Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Anyone good with MS Access 2007?
    #10261108 - 04/30/09 08:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If so please let me know, I'm running into trouble trying to create a query, not too sure what to do.

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFunkadelicFlash
Ascension-Bound
Male

Re: Anyone good with MS Access 2007? [Re: Platinum]
    #10261116 - 04/30/09 08:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I dabble. What do you want your query to do? Gimme some details and you've got my help.

--------------------
I embrace my desire to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone good with MS Access 2007? [Re: FunkadelicFlash]
    #10261153 - 04/30/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK great, here's what I have so far.

The question I need to answer is this:
Based on gross sales, which grade has sold the most cookies? Identify the grade level and the collected income.

Ya know, I don't know if you're going to be able to answer this without looking at the data and seeing how it's all laid out.

If it's too much I understand. No worries if you can't help.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #10262430 - 04/30/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

What does access actually do?

I can do all that stuff in excell, so does access make it easier (excell seems very unintuitive to me) or maybe have a better interface or maybe standard "forms" or types of files that you can mix and match for desired results?

Just kinda curious since I've never used that program and your problem could be done in excell.

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone good with MS Access 2007? [Re: johnm214]
    #10262649 - 04/30/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

access is database software vs excel which is just spreadsheets. access is much more powerful. and its for a class, so i have to use access.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10262764 - 04/30/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

> What does access actually do?

It is a relational database with a GUI attached allowing people with minimal skills to write database applications.  Think of it as multiple excel spreadsheets that have logical relations to each other along with a GUI for data entry.  Not quite accurate, but gives you the idea.  Access is worthless software.  It is fine for a personal application, such as something to track your DVD collection, but idiots continue to use it for large projects where it craters miserably.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Anyone good with MS Access 2007? [Re: Seuss]
    #10262791 - 04/30/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well put. Doesn't change the fact that I am still being graded on this haha.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #10262851 - 04/30/09 02:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

> Doesn't change the fact that I am still being graded on this haha.

:frown:

That sucks.  Wish I could help you, but I avoid access and anything to do with it.

--------------------

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10262931 - 04/30/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No worries, I got 3/5 of the project done. 2 more parts to go, and it's due Monday by midnight so I have plenty of time. I can always go see my prof tomorrow. I just haven't been paying attention in class so I'm a little confused on 1 or 2 parts, mainly the logic behind what I'm trying to do. It's more how to accomplish it rather than the steps to accomplish it. I know how to use access, I'm just mainly having trouble deciphering what I need to do, and how to do it.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #10264015 - 04/30/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Platinum, sorry for the sidetalk, I'm just curious, do you mind?

Quote:

Seuss said:
> What does access actually do?

It is a relational database with a GUI attached allowing people with minimal skills to write database applications.  Think of it as multiple excel spreadsheets that have logical relations to each other along with a GUI for data entry.  Not quite accurate, but gives you the idea.  Access is worthless software.  It is fine for a personal application, such as something to track your DVD collection, but idiots continue to use it for large projects where it craters miserably.

Ok, that's what I was thinking from the headings and stuff. Like they'll write it up so it does "payroll" or similar things so all you have to do is enter your data?

When you say it is worthless, why?  Why does it crater?

Is it really like excell only predefined uses for each "page" where you enter the data and then you can string the pages together for complex results or analysis?  So link the schedule page with the pay scale page and the attendance tracker to yield hours and wages and then use the payroll page to calculate the witholdings and check?  Kinda the idea?

Seems like that's what is beind discussed.

What would you say is better to use instead of this for the complex things?  Would excell be better?  Just seems like if you invest the time to learn it it is perhaps more flexible and powerful than what your describing since its easy to alter the pages or string them together if need be to produce whatever you want. 

Seuss or anyone:  is there a spreadsheet software similar to excell that iis better in terms of functionality or usability/flexibility?  Other than more specialized science software that I've only used where neccesary, I'm not aware of any and was just wondering what was out there.  Being able to run on windows is a plus.

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10264043 - 04/30/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

no worries man. i got my answers i was looking for kind of. so feel free to talk about access or excel, no worries.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #10264529 - 04/30/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

> When you say it is worthless, why?  Why does it crater?

It was built with a single user desktop user in mind.  Microsoft wants you to buy mSQL for heavy duty database applications.  But because mSQL is so expensive, and a lot of people have Access with office, they try to use Access for heavy duty database applications.  The end result is crap.  It works fine in testing when there isn't much load or data, but once somebody gets roped into using it, the thing falls apart.

Beyond that, Access relies heavily on Visual BASIC, an outdated language that should have been left to rot long ago.  Billy (Gates) likes BASIC, so we are stuck with it.

Finally, because it is fairly easy to make simple applications with, many people feel that they are database experts after writing an Access app or two.  Kind of like me claiming to be ready to sit on the bench because I watched a few episodes of Law and Order.

Filemaker Pro is a decent alternative to Access, but has many of the same limitations with respect to size and what you can do with it.

> Would excell be better?

Excell is actually a decent tool (bleck, I feel dirty for saying such), but is not a relational database.  Access and Excel are two different tools to meet two different demands.  You might use Access to create a database for your DVD collection that allows you to look up movies by genre, or actor, or year released, or all action movies released in a certain year that had at least three stars but didn't have a certain actress; this type of relational searching is difficult, if not impossible, with Excel.

> is there a spreadsheet software similar to excell that iis better in terms of functionality or usability/flexibility?

Not really.  Microsoft has the monopoly there when they killed Borland's Quatro Pro (which was better, at the time).  Open office has a spreadsheet application, as does OS-X, part of iWorks.

>  Being able to run on windows is a plus.

Or a huge minus, depending upon how you look at it.  The reason you are stuck with Excell is because windows is more or less a mandatory requirement with Microsoft's monopoly in the OS market.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #10265502 - 04/30/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I learned the art of making pivot charts recently :shudder:

MSSQL is ok....the express edition (free!) did everything I needed it to do except for attach databases larger than 4 gigs....bastards

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
    #10323101 - 05/11/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:shrug: I use Access to locally log events and other application history.  Seems to work pretty well functionally.  However, I cannot speak on terms of efficiency.  As with most MS products, it probably isn't the greatest (to say the least).  All of our infrastructure is MS based (besides the main Oracle database), so might as well keep swimming WITH the current.  I'm no hero :wink:

As for using Access as a remote database being used heavily by multiple different sources?  People do that?

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale