Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenyi
Stranger
Subaeruginosa mycelium on wood sticks looks like mold
    #10363265 - 05/19/09 08:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I'm reading this forum for quite some time and I'm cultivating as of January, some cubes, some other P. species on agar and I have my first Copelandia pins in FC right now. Now, my question:

I've got some subaeruginosa print about 2 months ago and germinated them on agar. For some reason I had not much time to care for my plates and cared for cased trays in FC only marginally. The plates I'm talking about had very thin layer of agar and dried out a good bit.

Mycelium was very "sleepy". I put some hot water soaked pine wook on fully colonized plates. No growth was visible for weeks.

I tried to put bleach/water soaked wood sticks on top of fully colonized agar plate. They turned orange-red in a few days and after about 2 weeks mycelium stated to grew on them. Not too fast, not too slow. I'll post pics of it later.

It looks fluffy, little bit like cobweb, bot tends to create more string like structures... it's just different, not so much unorganized as cobweb. It's darker orangeish colour then cube or pans myc. The thing which bothers me very mush is the smell... it's not a fungi-smell... it's a little bit moldy. Again not as cobweb, I smell something in the air from the petri dish.

This is definitely not similar to my azures. All pictures of subaeruginosa mycelium look different. I don't know how fast is mold on wood, but it's too slow to be mold... but...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBoarders
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Subaeruginosa mycelium on wood sticks looks like mold [Re: nyi]
    #10368473 - 05/20/09 07:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I doesn't sound like subaeruginosa mycelium.

Offlinenyi
Stranger

Re: Subaeruginosa mycelium on wood sticks looks like mold [Re: Boarders]
    #10373478 - 05/21/09 12:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK... here are some pictures... it really doesn't look like subaeruginosa mycelium. It looks as if the surface of agar is covered by some dust - mold spores.

This are the wood sticks after they turned red and a few days/weeks later:

The at the wood sticks looked dead, after I removed them from petri dish and placed them to another wood sticks (in a jar) this type of growth occurred:

And a closer look from different angle:

The little "blobs" of mycelium bothers me... this is seen in many types of mold. Probably I encountered and wood-loving mold... sh*t :frown:

Offlinenyi
Stranger

#10380139 - 05/22/09 04:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK... A week ago I inoculated another agar plate with subaeruginosa. It it germinated after a week and contaminated few days later (from the inoculation points). The yeast colony has bat time colonizing other areas then those, were was sub. mycelium present... strange.

I inoculated another plate two days ago... I'll see how these will go. I think this is my last post on this thread.

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
    #10383590 - 05/22/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

One question.

Why are you trying to put wood onto the agar culture?

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags