Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: Glenners]
    #10316452 - 05/10/09 10:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i love when apple enthusiasts say that it's impossible to get a virus on their macs. the only reason that was ever true was because macs weren't very popular, so hackers focused on the huge pc crowd. it's not some magical operating system that's immune to viruses and malware. OSX is just as exploitable as windows these days.

if you want a secure OS, linux is the only sure shot. and again, it's because not many hackers have bothered to create exploits when the userbase and available versions are so limited.

macs are nice computers. i really love the aluminum cases and the high quality screens. just saying.

Edited by justin_thyme (05/10/09 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: JT]
    #10316780 - 05/10/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

> OSX is just as exploitable as windows these days.

I agree, it is not impossible for macs to get a virus.  However, OS-X is based upon Unix which is designed to be multiuser from the ground up.  Windows is based upon DOS which is designed to be singleuser from the ground up.  The windows paradigm, because they continued to hold onto backwards compatibility, is broken.  This is the primary reason why Windows has such a difficult time with virus'.  It has gotten better with Vista and the changes they have made to the registry, but they still have problems.  Claiming that the only reason Macs don't get viruses and Windows does is because of the size of the user base is erroneous.  Windows is flawed and nothing Microsoft does, without dropping backwards compatibility, will fix it.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: Seuss]
    #10320883 - 05/11/09 04:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Heavy duty gaming, or heavy duty anything, on a laptop, is stupid.  They are built to be small, light, and portable, not to be high performance computational beasts.  If you want high performance, for the money, you can get a much better performing desktop.  With a laptop, you are paying for portability and sacrificing performance.

This is true, but for some people (like me) who travel frequently and are hardcore gamers.. it can be much more convenient to have a high-powered gaming laptop. True, you sacrifice a lot of power and performance for the portability, but a compromise can be made. My laptop is big (17") and heavy as hell compared to many (~17 lbs) and the battery life is shit...  but it runs most of the newer high end games very well. True, for what I spent on this thing.. I could have built a BEAST of a desktop with probably twice the raw processing power and peformance...  but I needed a laptop for gaming on the go! Still not gonna stop me from building a beast desktop too though, for ultimate gaming at home.

I'm thinking something on the order of 16GB of RAM and the latest and greatest processor and video cards whenever I get around to doing it.
It will make me feel better for using an 'M' video card for the past year. I have dual 8800M GTs in SLi, but I bet a single 8800 GTX would outperform them :frown:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: Shroomism]
    #10320961 - 05/11/09 05:18 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I would build a small mATX based machine with the same portability as a laptop, but with many times the power.  Display, keyboard, and mouse would be the only issues regarding portability.  Something like the DFI LanParty X58-T3H6 Jr, with an i920 CPU in a tiny chassis such as the SilverStone SG02 or Lian-Li v351.  I don't know about the SG02, but the v351 has enough room for a Noctua U9B heatsink with push/pull fans.  Add a decent modular power supply and a couple of high end graphics cards and you have some serious gaming power in a shoebox sized computer.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDj_sIntjsboh
Stranger

Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: ABC]
    #10321207 - 05/11/09 06:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i threw mine in da bin,,always used to need repair:crazy:

Offlinedopelogic
Avid Lurker

Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: Dj_sIntjsboh]
    #10356830 - 05/18/09 02:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a big fan of the Gateway P series. Affordable and perform great. If your looking on the cheap the Dell Vostro series is great. Ugly as hell, but you can configure them to run comparable systems that cost twice as much.

Offlineinnovation
Stranger
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: dopelogic]
    #10378901 - 05/21/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Any Asus, most categories from gaming to business to entertainment they have top notch notebooks in those categories.  Asus G1 2 years and still running like new, also running Windows 7 and it feels completely different in a bamf way.

--------------------

OfflineHorse_Meister
Edible Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: innovation]
    #10380991 - 05/22/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Recommend XP. Stick to a brand that has excellent warranty. Check first for a local repair shop in your town that will take care of you. If say hp or toshiba just cause of the great warranty coverage. Next thing scope out the specs of the laptop you want. Don't buy future shop or best buy or some other store moving shit product. Good luck. Didn't read the whole thread.

--------------------
KTHXBai2YoU

Horse_Meister

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Offlinew0mbat
Stranger
Re: Another Laptop thread. what to buy? [Re: Glenners]
    #10391021 - 05/24/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

www.ibuypower.com also makes great laptops - but only PC though. If you do decide to go PC, just don't buy a namebrand lap top - they cost more and come pre-loaded with spyware and other crap you don't want

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale