Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10353207 - 05/17/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Whoop-de-fucking-doo?  :lol:  Nice expression of emotion you've got goin' on there.

If only you could have heard the specific intonations it would have had if I had been able to speak it. :wink:

Quote:

I never said that because these were created by a mind, all complexity was created by a mind.

I didn't say you did. I was referring to your original statement that ID theory would say that it was the product of a mind, and not natural forces.

Quote:

Your other examples are poor analogies.

I don't see how they were. In advance of any explanation as to why you think they are poor analogies, which would be necessary to actually discuss the idea of them being poor analogies, I'd like to say that, from what I've gathered regarding earlier civilizations of humans and how they judged matters like these, things like hurricanes, storms, and other devastating, complex phenomenons that we currently tend to refer to as being natural were, in fact, personified and interpreted as having specific intent.

I simply highlighted a couple of examples of complex phenomenons that we think are natural phenomenons, whereas I could have, in just the same manner, thought ahead to include pictures of totem poles, Easter Island statues, cathedrals, and Stonehenge.

Quote:

The question remains, would we posit these were created by a mind or natural forces?

I personally suspect that they were created by a mind that was utilizing natural forces. Asking if they were created by either/or is a trick question.
I accept donations of mushrooms. :tripping2:

Quote:

Why would we assume design in these crop circles and not natural forces?

Because we've developed the ability to presume that we know how to discern the difference? :shrug:

I personally wouldn't go so far as to assume that all crop circles have a mind behind them as a creator.... the Sun and electromagnetism can be some pretty wild phenomenons...

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleelbisivni
    #10354059 - 05/17/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Are you hallucinating?  None of the replies I've read have dodged your question, it seems to me that you're just trying to move your topic in a new direction because the original got beaten into the ground FAST.

9 posts in succession telling people they don't get it, maybe they aren't the ones that don't get it.  And you're claiming you're not trying to link this with ID?  Give me a break.  This thread has been epic though, thanks for starting it.

Please, get to your point already.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #10354261 - 05/17/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Yes, some people have admitted to making the circles, but some still argue there is evidence against it.

Is this related to the point you're trying to make?
Meaning, do you want, with this thread, to discover whether or not ALL the crop circles are made by men? If not, what's the purpose of this thread?
Its just that I find it funny that even the title of the thread contains "intelligent design" in it, but you still say that it has nothing to do with it. :sherlock:

Quote:

As I said to John, I'm not discussing intelligent design in this thread.  I only want to know if you thought a mind was behind their creation or natural forces were.

Without anyone stepping up and admitting they created these would you have thought they were the result of natural forces or made by a mind?

Just for the sake of the argument, yes, I would be inclined to think that a mind (human, by the best guess) is behind the crop circle phenomenon.
At the risk of repeating myself, what are you trying to hint here? I fail to see the philosophical content in simply making a thread that asks people if they think crop circles were made by people or not.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10354464 - 05/17/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, of course we'd hypothesis that the crop circles were created by a mind, MM, because we have a good idea who they are: humans. This explanation is better than any that just uses naturalistic causes.

Now if you're going to try and draw a link between this and Intelligent Design, I'd like to remind you that without any other evidence that God exists, it's hard to hypothesise that He created things. This is completely different to crop circles where we can easily hypothesise a creator, because, you know, there's 6 billion of them on the planet.

There's a reason no one suggested that God made the crop circles :smirk:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #10365033 - 05/19/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So is a honeycomb design or nature... ?

What is mind ?

And what's its difference to nature ?

Someone said g*d imprinted/fundamented g*d's' design at big-bang time.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #10365127 - 05/19/09 04:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

What the hell is this thread even doing in this forum?  :facepalm:

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #10365413 - 05/19/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is called the fallacy of wearing your opponent down. In short, start 5 or 6 threads on basically the same subject and throw a tantrum when not every one of your redundant points is addressed equally in all threads.

Philosophy students should know better than to use such a tactic unless they are doing it deliberately, in which case it is intellectual dishonesty and not mere oversite or ignorance.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10365988 - 05/19/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
It is called the fallacy of wearing your opponent down. In short, start 5 or 6 threads on basically the same subject and throw a tantrum when not every one of your redundant points is addressed equally in all threads.

Philosophy students should know better than to use such a tactic unless they are doing it deliberately, in which case it is intellectual dishonesty and not mere oversite or ignorance.

I know math isn't your strong suit, but if you check the record at least 3 other threads were started by others.  And for me, I've been picking mushrooms.  :shrug:

Nominated for picture of the month by the moderator of the contest:

Total morels, 1,565, total weight 27 lbs. 13.7 oz.

And I'm going out picking tomorrow too.

:wave:

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#10367259 - 05/19/09 10:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

personally i remain highly unconvinced that crop circles actually exist in any form other than human-created

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: deimya]
    #10375114 - 05/21/09 08:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deimya said:
Because there's a loaded social and cultural context surrounding them. Because there's a record of many people discussing about them profusely, hoaxers, debunkers, scientists and lay persons. Because many of us have run through crop fields and played with long grasses.

Actually no, the first recorded crop circle was in 1678.  Long before there were debunkers or scientists or a social or cultural context, yet it was recognized as design.

What I'm driving at is this.  Design is assumed when two criteria are met: an improbable object and a recognizable pattern.

Consider these objects I found in the forest last year.

This was the first time I had seen such a thing in the forest (or elsewhere).  I immediately assumed design based on improbability and the recognizable pattern.

What would you assume?

All the parts of the object(s) were natural, even found in the area.

The point is that we recognize design when we see it.  Design being defined as a product of a mind.  There is no magic or hidden motive in the thread.  I just wanted to make the obvious, obvious.  In fact, the only thing that will hold us back from recognizing or admitting design seems to be theological prejudice.

What a pity.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #10375137 - 05/21/09 09:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:

Quote:

Your other examples are poor analogies.

I don't see how they were. In advance of any explanation as to why you think they are poor analogies, which would be necessary to actually discuss the idea of them being poor analogies, I'd like to say that, from what I've gathered regarding earlier civilizations of humans and how they judged matters like these, things like hurricanes, storms, and other devastating, complex phenomenons that we currently tend to refer to as being natural were, in fact, personified and interpreted as having specific intent.

They are poor analogies because they don't meet the criteria of an improbable object with a recognizable pattern.  We are not talking about primative people here.  We're talking about you and me and this social context. 

In the post directly above this one would you assume design or natural forces?

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10375152 - 05/21/09 09:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:

Just for the sake of the argument, yes, I would be inclined to think that a mind (human, by the best guess) is behind the crop circle phenomenon.
At the risk of repeating myself, what are you trying to hint here? I fail to see the philosophical content in simply making a thread that asks people if they think crop circles were made by people or not.

Thank you.  I made my point two posts back to deimya.

Design is assumed when two criteria are met: an improbable object and a recognizable pattern.  The point is that we recognize design when we see it.  Design being defined as a product of a mind.  There is no magic or hidden motive in the thread.  I just wanted to make the obvious, obvious.  In fact, the only thing that will hold us back from recognizing or admitting design seems to be theological prejudice.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: zouden]
    #10375178 - 05/21/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:

There's a reason no one suggested that God made the crop circles :smirk:

You can take the smirk off you face now.  The first crop circle was attributed to the Devil.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #10375198 - 05/21/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:

What is mind ?

And what's its difference to nature ?

The topic of a different thread.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #10375678 - 05/21/09 11:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Design is assumed when two criteria are met: an improbable object and a recognizable pattern.  The point is that we recognize design when we see it.  Design being defined as a product of a mind.  There is no magic or hidden motive in the thread.  I just wanted to make the obvious, obvious.  In fact, the only thing that will hold us back from recognizing or admitting design seems to be theological prejudice.

So, the toast with Jesus face on it is designed? Also, did Al Bundy create Elvis when he sweated him?

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10375724 - 05/21/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

So, the toast with Jesus face on it is designed? Also, did Al Bundy create Elvis when he sweated him?

I don't know about Bundy and Elvis but I wouldn't conclude Jesus on a piece of toast to be designed.  Would you?  The difference would be in the recognizable pattern.

Did it look like this:

or this:

or this:

Which of those would you say are designed?

--------------------

Invisibledeimya
tofu and monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: ausländer.ch
    #10376851 - 05/21/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

They contrast with what you feel of the surrounding organic feeling the forest gives.

If the forest is a cell, you would simply see the flagella as a tree, and not a crop circle, and so you would any other organelle for that matter. They would disappear in and as a cloud of leaves in the wind, as a flock of birds or crawling insects, rather than appear as a crop circle in a still forest, or a writing in the sand.

It is a very busy, very windy neighbourhood down there, a forest in a tropical storm during the mating season.

By focusing on the crop circle you miss the greater dance of contingency and necessity that goes on on our pale blue earth.

In the 17th century it was the devil, now it's UFO and pranksters. Both are mirrors of their time.

Edited by deimya (05/21/09 03:10 PM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10377079 - 05/21/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
The point is that we recognize design when we see it.  Design being defined as a product of a mind.  There is no magic or hidden motive in the thread.  I just wanted to make the obvious, obvious.  In fact, the only thing that will hold us back from recognizing or admitting design seems to be theological prejudice.

What a pity.

Theological prejudice? You mean, lack of belief that an invisible man lives in the sky and made everything one particularly busy week? Come on. If anything it's the other way around: your theological prejudice causes you to want to find design.

Dembski's basic premise is fundamentally flawed. He assumes you can infer design simply by examining an object, without considering the nature of the designer. This is quite clearly ridiculous. Any inference which doesn't take into account the likelihood of such a designer existing is going to be pretty useless. You don't get CSI inferring that the murderer must be able to teleport, do you?

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: deimya]
    #10378553 - 05/21/09 08:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deimya said:
They contrast with what you feel of the surrounding organic feeling the forest gives.

Yes, they do.  However I would recognize the design and the improbability with or without the surroundings.  Wouldn't you?

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Crop circles, intelligent design? [Re: zouden]
    #10378575 - 05/21/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

What a pity.

Theological prejudice? You mean, lack of belief that an invisible man lives in the sky and made everything one particularly busy week? Come on. If anything it's the other way around: your theological prejudice causes you to want to find design.

Why you're absolutely correct.  Without my belief in an invisible man in the sky I couldn't tell which toast had Jesus in it.  Here's a clue: it's not the last one.  As Kenneth Miller would say, "Just tryin' to help."  :smirk:

This is good enough I'll repeat it.  If design isn't falsifiable, how was Darwin's theory accepted as proof of lack of it?  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract