Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis
    #10395179 - 05/25/09 09:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There are assorted posts around here mentioning this stuff as a way of controlling fungus gnats. Maybe we can get a good thread here with different people's experiences with it.

We haven't had gnat problems so far this year, but I expect it won't be long. Right now we have fruit flies, but nothing I would consider an 'outbreak'.

I am just trying to decide well in advance how we might control an outbreak. I am very, very anti chemical pesticide and even have reservations about this so called 'organic' pesticide. It was brought up to me that BT has been shown to be safe over the course of 10-20 years of testing, but for 40-50 years they said DDT was safe...

Please discuss the pros, cons, personal experiences, etc..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis [Re: b3jamboree]
    #10395206 - 05/25/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I tested it on my tp rolls and it  caused no problems. I also used it on some seedlings i was starting that had lots of gnats.Got rid of almost all of them, a few made it , but not many. They would crawl up and die on the stems. I believe it to be really safe , its a bacteria that only affects gnats , not some man made chemical concoction. Ive read PS has frogs that inhabit his rooms , and the number vary with the bug population. Maybe some anoles? Ive also read ducks love to eat flying insects.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis [Re: Grzyby]
    #10395256 - 05/25/09 09:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have had some experience with an agaricus grower who swears that it does not work.  I battle to believe that it is totally useless though.  BT is a very good insecticide and is quite safe in toxicity levels etc.

Since BT is a biological product it can not be considered anything but organic.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis [Re: solumvita]
    #10395351 - 05/25/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

A Toronto tropical fish wholesaler used to use Tokay geckos for cockroach control.  It worked very well, but one was warned not to approach them.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis [Re: Jef]
    #10396011 - 05/25/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I like the frog idea very much. More natural methods would be great, but it seems pretty intensive to set up habitats for the frogs to live in and to keep track of how they are getting along, catering to their needs.

Also I would want to get something native to my area, rather than risking importing something and having it become invasive like that Simpsons episode where they went to Australia.

OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

#10396634 - 05/25/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Toads ? He didnt add them or provide scpecial care, they just snuck in.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10396655 - 05/25/09 03:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm using BTI for a few month now. Works fine for casing soil and substrate surfaces, but I still have some gnats, which find a way inside, like between jar and substrate, where I can't reach their offspring.

Carsten

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate