Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

the old myc/cobweb story
    #1033096 - 11/07/02 03:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sorry. I put this in the contam forum but responses are always better here:

I know there are like a million post about cob-web mold. Is the basic gist of it... just wait it out and see what happens or are there any signs that would just tell you. Also I have read alot about smell-tests. Do people open the jars to do this? Won't that invite unwanted contams in? Or is the mushroom smell and the ever dreaded contam smell so potent it can be smelled through the jar or peeling the tape off one of the holes?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: the old myc/cobweb story [Re: thisone]
    #1033114 - 11/07/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well i can tell you cobwebs look like almost like vines and they are grey and they grow really fast from what i hear. if you see a cloud and like little tiny hairs and its growing at a rather normal pace (not like RAPID everywhere in a matter of a couple days) than that is mycelium, i had a question pertaining to this and my jars have been growing since and is obvious mycelium. im not as experienced as some people in this forum, but it might be likely that they wont respond to you or tell you to look in the faq's or other posts. i had a post on this and had some responses, but you never know what responses you will get. but if my info can be any help im glad to share it with you.

--------------------
What?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: the old myc/cobweb story [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1033122 - 11/07/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey. I want you to know that I really apreciate your post. It's nice to see that someone wants to take the time to help with what many would dismiss as a stupid newbie question.

I have heard about some strains (including maz) that are rhizomorphic which I think looks like vines. Is there any key difference between a rhizo looking strain and cobweb or are they pretty similar. How's the grow going?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1033124 - 11/07/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Cobweb grows REAL fast, once it starts, I've found that it takes over jars within a week, IME. Mycelium starts out looking like cobweb sometimes, but once it gets more established, it gets thicker white, and starts fanning out. Cobweb will look more like, well a cobweb grew over your cake. Its never smart to smell contaminants, but if you were to get a little wiff, it may smell sweet, with a hint of old permanent marker, (but I may just have a really weird sense of smell, sorry.)
Hope this helped

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1033128 - 11/07/02 03:34 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Rhizos and cobweb look and grow COMPLETELY different. Except, sometimes when the mycelium first grows after germination, it may be hard to distinguish.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: the old myc/cobweb story [Re: Skikid16]
    #1033132 - 11/07/02 03:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

They are just starting to grow so that's why it's hard to know. How do rhizos and the vines of cobweb differ?

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1033144 - 11/07/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not really up to date with my mycology vocab, sorry, and I'm a little out of it today, so sorry if this doesn't sound real intelligent. When a spore germinate and the mycelium starts to form I have found that it looks a little greyish, but it usually starts from the inoculation spots. Within a day or two of seeing the growth it usually turns into a bright white and looks like there are hundreds of thin white threads growing out, 360 degrees from the spot that the growth started. Cobweb, on the other hand remains a greyish cloud, that engulfs your substrate.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033158 - 11/07/02 03:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

that worries me a bit. My (what I thought to be, hopefully is) mycelium is staying kind of like a cloud. It is, however growing rather slow and I heard cobweb takes over. Are the little strands going out 360 degrees really noticicable or does that come later as it gets more established. I mean there's really not much yet maybe a dimes worth on one jar but it has been growing a bit each day. Also does if have to start from the 4 innoc sites. because some of the questionable mycelium seems to be in the little spaces between brf and verm near where I injected but kind of variated.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1033169 - 11/07/02 03:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well how long has it been since you noticed the growth, and at what temp are you keeping your jars at?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033175 - 11/07/02 03:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I noticed growth on the 3rd or 4th day. They are in an incubator at 82 to 86 degrees.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1033191 - 11/07/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, well what day is it now? What I meant when I asked you how long has it been was how long has it been since you seen the growth, not how long after inoculation did you see the growth. Sorry, I'm tired.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033201 - 11/07/02 04:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

no, no, my apologies. I'm at school just playing around. I saw the growth yesterday. Innoculation was last friday and saturday. I check them about 1nce a day to see what's happening. only 4 jars are showing anything the maz's. the other 8 mostly b+ a few maz have shown no growth. I had the ratio off. Sorry I'm rambling. Why do you ask?

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1033208 - 11/07/02 04:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Its probably mycelium, if it is, you will know in a couple of days. Good Luck, I think it's mycelium.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1037855 - 11/08/02 10:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

anytime man, if theres somethign ive had a little expeience with and can help out im more than willing to respond, cause some shit just isnt there! and i know what its like when people think your stupid naive and new and dont reply to your posts, but i think you know if we can get people to grow, they will take the shrooms, and we can all grow ourselves and kind of get away from the world today where people dont talk and communicate and are ignoring of one another, not pointing fingers to anyone im just saying. but yeah man my jars are sucking i wonder if its cause i check on them everyday, it sounds like your are like mine it will be three weeks this tuesday since i first innoculated. one jar has this nice pale cloud that is going all around it i flipped them last night and hoping maybe it will do something. some jars have these thick whitely opaque patches of mycelium growing. some of the patches are infected by a forest green mold. if they stall im going to toss into an outside patch. i dont like wasting things so why not you know? and i want to get some rye and spawn that. trying the honey water stuff now i think this will have better results. i think the main problem was my innoculation and not enough spores and nutrients for the spores to get a foothold and form a widespread network. but it seems me and you are on the same grounds, best of luck to the both of us.  :smile:

--------------------
What?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1038157 - 11/09/02 01:43 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"and i want to get some rye and spawn that"

Dude, if your BRF is contaminating you will have a hell of a time with grain. Oh and throw that jar with the "forrest green mold" out in the trash can. While you are at it throw the jars with the grey cloud out in the trash can as well.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
    #1038372 - 11/09/02 04:06 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

one thing ive nboticed thats almost a sure sign in all my cobweb mold cases (casings/jars) fermenting alcohol smell... its hard to miss, and usually is a sure sign of mold/copntam.

i recently moved some dirty dishes from my counter top and there was a baking dish that had a nice forest of mold in it, blues greens greyts whites reds pinks, a whole forest of mold, it was pretty freaky, cause it looked like a landscape from fantastic planet or something.

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: the old myc/cobweb story [Re: goatywoaty]
    #1038419 - 11/09/02 05:29 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

fermenting alcohol smell

This is much more likely a yeast than cobweb. Cobweb is a form of mildew and smells... well, like mildew... or an old musty basement. If you get a fermenting smell and cobweb, my guess is that you have more than one type of contamination growing at the same time.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemyco_holic
mycologicalexplorer
Loc: SoCal
Re: the old myc/cobweb story [Re: Seuss]
    #1038536 - 11/09/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you can tell just by your post that your cakes are done....Lose all hope...give up now....j/k anyways throw those funky jars before it contams others.....oh yeah the smell is more like a sweaty socks wiped on armpits after wrestling practice....

--------------------
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Jack Handey.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1038596 - 11/09/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

see i dont think thats true. i cant support my infections by and piece of evidence, whether i get my rye to grow is more like gambling or playing the lottery than predictions from my last jars. the cloud in these jars i was told is not a problem. i dont see how i can infect my other jars if theres tape over the holes. i dont want to throw them out, i might add them to an outdoor patch or something. nature can kill my infection and wishfully make some shrooms. i know they are sucking but ive already gone this far im going to wait and see, and if they dont grow anymore i will toss them

--------------------
What?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1046146 - 11/12/02 11:49 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

a lot of people have written back using smell as a gauge for testing for contams. Are you able to smell the scents from outside the jar or do you open the jar to smell? Wouldn't this invite unwanted contams in?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom