Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: skatealex2]
    #10391041 - 05/24/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Jesus' story is about turning the other cheek and love

not burning people at the stake, raping the lands and selling goat cheese

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Konyap]
    #10391046 - 05/24/09 01:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:dizope:

OfflineKonyap

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: skatealex2]
    #10391071 - 05/24/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

no homo

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Mr.Al]
    #10391105 - 05/24/09 01:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.Al said:

I find it nothing short of nonsensical that most scientists speak of a black hole at the center of the galaxy when all I see is a VERY bright light.

Are you serious?

Their IS a supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy and their finding them in the centers of galaxies all throughout the universe. Some say that every galaxy has a super massive black hole at it's center.

The VERY bright light you see in the center of galaxies is a bunch of stars forming. It's a star forming region and there's A LOT of stars around there making lots of light.

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflinecollinZzZz
have moicy!
 User Gallery

Loc: midwaist
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: hpi]
    #10391192 - 05/24/09 01:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

YO!  IMO the problem (for human thinking) started when we tried to separate where there is truly no separateness.  We ARE the whole thing, everything IS the whole thing.  The beginning and the end of the entire universe is contained in each atom.  To me each and every religion out there sounds almost exactly the SAME, with the only differences in language and dogma seeming to arise out of our own isolation (geographical and later social) and limited capacity for perception.  It's time to break down those walls.

It all builds exponentially toward more and more complexity, our entire universe is probably just a small part of the circuit, so it's time(IMO) to just relax all of ourselves and let it flow through us (it will whether we relax or not) and I think we may come to see that what we do have here (the planet earth) is truly special.  We have a complex system supporting the lives of beings (us) that have the capacity to see all this as what it is inside and out because it is us.

--------------------
"I have never freed myself from the suspicion that there is something very odd about this mission."

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: hpi]
    #10391497 - 05/24/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hpi said:
Quote:

Mr.Al said:

I find it nothing short of nonsensical that most scientists speak of a black hole at the center of the galaxy when all I see is a VERY bright light.

Are you serious?

Their IS a supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy and their finding them in the centers of galaxies all throughout the universe. Some say that every galaxy has a super massive black hole at it's center.

The VERY bright light you see in the center of galaxies is a bunch of stars forming. It's a star forming region and there's A LOT of stars around there making lots of light.

If there are black holes in the centers of galaxies throughout the universe how is the universe expanding at an ever increasing rate?

OfflineKonyap

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Mr.Al]
    #10391515 - 05/24/09 03:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

most of the universe is empty space blah blah blah asteroid

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10391626 - 05/24/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.Al said:
Quote:

hpi said:
Quote:

Mr.Al said:

Are you serious?

If there are black holes in the centers of galaxies throughout the universe how is the universe expanding at an ever increasing rate?

I don't quiet remember how it's expanding but I read about it in a book of mine, interesting stuff!. But it IS expanding and their ARE black holes at the centers of galaxies.

--------------------

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflineKonyap

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Konyap]
    #10391627 - 05/24/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>

i like this guy

OfflineDude96
Stranger

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    #10391675 - 05/24/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.Al said:
Quote:

hpi said:
Quote:

Mr.Al said:

Are you serious?

How isn't it?

I agree that some take science as a religion, however it irritates me to no end when people generalize and state science as a whole, in the purest, most simplified form is a religion.

Science is logic, reason and skepticism as said by someone earlier (thank you for that). People who attempt to state that science as a whole is wrong and that it is all simply a belief because there are unanswered questions fail to recognize the fact that questions are being solved.

To answer your question, the currently proposed ideas are dark matter, as well as abnormal curvatures to the space time continuum caused by gravitational fluctuations. Essentially, although Einstein was brilliant, there's a lot he wasn't sure of, couldn't be sure of and we're still not sure of.

But we're finding out more and more, an example of this is Einstein's relativistic predictions regarding cosmic rays. For more than a decade, physicists in japan have been seeing cosmic rays that don't exist. Not supernova induced particles, but the very highest energy particles speculated to be produced in deep space. (where is unknown, but that's not the question at hand.)

As these particles travel through space, they lose energy through each occurring collision, keep in mind, this is any particle collision, background radiation etc etc.

Einstein predicted that any cosmic rays of such a nature reaching earth from a source outside of our galaxy would have suffered so many collision that their max energy is 5x 10^19 electronvolts, known as the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin limit.

Long story short, we're being bombarded with rays, as indicated by the work of modern Japanese scientists with energy greater than that of Einsteins supposed limit. This is a scientific breakthrough as it opens up new thought and the re-thinking of old thought, in this case special relativity and space curvature, as if the particles found it easier to travel through space in a certain direction (a slant if you will) then these energies are possible.

Many would say its another fallacy with science to explain the unexplainable. Others would see it as a method to explain the unexplained. Regardless, to state that that which currently is not explained can not be explained simply because we currently don't have the means to is in my opinion very weak logic.

While im posting, I might as well address someone mentioning earlier that Religion progressed into science, and who knows whats tomorrow. I'm curious as to what you think tomorrow would hold, personally I see the end of science as extinction, there will always be questions. Once we're out of this universe (bhahahah as if we'll survive that long) we'll begin researching a means to enter new ones with new laws.

I see it as Religion -> Science -> Extinction ->New life -> New civilization -> Religion....etc etc

--------------------
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that our eyes once watered."
-Tom Stoppard

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
-Samuel Johnson

I will be a cancer upon you, ravaging all that you love and sundering your beliefs. Then, and only then, once you have fallen so far and are but a shell of that which you once were, I will grant you your every dream.
Only to crush them all before your eyes. You doubted my willpower, you abused my generosity, and now you will recognize my cruelty.
-Anonymous

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: WonkierBubble]
    #10391745 - 05/24/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

WonkierBubble said:
Quote:

Glenners said:
Personally I think the oscillating universe theory is close to the truth. We're trapped in eternal perpetual expanding/collapsing. the universe expands, the gravitational pull from all the matter brings it back to the original stage of everything moving together until everything gets way to dense and it repels and expands again for billions of years.

And to those who ask "what happened before the Big Bang" the point is, you simply can't ask that question, because you are asking about something that did not exist. The problem many see with this answer is that the human mind cannot comprehend nothing, so we are left asking the same questions, even though they should not be asked in the first place.

thats a convenient argument. No way to refute it cause its not comprehensible.

there had to be something there is allways something. whether it be a void or mass in a void.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

OfflineDude96
Stranger

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: sui]
    #10391780 - 05/24/09 04:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

suimush said:
Quote:

WonkierBubble said:
Quote:

Glenners said:
Personally I think the oscillating universe theory is close to the truth. We're trapped in eternal perpetual expanding/collapsing. the universe expands, the gravitational pull from all the matter brings it back to the original stage of everything moving together until everything gets way to dense and it repels and expands again for billions of years.

And to those who ask "what happened before the Big Bang" the point is, you simply can't ask that question, because you are asking about something that did not exist. The problem many see with this answer is that the human mind cannot comprehend nothing, so we are left asking the same questions, even though they should not be asked in the first place.

thats a convenient argument. No way to refute it cause its not comprehensible.

there had to be something there is allways something. whether it be a void or mass in a void.

The same can be said of your argument, as you imply a necessity of existence, there may have been something before, but you can't rule out that there was nothing before.

--------------------
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that our eyes once watered."
-Tom Stoppard

"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
-Samuel Johnson

I will be a cancer upon you, ravaging all that you love and sundering your beliefs. Then, and only then, once you have fallen so far and are but a shell of that which you once were, I will grant you your every dream.
Only to crush them all before your eyes. You doubted my willpower, you abused my generosity, and now you will recognize my cruelty.
-Anonymous

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Dude96]
    #10391802 - 05/24/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

your right, but i also stated that i believe the lack of something still is something.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: sui]
    #10392199 - 05/24/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So what came before GOD?  who is God's father?  i think when people 2000+ years ago were talking about "god" and "heaven" they were talking about the same things we're talking about now only their knowledge was more limited.

Instead of "heaven"  or "the heavens"  we call it "the universe"  now.

They had limited knowledge about science and astronomy back then and a whole lot of folk-lore and stories were made up. I think a lot of people genuinely believed these stories because they had no better explanation.

from there religions evolve.  every religion i can think of has strong astrological connections,  and like today,  as we are doing in this thread,  people are make up stories and theorize about "the heavens."  how they started, why things are as they are etc.

the problem i have with religion today,  is that most of them base their beliefs on ancient obsolete knoledge, stories, and folk lore.  our knowledge of the heavens and our existence has progressed since then. 

to deny scientific progress and to trust ancient mythology is burying your head in the sand,  but i guess ignorance is bliss,  and people would rather be blissfully ignorant than destitute and informed.

Saying "you cannot prove something that has no evidence of it's existence doesn't exist"  isn't a valid argument that it exists.  it would never in a million years hold up in the scientific community,  and is a ridiculous reason to believe that it does.

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: WonkierBubble]
    #10392229 - 05/24/09 05:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

WonkierBubble said:

I don't get this line of reasoning. How can something come out of nothing?

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: DimensionX]
    #10392233 - 05/24/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ex nihilo, nihilo fit.

I find it more unbelievable that the Universe has always existed, though.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: deCypher]
    #10392327 - 05/24/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Ex nihilo, nihilo fit.

That's a dark tranquility song :awesome:

--------------------

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflinePoptart
 User Gallery

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: deCypher]
    #10392767 - 05/24/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Ex nihilo, nihilo fit.

I don't know though as crazy as it sounds I think it would have had to always exist.

I think our universe has been expanding and contracting forever.

OfflineKonyap

Re: Growing up in an insanely religious family is like being in a mental prison. [Re: Poptart]
    #10393160 - 05/24/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

fuck that imma go to the penguin universe and prove you people wrong

nothing but high energy penguins for miles and miles programing letters and dancing to numbers

LA LA LALALALA LA LA LA LA LAAAA repeat forever/

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #10393210 - 05/24/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I don't trust penguins. What are they planning? Tell me!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale