Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Ecstasy has dramatic effect on Parkinson's symptom
    #1036023 - 11/08/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.newscientist.com/news/print.jsp?id=ns99993015

Ecstasy has dramatic effect on Parkinson's symptoms

19:00 06 November 02
David Concar

Ecstasy is being hailed as the key to better treatments for the Parkinson's disease, marking a complete turnaround from a few weeks ago when ecstasy was condemned for causing the disease.

New animal studies have confirmed anecdotal reports that ecstasy can dramatically curb the uncontrollable arm and leg movements that plague so many people with Parkinson's. But the finding may be of little immediate help to sufferers.

The researchers are not calling for patients to be given legal supplies of ecstasy (MDMA). Instead, they want to look for related drugs with the same beneficial effects. And patients are being warned against trying MDMA for themselves. "It's impure, illegal and dangerous," says Robert Meadowcroft, policy director of Britain's Parkinson's Disease Society.

Others are calling for further animal studies to establish the effective dose, followed by human trials. "People who are suffering should have the right to decide carefully for themselves whether or not to take MDMA," says American drugs policy campaigner Rick Doblin. His organisation, MAPS, recently won approval from the Food and Drug Administration for a human trial of ecstasy for treating post-traumatic stress disorder.

Regaining control

The latest study was prompted by the experiences of a former stuntman, Tim Lawrence. He made headlines when he claimed in a BBC TV documentary that "E" enabled him to regain control of his body for hours at a time.

Parkinson's experts at the University of Manchester decided to test Lawrence's claims. Concerns about the dangers of MDMA ruled out human trials, says team member Jonathan Brotchie, who now runs Manchester-based biotech company Motac. So the researchers turned to marmosets with a form of the disease.

Parkinson's is caused by a loss of the dopamine-producing cells in the brain. Symptoms include rigidity and a shuffling gait. Since the late 1960s doctors have treated it with L-dopa, a chemical precursor to dopamine that can "unfreeze" patients.

The downside is that patients develop uncontrollable movements after taking L-dopa for a while. Their condition tends to oscillates between flailing limbs while on the drug and immobility off it.

To mimic Parkinson's, they gave six marmosets a chemical that kills dopamine neurons. Then, over the next few months, the monkeys had daily doses of L-dopa until they developed the usual side effect of uncontrolled movements. At this point the animals were given MDMA.

Dramatic effects

The effects were dramatic. Normally, monkeys on L-dopa move their arms and legs around in a repetitive and uncontrolled way virtually all the time. But in the six hours after a dose of MDMA, these movements happened no more than 15 per cent of the time. MDMA somehow reduces the debilitating side effects of L-dopa without blocking its beneficial effects.

"The magnitude and quality of the effect took us by surprise," says Brotchie, whose team's findings were unveiled this week at the conference of the Society for Neuroscience in Florida. "It was always possible that Tim's response to ecstasy was unusual."

The researchers suspect the finding reflects MDMA's ability to stimulate the release of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. That might make up for a lack of serotonin caused by taking L-dopa for prolonged periods, says Brotchie. However, there are fears that MDMA can damage serotonin-producing cells.

And last month the journal Science published a paper claiming that MDMA can actually cause the type of damage to dopamine cells that can lead to Parkinson's. But the evidence was far from conclusive.

19:00 06 November 02

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHunterThomson
HunterThomson
Loc: I live in the state of mi...
Re: Ecstasy has dramatic effect on Parkinson's symptom [Re: Eightball]
    #1039157 - 11/09/02 03:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey! that is realy cool. :smile:

What I don't get is why do they alwas try to get a simoler drug to use for medical perposos. If you know a little about syntheses of MDMA and LSD25 and TMA-2 and MDA you come to find that shitty cemecals will produce a lot of sidafects and will hert your body. you also find that Prozac and uther anti depresents work the same way MDMA works but it is just a shitter molecule so you get less a desierd efect and a how lot of sid efects someny I won't even begen to start. If the goverment would let testing of ilegal drugs and the medical use of them they would beable to at lest help the milons of people who are being fucked up by anti deperesents by just geving them lower doses of MDMA and it seems they can to the same for parconses. :mad:
and it also pises me off that they go on and on about how MDMA and uther drugs hert you but sents they are "illigal" they can never do the tests to find out for a fact if and how they efect you and heart you! IT IS SO FUCKING STUPED! :mad: 

Anonymous

#1048671 - 11/13/02 04:26 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i understood it increased the likelyhood of developing parkinsons or parkinsons like symptoms. this information was discussed at an open health forum. according to null there is alot of information on the subject...

my personal experience involves a young cousin who got involved in heavy use while fitting in with a new group of friends at college... she's been clean for over a year now but there is still a noticable difference in the way she moves... you can literally see it... will i go so far as to describe it as parkinson disease... no... but something definitely happened... i will say that she was put on a moderate excercise program, a good diet and supplementation that includes dmae, carnosine and a wide host of anti oxidents...

i'll try and collect some references regarding mdma... whats interesting about the post is... i was always under the impression the mdma is what caused the brain to not recycle seratonin properly to begin with... creating a dependence on the drug in order to prevent depression symptoms... interesting issue...peace

Offlineisam
vofw

Loc: NV, USA
    #1050945 - 11/13/02 10:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The only dramatic effect it has on parkinsons is the fact that it makes them really popular during a rave when they can do the robot better than anyone else.  Just kidding...actually that's very interesting and I hope to hear more news about it...pretty cool stuff :smile:

--------------------
Muad'Dib
muaddib@immortaldescendants.org
RET

OfflineKelly
tripper
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
    #1232358 - 01/19/03 08:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Legalize Ecstasy all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: 

--------------------
"Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loath thee."
-Edgar Allan Poe

"Never be bought and never be sold.:
-Anonymous

-Daytripper

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ�...
Re: Ecstasy has dramatic effect on Parkinson's symptom [Re: Kelly]
    #1246229 - 01/24/03 01:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

They?re not going to legalize ecstasy the affects of MDMA merely reduced the symptoms of people who are suffering from advanced Parkinson?s disease.
They are currently looking for another alternative Stimulant other than MDMA, but with the same characteristics.
I'm sure the door will always be closed to MDMA and the public, and if there ever was legislation to reform the law it would be so Pharmaceutical Companies Could use it in prescription medicine, and it would only be prescribed to people with advanced Parkinson?s disease. But I wouldn't count on that ever happening either.

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order