Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU]
    #10312377 - 05/09/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sleep pill blamed for weird actions
May 10, 2009 - smh.com.au

THE controversial sleeping pill Stilnox is the No.1 drug reported to a national hotline for adverse side effects from drugs, new figures show.

Of 1669 calls made to the Adverse Medicine Events Line between September 2007 and February 2009, 12 per cent (196) related to Stilnox, making the drug by far the most reported medication.

The hotline, run by the National Prescribing Service and Brisbane's Mater Hospital, takes reports of adverse side effects from consumers and forwards them to the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

The next most reported drugs were the cervical cancer vaccine (HPV vaccine) with 29 calls (2 per cent), the cholesterol regulator Atorvastatin with 28 calls (2 per cent) and the smoking treatment Varenicline with 26 calls (2 per cent).

The figures come as a study linking Stilnox with sleeping behaviour was published in the Australia And New Zealand Journal Of Psychiatry last month.

The study, which examined 66 sleepwalkers being treated at a psychiatric clinic, found their abnormal behaviour was associated with the regular use of Stilnox. The pill was also linked to eating during sleep, with sleepwalkers more likely to be overweight or obese.

One Sydney woman in her early 30s, who asked not to be named, said she had been using Stilnox irregularly since it was released in Australia in 2000. She used the pills to help her sleep on planes, cope with jet lag or after partying on cocaine.

Two years ago, she took the pill to sleep on a flight from Europe, later finding photographs of herself partying with unknown passengers and smoking cigarettes.

A spokeswoman for Sanofi-aventis, the Australian manufacturer of Stilnox, blamed a media attention for prompting calls to the hotline.

"When taken in accordance with the consumer medicine information and the product information, Stilnox is an effective and well-tolerated short-term treatment for insomnia," she said.

(Stilnox is known in the US as Ambien)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: veggie]
    #10312399 - 05/09/09 11:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There have been a lot of articles on this before, but everytime I read it I can't help but laugh.  And, you have to love how the pharma companies act like this is normal.  "Our pills might make you sleep walk and eat til you're obese, but we have a pill for obesity too!"

--------------------

OfflinePolati
Learning Mycology
Male

#10312433 - 05/09/09 11:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

She used the pills to help her sleep on planes, cope with jet lag or after partying on cocaine.

Two years ago, she took the pill to sleep on a flight from Europe, later finding photographs of herself partying with unknown passengers and smoking cigarettes.

Ambien for me has been very safe. I believe the problems like sleepwalking and irregular behavior occur when people take them at irregular times. This gal took them on a plane, likely outside of her normal sleeping time. Also, she probably didn't get a full 8 hours of sleep, which Ambien really wants you to do.

I have been prescribed Ambien for 7 years now. When I first went on them I used to have to take them every day for 6 months straight. What a relief when I was finally off them. I rarely take them now.

OfflineOthyem
Male

Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: Polati]
    #10312481 - 05/09/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I can take large amounts of sleeping pills and not get the least bit tired. Ambien  do absolutely nothing for me nor did restoril. My wife gets really fucked up when she takes ambien regardless of when taken. Differing body chemistry I suppose.

Edited by Othyem (05/09/09 11:33 AM)

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: bbl337]
    #10312768 - 05/09/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bbl337 said:
There have been a lot of articles on this before, but everytime I read it I can't help but laugh.  And, you have to love how the pharma companies act like this is normal.  "Our pills might make you sleep walk and eat til you're obese, but we have a pill for obesity too!"

Thank you, you said it better than I could've.
This right here is the big reason why I get pissed whenever I hear someone bash medical marijuana. "Why do you need to smoke it, just wait until the drug companies figure out how to make it better."
No, it's fine the way it is, they'll just fuck it up. Look at Marinol and Sativex; neither work as well as plain old pot.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

InvisibleBirdsIView
Mr. Helms
 User Gallery
Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: buddhabadger]
    #10312829 - 05/09/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I find it hilarious when my friends who won't touch weed tell me they're gonna take a sleeping pill.

Offlinehockeyplyr1057
Music Lover
Male

Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: BirdsIView]
    #10315821 - 05/10/09 03:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BirdsIView said:
I find it hilarious when my friends who won't touch weed tell me they're gonna take a sleeping pill.

i find that trying to sleep after smoking weed is more difficult than taking a sleeping supplement (only have taken melatonin though and occasionally nightquil). my thoughts tend to race when i'm high and i can't fall asleep  :shrug:

maybe thats just me though

--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. -Gandalf

OfflineSilverSwami
Mystical Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: NSW
Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: hockeyplyr1057]
    #10317938 - 05/10/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

man these pills must have some fucked up chemicals to make u do things like that, sleep walking and stuff... why cant they just take the side effects outta pills? like they take the fat out of salad dressings, or how they take the life outta people? perhaps these side effects that one may experience is beneficial to Sanofi-aventis?

--------------------
Yes.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: SilverSwami]
    #10318022 - 05/10/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:smile2:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10318215 - 05/10/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

> She used the pills to help her sleep on planes, cope with jet lag or after partying on cocaine.

Mixing uppers and downers is never a good idea.  Gotta be the pill, not the other crap I am putting in my body... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedemonicaeroponic
Ghost
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep pill blamed for weird actions [AU] [Re: Seuss]
    #10319658 - 05/10/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I take Ambien, have been for three months. It's safe as fuck, makes me sleep, and the only time there is a problem is if you take it in the morning or shortly after having already had a full nights rest.

Also, I must agree Ambien insists on at LEAST 5 hours of sleep, 8 preferably.

Side effects occur when you mix it with alcohol, or take it intentionally wanting to get fucked up.

--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale