Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZielonaGora
Mastodon
Male

Loc: Oklahoma where the wind c...
Mushroom ID please
    #10307521 - 05/08/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to picking and need help identifying these fungi. They were all found in the same cluster on a dung cake. Please post only if you know for sure that you can identify it, or at least don't speak with certainty if you have doubts. I don't want to end up in the hospital because of bad info. Sorry for the cynicism but I needed to say it.

OK here are the pics:

...and here are the specs:

Habitat:

I found these little guys in a cow pasture in central Oklahoma. They were found growing on slightly aged dung (or so it appeared) a day after it rained and in near 100% humidity.

Gills:

The gills vary from very dark sooty brown in the older specimens to a light tan or khaki in the younger ones.

Stem:

Vary in length from 2 to 4 inches, have a diameter of up to 1/2 inch, light to dark tan in color; I can make out lines running up and down the stem;they aren't hollow but not too solid either: when split there are underlying layers of stem, almost onion-like.

Cap:

Diameter ranges from 1/2 - 2 inches; smooth with some splitting on the older specimens; color as of now (picked 40 hours ago)is light brown on the sides to darker, reddish-brown in the center; presence of zonates - some smaller ones show darker bands along the sides;

Spore print color:

I took two prints, one is older than the other: the oldest looks jet black to my eyes with possible slight tones of violet (although I may be mistaken), the younger print is gray-black.

Bruising:

I haven't noticed bruising. Certainly doesn't bruise blue, at least not to my eyes, but again, I'm new to picking fungi.

--------------------
''The killer awoke before dawn...he put his boots on...he took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.''

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Loc: Keta-Kosmos
Re: Mushroom ID please [Re: ZielonaGora]
    #10307547 - 05/08/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well this isnt a positive ID at all, but i like to take guesses at these ID requests, because im am still a noob myself and like to see how much ive actually learned. Based on the pictures and he spore print could this maybe be some dung growing Panaeolus Subalteatus?? im not sure because the stems are kind of thick for subbs. like i said just a guess tho.

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

OfflineZielonaGora
Mastodon
Male

Re: Mushroom ID please [Re: Engelsblut6]
    #10307581 - 05/08/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That is my first impression as well, however, will the absence of blue bruising rule out that it is a subbalteatus? Will it rule out that it is an active mushroom? Thanks for your post Engelsblut.

--------------------
''The killer awoke before dawn...he put his boots on...he took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.''

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

#10307588 - 05/08/09 10:55 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

will the absence of blue bruising rule out that it is a subbalteatus? Will it rule out that it is an active mushroom?

like i said im no expert, but no it does not rule out the possibility of it being active, not all subbs bruise blue. but like i said im not sure if ive ever seen subbs with that thick of stems, but on the other hand im more familliar with lawn growing subbs not dung subbs.

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
    #10307719 - 05/08/09 11:33 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Some sexy ass subbs.

Panaeolus cinctulus aka subbalteatus.

Nice find.

--------------------

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Re: Mushroom ID please [Re: landsnorkler]
    #10307780 - 05/08/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

cool thats what i thought. yea nice find man! keep it up.

--------------------

OfflineSomahunter
Stranger

#10307929 - 05/08/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

but they didnt bruise blue how are you sure theyre pan subbs?

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom ID please [Re: Somahunter]
    #10307949 - 05/08/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Subbs don't always bruise blue, in fact often they don't. 

Cap characteristics, banded margin, stem characteristics, black spore print, habitat.

--------------------

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

#10307964 - 05/08/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i guess he didnt see that Trusted Identifier tag. lol

--------------------

OfflineWoombleshamba
Sasquatch Hunter
 User Gallery

#10308088 - 05/08/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That bigger one looks like an agaricus to me

but yeah, the smaller ones with the rings look like subbs and the jet black prints make it hard to deny

if you haven't already, you should print them all, if the big one has a dark chocolate-almost black but not quite, then it's an agaricus. Jet black and it's one huge ass subb

--------------------
Don't go opening windows if you can't handle the breeze

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Re: Mushroom ID please [Re: Woombleshamba]
    #10308107 - 05/08/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

if you haven't already, you should print them all, if the big one has a dark chocolate-almost black but not quite, then it's an agaricus. Jet black and it's one huge ass subb

lol. so im not the only one who thought so.

--------------------

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #10308215 - 05/08/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is a big subb.  But I have seen them get that big.  It's not an Agaricus.

But it is always a good idea to print all of your mushrooms.:)

--------------------

OfflineZielonaGora
Mastodon
Male

#10309273 - 05/08/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I'll let you know tomorrow if they worked. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale