Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

casings and cakes oh boy
    #1032864 - 11/07/02 02:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have been looking around and noticing that a lot of people do casings. Is this something that most people do after perfecting the pf tek. I have seen some peoples logs who started out with casing but I don't know if that's the way for me, being a newbie to go. Or should I maybe try both. What's the best way to go and the benefits of each. I have found a lot of shit talking about cakes.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaxtv
child of the sun
Re: casings and cakes oh boy [Re: thisone]
    #1032889 - 11/07/02 02:22 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

People usually start of with cakes because its alittle easier. When you case..your putting all your work into one thing and if it gets contams its done....thats why most wait till they master the pf tek or at least their sterilization procedures. But its not like its impossible....im doing a casing on my first try. Casings generally give you more yield then cakes. And in my opinion are easier to deal with.

--------------------
...remember...

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: casings and cakes oh boy [Re: axtv]
    #1032910 - 11/07/02 02:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the advice.

well, it only takes like 3 jars to case right? So, theoretically I could case three and keep the rest as cakes?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlineaxtv
child of the sun
    #1032944 - 11/07/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well i guess it depends on the size of the casing. But 3 sounds right. Thats what i did. Made a casing and kept 5 cakes incase the casing goes bad.

--------------------
...remember...

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1032959 - 11/07/02 02:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

awesome. What do you think is a good tek for this. I noticed there a lot of different mixtures. Are there any you would reccomend for a newbie that are perhaps a bit more forgiving?

--------------------

Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Loc: under the stars
    #1032969 - 11/07/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I started with cakes, did around 10 pf tek jars, and after 4 had colonized, i decided to use one and grate it up into a huge thing of horse poo. i still have a ton of cakes, and now a huge thing of poo that is nearly all the wya colonized after 48 hours. it was really easy, i just wiped everything down with alcohol and followed the directions....

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: casings and cakes oh boy [Re: trancefishy]
    #1032985 - 11/07/02 02:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think it might be hard to find horse poo where I live. All the garden places close up. I'm going to buy a shitload of vermiculite to stock up. Are there any specific teks anyone can reccomend?

--------------------

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1033009 - 11/07/02 02:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I liked starting out with cakes. You just pop 'em out into a container with moist perlite and watch them grow.

With a couple cakes, I tried putting moist vericulite on top, and saw how that affected fruiting. Later, I tried throwing some in the fridge to see if that induced pinning quicker. Some I dunked in water between flushes to try and increase yields.

For my first casing I took just two cakes, cut one in half horizontally, layed it in an aluminum loaf pan, then filled in the gaps with the crumbled second cake. Covered it all in peat + verm + crushed oyster shells. Nice big flushes!

Now sometimes I let cakes just go on their own, then throw them into some poo after their first flush. Tres fun!

So for some it's cool just to go direct to casings. But I enjoyed all the steps, and occassionally still throw a big ol' pint size cake in the chamber just to see that nostalgic birthday cake.

It's all good, I like to try everything (except drinking my own piss...yech!)

Peace!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: casings and cakes oh boy [Re: vildechayea]
    #1033023 - 11/07/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

what was that about the moist vermiculite on top of cakes?
I am going to try the dunk tek. Heard too many good things not to try.

--------------------

OfflineNewbie2000
Idiot:www.soby.us

#1033024 - 11/07/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I was told that after your jars colonize, you case them. What is "pf"? as you can see by my name, I am a newb. I thought I was supposed to case the cakes after colonization. Is there another way?

I will check the faq now.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1033030 - 11/07/02 02:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

me and kramer are new to the hobby and cased our first time out with plain 50/50 it worked well...also kramer has made a couple of 1 cake casings that fruited nice.they are mexi-cub and 1 of them is on the 4th flush still going stong too.casing seemed a like a lot less hassle than trying to fruit the cakes.athough i do not know which is better as kramer only has fruited casings.note: the addition of the oyster shells and hydrated lime make a huge difference.good luck

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1033032 - 11/07/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

To answer your question, there are lots of great teks around here.

Also some at Forest Floor:

http://www.theforestfloor.org/archives/

Later on, you can try Roadkill's Poo Tek. He's a great guy who still hangs around here!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=723303&Forum=Growlog&Words=horse%20poo%20tek&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=4&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=723303&Search=true#Post723303

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1033034 - 11/07/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This is a good tek, although it has been said to substitute calcium carbonate for hydrated lime.

http://www.thehawkseye.com/50-50casing.html

About you not being able to find poo, It can't be all that hard, even if you live in a big city, just take a short drive until you see some horse stables. It will be worth the money in gas, believe me. Most horse owners would be more than happy to let you shovel some shit, they have more then they know what to do with.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033044 - 11/07/02 02:59 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the links.

--------------------

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1033052 - 11/07/02 03:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Moist verm on top?

After PF created his ground-breaking tek, he started recommending a "double casing" add-on tek. You leave some verm from the top of your jar, which then becomes a vermy bottom when you flip them out during birth. You then put some moist verm on top of the cake. Pinheads tend to form more actively around the top and bottom of the cake, where the moist verm is.

Later PF started mentioning how some folks made holes in their cakes & inserted plastic straw sections (straw tek), filling them with water daily. Later, other people began just dunking the cakes overnite between flushes to keep them moist.

It's like a constant evolution.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033059 - 11/07/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Do you think if I am dunking that the extra verm will be uneccesary? If you think it helps do you just kind of plop it on there with your hands after soaking it?

--------------------

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1033079 - 11/07/02 03:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I kinda like a li'l verm on top. I just take a couple of teaspoons right out of the bag (with an alcohol shpritzed spoon) dump it on top, then just mist it 'til slightly moist. Sometimes I use old spore syringes to drop some water on top a day or two later. You can see the verm soak it up, you don't want it to pool. Then just scrape it + aborts etc off when you dunk after the flush.

I dunno, a spoon or two of verm makes a nice li'l hat for my cakes & they seem to like it.

But there's lots a people smarter than me around here!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033089 - 11/07/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

why do you think the extra verm helps? What are the benefits?

--------------------

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1033142 - 11/07/02 03:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think moist verm on top of a cake helps 'cause having a moist covering provides a readier source of water which is what shrooms are mostly made of. I've read other ideas concerning co2 retention and possible beneficial bacteria. You'll notice that most of your fruiting seems to emerge from the verm on top or underneath the cake.

If you take 2 or 3 or more cakes, put them together broken up or whole, and cover all the parts with verm, it's a casing. Later on, you can add peat moss to your verm, and lime or oyster shell to reduce the ph, or you can use coconut husks (coco coir) or other stuff. In my experience, casings yield more shrooms per cake.

After that, lots of folks seem to try bulk substrates...like using cakes orjars of mycelia-coated grains, tossing them into poo or compost, and making a huge sorta cake, which they then in turn case.

Ain't life grand?

Just follow the teks, read whatever you can, and folks here will help along the way.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1033147 - 11/07/02 03:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

cool cool. Thanks again for the help.

This may be silly but why don't people make a few layers of verm in the jar so it more mushrooms grow.

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1033155 - 11/07/02 03:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Layers of verm you say? Hmmmm...... I think you should try it with pint jars, See what happens, might have a little of a hard time colonizing through the layers just to get to more substrate, but I don't think it will be too bad, I thin you shrould try and see.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom