Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
My problem with wine matchings
    #10370045 - 05/20/09 02:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I was at Vetri this past weekend for the degustation (post to come),

with the matching wines, after a while, i just had enough.

I've always been incredibly skeptical at this silly notion that seems to be applicable to almost all fine dining places.

I never bought into the belief, that it is somehow appropriate, or even a heightening experience to match every dish with a glass of wine.

Not to say i haven't had certain foods which were good with wine, which there are plenty of.

But there have also been plenty of misses, and just plain audacities as to why wine would be served with a dish.

I think it's stupid to think that something as tart and strong as ethyl alcohol, or even fermented grapes, could be altered in a way to heighten and enhance every single dish of food that's out there.

It's just fucking stupid.  It's like saying why not is there a SAKE for every single dish of food out there, or a BEER, or VODKA matching for every single dish out there.

In fact, i sometimes really hate any flavor of alcohol at all with food. 

You can't deny two simple facts here.  First, alcohol being an acid, i don't care how fine of a wine it is, you'll still taste the acidic tartness of alcohol, which in NO WAY could be compatible with all forms of food.  It's just plain dumb.

Secondly, the simple effect of alcohol to inhibit local nerves, including your palatine ganglion, numbens both your taste buds, and your olfactory nerves.

Now a days, when i really want to experience the food, i do the most sensible thing possible and just drink a glass of water.

THank you for reading my rant.  Opposing viewpoints are welcome.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTypicalTripper
CannabisCuddling Canuck

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #10370108 - 05/20/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe it has something to do with wine being one of the oldest forms of alcohol known to man , and the enormous diversity of tastes produced by the mixing of different types of grapes/fermentation time/type of wood of the keg etc... In many cultures , a good meal is often accompanied by an equally fine bottle of wine.

It's not a rule to accompany everything you eat with a glass of wine , but it is rather a delicacy and a pleasure to match the flavors of your meal ( meat , nuts , spices, fat) , with the delicate aroma of a well-chosen wine that completes the flavors and cleans your taste buds between two bites.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: TypicalTripper]
    #10370152 - 05/20/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TypicalTripper said:
Maybe it has something to do with wine being one of the oldest forms of alcohol known to man , and the enormous diversity of tastes produced by the mixing of different types of grapes/fermentation time/type of wood of the keg etc... In many cultures , a good meal is often accompanied by an equally fine bottle of wine.

It's not a rule to accompany everything you eat with a glass of wine , but it is rather a delicacy and a pleasure to match the flavors of your meal ( meat , nuts , spices, fat) , with the delicate aroma of a well-chosen wine that completes the flavors and cleans your taste buds between two bites.

I have a hard time believing that fermented grape juice "cleans" taste buds to a state of flavor neutrality.

And not to say, wine doesn't match with alot of foods, which it does.

But i just don't feel like people should justify matching a wine with every single course in a degustation meal, just because there are so many delicate flavors and diverse components, there's no way that something as directive as wine (no matter HOW diverse it gets, wine is still wine) could be thought to not only match but ENHANCE every tasting experience that a plate offers.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #10383640 - 05/22/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I agree Liquid, I've never been a drinker, but I just don't see how wines enhance the dining experience? If anything it detracts from the food imo.

Another boozey, numbing acidic liquid to go with your perfectly cooked squab breast Sir?

personally, I think the whole wine industry morphed into a cash cow around the time people stopped making their own on a regular basis.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineBarkley
8 year olds, dude
Male

Loc: Flawda
    #10383677 - 05/22/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yeah.  women respond to this shit.  or at least play ball.  so when i'm cooking dinner or attending dinner, i always pick up a bottle of wine.  it started off for impressions, but now i do it just for me.  i like going to a wine specialty store and hearing the cheese eating clerk's wine pitch.

"this bottle here is oak heavy with lots of tannins, it will complement any meat or fish...and the bouquet..."

i'm like, whatever you say clown, just give me a bottle of red and try not to rape my ass over the price.

--------------------

Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: That didn't happen. I didn't do that.
Shark: So what did you do?
Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: I did what I wanted to do.
Shark: Which was what, again?
Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: All things. A.L.L.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: Barkley]
    #10383693 - 05/22/09 07:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yesss a lebowski avatar

I GONNA FUCK YOU IN THE ASS LEBOWSKI

--------------------

OfflineBarkley
8 year olds, dude
Male

Loc: Flawda
    #10383793 - 05/22/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"...jungle love....oh ee oh ee oh!"

--------------------

Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: That didn't happen. I didn't do that.
Shark: So what did you do?
Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: I did what I wanted to do.
Shark: Which was what, again?
Mouse 'Fitz' Fitzgerald: All things. A.L.L.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #10383971 - 05/22/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Myself, I dont like many alcohol drinks with food..

I think that a true pairing of drinks with food should run the gauntlet.  ALL drinks, alcoholic or not.

BUTT, I guess its much easier to convince people to spend $500 on 8 ounces of cheep food and a liter of cheep booze if you liquor them up and tell them that its "fancy".

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: GabbaDj]
    #10384040 - 05/22/09 09:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ha at the restaurant Per Se, the table next to us ordered some few thousand bottle of wine. I mean literally a few grand.  Something truly angered me about that, until I realized where I was

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: Chespirito]
    #10384238 - 05/22/09 10:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:
Ha at the restaurant Per Se, the table next to us ordered some few thousand bottle of wine. I mean literally a few grand.  Something truly angered me about that, until I realized where I was

I once went to a party in College park Dallas, with a girl I was dating who had a rich daddy..  I was always uncomfortable eating at the country club on her dads card but she insisted that it was cool..    And it was..  Her daddy made big bucks.

On the 4th of July one year he threw a BIG party and he had his own wine cellar.  My roomate at the time was a wine vendor for MrG's in Plano and he come up to me at one time in the night and told me that he just drank our entire months rent in one glass...

I laughed and he was just serious as all hell.  He then smiled and told me that he was going to drink our years rent before the night.  Then he ran off..

I say this because I know that wine people are full of shit.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineMr Tulip
Stranger

Loc: NL - FRL:P
Re: My problem with wine matchings [Re: GabbaDj]
    #10384665 - 05/23/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

in the past a dish was made up specially for the wine,so the dish would complement the wine and not the other way around. but now days chefs first make up a dish and then search a matching wine at witch they don't always succeed.

--------------------
this is —ing good wood!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates