Can anyone recommend some reading material for this deck?

Invisiblelayzdapipe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10417318 - 05/29/09 12:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Right now I have the rider waite and the Gothic Deck by Joseph vargo (The pictures in the gothic deck are awesome) Death and the emperor are my favorites, the lovers and the devil are cool looking too.

The package has the emperor cards picture on it

--------------------

Edited by layzdapipe (05/29/09 12:49 AM)

Offlinedruidsgarden
Male User Gallery

Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: layzdapipe]
    #10425772 - 05/30/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The Grand Eteilla deck is a good one to read from.  The Arcus Arcanum Deck has always been my favorite and comes with a small booklet, but it is hard to find in the US.  The Golden Tarot is newer and has an interesting renaissance feel, also comes with a nice book.  Check out the tarotgarden.com website for a huge selection of decks in the US, or Alida (alidastore.com) if in Europe.

OfflineLysenergy
Animal

#10638599 - 07/07/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thoth all the way. Who made the deck is very important.

--------------------
soundandsymbol.blogspot.com

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#10639545 - 07/07/09 11:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hey c0sm0,
how are the decks you picked turning out for you?

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: Kickle]
    #10639640 - 07/08/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
hey c0sm0,
how are the decks you picked turning out for you?

Strange I just finished the movie "Interview with a Vampire" a few moments ago. This may further my fascination with the Vampire Tarot. I try to learn 2 randomly selected cards per day from the Radiant Rider Waite Deck. I try and incorporate the cards ideas into my daily life. I am keeping a journal where I write down the ideas that strike me as important from each randomly selected card. I have not attempted any divination, I am apprehensive towards the answers I may get. The court cards especially seem to radiate archetypal personalities I can pinpoint in family and friends. So far I have been taught that reality is more structured than the average person may believe.

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#10641133 - 07/08/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
Have you read much on archetypes?

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: Kickle]
    #10642056 - 07/08/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Awesome, thanks for the reply.
Have you read much on archetypes?

By archetypes are your referring to the Major Arcana, and the journey a person takes through the 21 cards? I stopped at the Empress, because I got involved in a couple other reading materials. I'm going to let these cards pop up in my daily drawings.

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#10642272 - 07/08/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just meant archetypes in general. Jung's work for instance.
But yes, eventually I was shooting for their relation to the Major Arcana.
I find that to be a particularly fascinating aspect of the Tarot.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #13469762 - 11/11/10 04:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm always going to feel like a novice with the Tarot, and I bought my first Rider-waite deck in 1972. It is like block letters to a child versus various styles of scripts, each with their own idiosyncratic styles. The colors of the R-W deck are appropriately symbolic. The older versions seem to miss basic symbolisms, the Thoth deck, like many other things Crowley did, changes or reverses things for his own know-it-all reasons. I took a couple of Tarot classes this summer, but the instructor was too repetitive and moved too slowly, although I DID learn a few things, like the basic theme running through the images. It was a global perspective that I just never saw before.
I enjoyed this book tremendously: http://www.amazon.com/Qabalistic-Tarot-Textbook-Mystical-Philosophy/dp/0877286728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289519195&sr=8-1

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #13472324 - 11/12/10 06:09 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have read in many places that the Rider-Waite deck was actually designed to hide the true nature of the Tarot as it was understood by initiates of the Golden Dawn Society.  Crowley's Thoth was to incorporate as many of these secrets as possible, and to date most decks still follow the basic Rider-Waite design.  I'd stick with the Thoth.

InvisibleTheWolf
Antechamber Of Mystery

#13482731 - 11/14/10 12:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I own the Aquarian deck and the Rider-Waite deck.
I feel more pull with the symbolism of the Rider-Waite deck and thus use it more so than the other one.
To each his own though, I'd suggest finding one that you feel comfortable with and running through a few readings to see how it goes.

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Choosing my Tarot - need advise [Re: TheWolf]
    #13482851 - 11/14/10 01:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well a year and 5 months after I made this thread I'll just chime in and say I've found the Osho Zen Deck to be the most straight forward and helpful.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags