Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version)
    #10341054 - 05/14/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I picked up a storage container the other day.  95liter or 25gallon, the dimensions are 17.25" x 31" x 15.5".

What attracted me to this container was its lid.  There is a 3" rise on it as you can see in this picture.

this got me thinking, so I picked up a 24' light rope; installed it temporary with some gorilla tape onto the lid just to see how it was going to fit, and came up with this.

Lights off

lights on

I am going to do some testing before anything goes into the container, as soon as I find a humidity and temperature gauge.  I am curious how much the light will effect temp.  before I take further actions on the unit.

Since I know any light will generate heat, I came up with an idea.  What I want to do is. At each short sides of the lid put a fan extracting air out.  Probably a computer fan, hooked up to a 12v charger, on an interval timer. The interval timer I am thinking will give me a little more control of temp, and/or humidly, if it affects that.

I do not plan on just slapping this fan onto the side of the container lid.  What I am thinking is: take say a 3" long piece of 2" PVC, cut a circle on the lid side, then mounting that into the lid. Stuff that with polyfill, then have the fan extract through or onto that. these sizes are just estimates, I will need to purchase a fan, and then find the best fitting way to  install it; because, I do want a tight seal on the backside of the fan so that it is drawing air from the lid.

Another option I am considering is; buying a piece of Plexiglas or overhead lighting plastic and sealing it onto a ridge inside the lid.  I am thinking that this would seal off the Lid airflow that would come from the fans.  So If I needed to control the temp inside the FC I could drill holes in this plastic.  I do plan on putting plastic (seran wrap) over the FC itself, but this lid I want to almost make a separate part of the operation.  If I did go with this plastic barrier route, I would have to either seal it with silicone, or put a few small screws around the perimeter, because there are little nubs around the 1/4 ledge that would prevent a way to secure it to that alone.  Another thing this plastic layer would do, is allow me to change the color spectra of this light, I know its a disputed area whether blue light (440-490nm) is optimal for pinning. But, I could slip a gel filter into this glass and get the spectra closer to this "optimal" condition.

here is a pic of the ridge I am talking about

Anyhow, that is where I am at currently with this project.  I am curious to hear the community's response, suggestions or experience with trying something similar.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineorison
mcfluffysugarnuts

Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10341083 - 05/14/09 11:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

nice... :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10341268 - 05/15/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Cultivation topic.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10342081 - 05/15/09 05:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Do you know the colour temperature of those lights?? If the are not within 6000k/7000k then they are not the right kind. It looks a little orange, i would guess there around 3000k. White LEdS would be a better choice, and that would solve your heating problem, LEDS give off very little.

Computer fans dont do to well in high humidity, moisture gets into them and the burn out, usualy within a week or 2. Also, those little computer fans wont pull or push air much if any air through polyfill, not there not designed to work at any static pressure.

You dont need to worrya about regulating humidity, keep it as high as you can. 95%+.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10342113 - 05/15/09 05:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You need bright intense light in the 6500K range. Those rope lights would be a poor choice. If I were you, I would cut out the lid and put plexi on it and then buy a compact flourecent in the daylight spectrum. This would give you much better results. Also, if you cover the fruiting chamber in plastic you are going to get poor results. When fruiting, they need as much fresh air as you can give them while keeping a high humidity. Putting the light inside the FC is NEVER a good idea. Dont want to be a downer, just want to see you succeed. And with that combination of light and plastic covering you would be setting yourself up for failure. Oh and ditch the polyfill. Contams shouldnt be an issue at this point in your operation. The more fresh air you can give them, the better off you will be. Polyfil will hinder that.

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: shroomerite]
    #10342171 - 05/15/09 06:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

a packed panel of led lights would probably work.  ive seen some bright ass flashlights.

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: RedDevil420]
    #10342557 - 05/15/09 08:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't really mention anything about the bottom part of the FC other than putting plastic over it.  I realize more FAE is necessary to trigger pinning. I am going with the monotube style FC, similar to http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7490393/an/0/page/0.

I'm thinking of the polyfill before the fan is, I was curious to find out if that would help keep some of the humidity off the fan itself. The fans would me mainly for getting rid of the extra heat the light will be giving off, and possibly helping air exchange.  One reason I was thinking of putting them on an interval timer is because I am not cure if that would change a free air exchange to a semi forced air exchange, therefor lowering the humidity..

As far as the lights color, they are "white" clear.  I am positive the orange appearance is due to the reflection off of the lid. Ideally I would like to hang a MH lamp over the unit, but that is not an option.

Here is the photo with the white balance adjusted to white instead of neutral grey.

I might actually buy another one of the containers, just so I can build two lids.  Because another option I was considering was attaching a mini aquarium light (with 6" or 9" compact florescent bulbs). This I know I will be able to adjust color temp by using separate bulbs for the unit itself.  But, I also know that this route will generate more heat.

my aim is making the most efficient self contained FC + light combo that can be moved around at will,  have "stealthy" appearance and work..  A room in a box, or at least as close to it as possible.

I still have a few days before my AA 1925x sterilizer is delivered. Not to mention the innoc to spawn period.  So, I still have time to finalize my decision on how I am going to build this FC.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (05/15/09 08:55 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10342590 - 05/15/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It would work better if you'd get a clear container and put the lights outside.  I know LEDs don't put out much heat, but you've got a LOT of them inside a small chamber.

I just ordered 500 feet of LED rope lights at 6,500K for my underground grow cave.  I also ordered a few of the PAR 45 LED floodlights.  I'm going to attempt the whole commercial grow op on LED, so it can be powered from my solar panels.  As far as I know, mine will be the first commercial edible mushroom farm on LED lighting exclusively.  I hope it doesn't flop.  They cost over $2K.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10342698 - 05/15/09 09:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, the true led rope lights are quite expensive.  I looked at a 15 foot one before buying this mini light rope, and for 15' it was about $120, compared to this 24' for about $20.  I realize that the quality and output of the LED's are much better and color temp accurate.  But I can't justify spending that... yet...

Good luck with your LED cave venture, hopefully treading on this new ground rewards you well

also, a clear container is something I am trying to avoid if possible.  My apartment has limited available space, and don't want my anxiety to kick in worrying if family/friends would be biased about my hobby.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10351980 - 05/17/09 06:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

if you used a fluorescent fixture, you would want the part facing in sealed so no humidity gets in.  You could have a couple computer fans cooling the lights so they don't overheat your grow.  You could also keep the temperature a few degrees lower in the room...

i would expect that to work if done correctly as fluorescent lights don't make too much heat.

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: FC Lid - Lighting Theory (alpha version) (moved) [Re: RedDevil420]
    #10352023 - 05/17/09 06:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RedDevil420 said:
if you used a fluorescent fixture, you would want the part facing in sealed so no humidity gets in.  You could have a couple computer fans cooling the lights so they don't overheat your grow.  You could also keep the temperature a few degrees lower in the room...

i would expect that to work if done correctly as fluorescent lights don't make too much heat.

The bulbs do get warm, but nothing like the ballasts
With fluorescents the real heat comes from the ballasts area, so if one were to try and cool it you would want it there on the end (only problem is the short ones have ballasts close together in a small area) perhaps a heat sink if one could work one in there, that way you don't have to worry about fans frying. Now depending on the light system, one could probably mount it part way in the lid, to try and deal with some of the extra heat. Sealing it off from humidity is a good point if one goes that route with those fluorescents. I like enclosed led's though, one doesn't have to worry about heat or electrical shock nearly as much.

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10352029 - 05/17/09 06:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It would work better if you'd get a clear container and put the lights outside.  I know LEDs don't put out much heat, but you've got a LOT of them inside a small chamber.

I just ordered 500 feet of LED rope lights at 6,500K for my underground grow cave.  I also ordered a few of the PAR 45 LED floodlights.  I'm going to attempt the whole commercial grow op on LED, so it can be powered from my solar panels.  As far as I know, mine will be the first commercial edible mushroom farm on LED lighting exclusively.  I hope it doesn't flop.  They cost over $2K.
RR

Yay par 45's.

Im surprised the music venue i work in hasnt ditched  par 64 lamps which take 1000K bulbs. 24 1000K bulbs in favour of LED cans. Not  a big place 350 capacity, so needles to say our stage gets hot.

It may be costly, but the electricity the venue would save would more than make up for it, not to mention replacing halogen lamps. the only have a life of 300h. $30 dollers each too.

Im sure your mushroom cave will do great. LEDS are really starting to get good.

I might just even get myself an LED light bulb to see how it compares.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures