Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

Why so few past 50 do psychedelics
    #10384965 - 05/23/09 02:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I came to psychedelics late in life--60 years old--and with the purpose of finding some answers to questions that nothing else--I have tried philosophy and religious and advaita meditation--had been able to give me. It surprises me--judging from the polls and posts published on this site--to find so few people my age and older participating in this type of quest. Comments anyone?

--------------------
My father used to say: I don't care what else you do in life, just don't be an asshole. People, forgive me when I forget what my daddy said.

Cut back the proliferating list of people whose opinions can hurt you. Unless they have done or want to do you some good, their views are just not worth tracking.
Saul Bellow

“People are just cannibals unless they leave each other alone.” Doris Lessing

Those whom the gods would save, they dower with compassion. Mr. P.  Silocybin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: champinhom]
    #10384976 - 05/23/09 03:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think alot of ppl your age may have been into psychedelics when they were really big... and some may not feel the need to use them anymore.

It could also be that none of them know of the website, or know how to use the internet at all...

Just a thought. I'm not implying that older ppl are dumb, or slow, or anything of that nature. Some of them just don't have any desire to learn how to operate computers.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: ChrisWho]
    #10385095 - 05/23/09 04:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for replying.  You are certainly right.People my age lose interest in learning about computers and about almost everything else--"Why should we learn anything new when we already know everything that's worth knowing anyway?"

--------------------
My father used to say: I don't care what else you do in life, just don't be an asshole. People, forgive me when I forget what my daddy said.

Cut back the proliferating list of people whose opinions can hurt you. Unless they have done or want to do you some good, their views are just not worth tracking.
Saul Bellow

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #10385117 - 05/23/09 05:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I'm past my middle 50's and I'm here!

After a lengthy hiatus to get a great education, have a career, raise a family, I'm back to trying to figure out the REAL meaning of life, and come to terms with what might be at its end.  In part, I'm responsibly experimenting with psychedelics (self-grown shrooms and DMT) to address those questions with reasonably good results.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: Nature Boy]
    #10385208 - 05/23/09 06:46 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Nature Boy: I know where you are coming from.What I am wondering is--where are you/we going?  Do you feel more able to handle this stuff--I am not doing anything but mushrooms--now than before?

--------------------

Saul Bellow

Offlinealbien5
Happy traveler
Male

Loc: Thessaloniki
    #10385233 - 05/23/09 07:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

champinhom said:
I came to psychedelics late in life--60 years old--and with the purpose of finding some answers to questions that nothing else--I have tried philosophy and religious and advaita meditation--had been able to give me. It surprises me--judging from the polls and posts published on this site--to find so few people my age and older participating in this type of quest. Comments anyone?

There are health risks at those ages and the society close them so very well , i mean they are listening all those years DRUGS BAD etc. I don't thing there are any other reasons.
I propose you to stick to this forum and smoke some weed which is enough, drugs are tools to self exploration if taken properly .

EDIT: Please ignore my post :smile:

Edited by albien5 (05/23/09 07:10 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#10385236 - 05/23/09 07:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i am in this older group too, but where ever I go I am the one who most thinks out of the box, upside down, backwards, but I am paid to think like this.
expected and invited.
salvia and lsd in my opinion
are fountains of youth.
difficult struggles some times, but great for exercising the mind.
alcohol is just merriment.

most people are conservative and scared.
even the young ones,

even the brave crazy ones who do too much drugs.
most of those are into the olympic heroics of memorable acts,
how that affects their pecking order -
and that fear of death syndrome which is so entangled with heroism and what gets left behind.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: redgreenvines]
    #10385265 - 05/23/09 07:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, we are utterly frightened to find out...what? We seem to be like the carrotstick man--we already know what we are after and it would be so great if only we could reach it. But to just jump into not knowing...that is scary as hell.

--------------------

Saul Bellow

InvisibleShad0w
In trouble again.
Male

#10385338 - 05/23/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

Just like listening to old folks talk about stuff.

I am quite sure the longer shadows of mortality engage a lot of the more profound ideas in much less philosophical and much more personally revelational ways.

Perspective is everything. And youth is wasted on the young.

Lets eat some droogz, maaaaan! :crazy2:

--------------------
Nothing I write on Shroomery's message boards or in private messages are true.  I am fucking crazy and I make all this shit up because I can.

[quote]sploogepanz55 said:
^^^ haha what a bummer, shad0w. All this talk about dying. :smile:
[/quote]

[quote]psychoanomaly said:
And so, I feel your intolerance and phobia towards rectal administration of psychedelics is a violation of the music of the spheres :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote]shroom_sandwich said:
I could have sworn I seen a thread about a guy saying his dog killed the neighbors chickens earlier....[/quote]

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: Shad0w]
    #10385430 - 05/23/09 08:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It mustbe pretty weird for a 60+ year old to talk to a dealer, maby they are embarresed or something? Or fear prison too much, as what 60+ year old would like to spend a while in prison?

Offlineeritas
ilovedrugs
Male

Loc: brooklyn NYC
Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: The Centre]
    #10385465 - 05/23/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my friends father is fifty something
he still does phsycs every once in a while
but mostly at ayahuasca ceromonies and other such events
his apartment is filled with amazing things to look at when on acid, and he is so fun to talk to when tripping or when sober

--------------------
heres to our lives being meaningless
and how beautiful it is
because freedom doesnt have a purpose

check out my art :smile:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14505741&page=0&vc=1#14505741
and my goggles and jewelry
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15209555

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

#10385572 - 05/23/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

champinhom said:
Nature Boy: I know where you are coming from.What I am wondering is--where are you/we going?

Hate to sound glib, but the true answer is "wherever it takes me."

Quote:

Do you feel more able to handle this stuff--I am not doing anything but mushrooms--now than before?

Absolutely!  I have a safe, secure environment, a good family, and I'm so "over" the self-administration for the sole purpose of getting high.  While I've been exploring fairly powerful substances (reportedly), I've not encountered a single thing I couldn't handle or wasn't prepared for.

The amount of information is staggering...and it has become so much easier to know what you are getting yourself into.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

#10385579 - 05/23/09 09:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

champinhom said:
But to just jump into not knowing...that is scary as hell.

Huh???  There is a SHIT-TON of information here, on Erowid, and in a myriad of other places.  There is never a reason to be or feel uninformed nowadays.

N.B.

--------------------

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
    #10385611 - 05/23/09 09:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is not considered socially acceptable to be interested in psychedelics.  All those long years of fear mongering in the Drug War has made some of the older generation uncomfortable with things that are seriously mind altering.

Some old folk may be concerned about health issues.  I have seen pics of old shamans who appear much healthier than you average teenage or young adult American. 

I have noticed that tripping, especially with Ayahuasca, seems to make me feel healthier.  Even if I haven't worked out in awhile my body looks and feels like I have.

There is something to be said about the need for unusual and even difficult experiences that are internal experientially that may do a great deal to stave off the mental difficulties associated with advanced age.

I think it is very necessary to challenge ourselves internally in order to keep our minds in good condition.

All you older folk need to look into stuff like
pyroglutamic acid.  It's an amino acid that is found in high concentrations in the brain, blood, and cerebro spinal fluid.  I have been taking it daily and find it improves cognitive functioning and physical coordination nicely.

I buy that stuff from bulknutrition.com

It is something that falls into the class of supplements called "nootropics", which as I understand it, are supplements for the brain and central nervous system.

The stuff is dirt cheap so please give it a shot!

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
    #10385617 - 05/23/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

When I was in High School, my friend's dad would occasionally smoke weed with him. It's crazy, I know, but the man used to smoke weed as a crazy young'n. But it's not like he smoked weed a lot, just when my friend got a sack.
  I think they just lose the ability to obtain drugs. It's not like they can talk to a dealer, hell no. If I was dealing, I'd be fucking suspicious.
  And when they start a family and have a house with kids, it's difficult to grow or make the drugs at home. After a while, I think they just drop the matter...
Of course, there was always my other friend. One day, he stumbled upon his parents grow room: a locked, humming cabinet with light leaking through the sides. He eventually found the keys and checked it out. Inside:
-many ounces of fresh, beautiful marijuana
-a hash ball the size of a tennis ball
-a vaporizer
-grow lamps and an ionizer
By the looks of his parents' set-up, I think they were fucking DEALING the weed! They were well over fifty... :smile:

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: Mykologist]
    #10385709 - 05/23/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

maybe tripping is less fun when your body is becoming senile

--------------------

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

#10385766 - 05/23/09 10:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I like Erowid too and have read a lot there and elsewhere.

--------------------

Saul Bellow

Invisiblechampinhom
Lord Justhappensness
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: Mr.Al]
    #10385771 - 05/23/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. I will check on that stuff.

--------------------

Saul Bellow

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Re: Why so few past 50 do psychedelics [Re: Noteworthy]
    #10385805 - 05/23/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
maybe tripping is less fun when your body is becoming senile

I hope you're joking.  Having done both (real Owsley acid in the late 60's early 70's...not the shit you get today) when I was in my teens, and now shrooms, Salvia and DMT 40 years later...there's no comparison.

Having more courage, less concern about dying, always having a safe, secure home environment under my complete control, and more drug and other life experience etc., etc. makes it a whole lot BETTER!  Trust me...we (your elders) can compete!  :headbanger:

N.B.

--------------------

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

#10385934 - 05/23/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that most people above 50 don't like to use computers. there are plenty of older people out there that trip and probably don't even own a computer.

once the experimentation phase wares off (25-30) people start to leave psychedelics for multiple reasons

1 they have found what they were looking for
2 psychedelics are scary
3 they believe that there is no way to integrate the experience into there everyday life.
4 i could write a book on this topic.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale