Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters
    #10305403 - 05/07/09 10:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have had good success with the bleach bath pasteurization method as described in GGMM.  Much of the success depends on being able to fully colonize a log/basket in 6 days because of the sterilization.  Stamets calls the method 'pasteurization' for which I assume that the concentration of bleach used doesn't kill everything, just everything compromising to mushroom growth, moreso than heat pasteurization.

If using straw the straw must be chopped very fine, pieces 1-2" and no longer, otherwise grain will not mix evenly enough and you will end up with uncolonized patches, which is not the end of the world as mostly colonized logs tend to still fruit after a little extra time even with spots of mold under the plastic.  If you are using plastic tubing 8"+ you will need to keep logs at or under 65F,  smaller logs can be colonized under 70F.  Heat buildup is a SERIOUS issue with this method.  Cottonseed hulls (primarily for gold oysters but great for all types) are nice because they mix very evenly.  I actually have a 8cu ft. electric concrete mixer in my basement that does a much better job than I ever could, just rinse it out well before and after use.  Hulls retain more water than straw which will cause greater microbial growth thus greater heat, so keep cottonseed hulls logs at 8" or less and at or under 65F.

I use 8 cups 6% hypochlorite bleach per 100gal of water in a 100gal stock tank.  I don't fill up all the way though.  Packing 100gal tank 2/3 with straw or using (2) 45lb bags of hulls will yield (4) 2 1/2ft x 11" logs and probably (5) 2 1/2" x 8" logs.  Weigh down straw/hulls with screen/steel fencing and concrete blocks on top.  Fill to the water is 1" above blocks.  Hose down the side so no straw/hull is unsubmerged.  Let soak for 4-12hours.  Pitchfork (clean) out the straw into clean tubs with drain holes.  A clean milkcrate works good to get hulls out of tank.  Rinse straw/hulls with hose a bit and let drain a few minutes so you are not working over bleach fumes.  Mix 1/2 bin of straw/hulls up with 1 6lb bag of grain spawn, so 2 bags per log.  Add 1 cup plaster of paris or ground drywall per 1/2 bin.  Pack, tie, and poke + holes as usual.  Pack the top end in a cone shape so that when hanging there is no empty space at the top from the weight of the log pulling down.  RR says not to hang while colonizing because too much water drains out from top but that's because he doesn't pack his logs tight enough, so pack them as tight as you can, use all your weight with your fist.

Be clean entire time and use alcoholed rubber gloves, wipe down table pitchfork, etc.  MAKE SURE TO POKE HOLES IN BOTTOM OF HANGING LOG TO LET EXCESS WATER DRAIN OUT!  I really enjoy this method as the alternative is either using lots of electric energy to heat up 100gal of water, or getting dirty outside building a wood pallet fire under 100gal tanks to heat pasteurize (try doing that at -10windchill in middle of winter,... I gave up).  Heat pasteurization you can only do 1 batch per 2 100gal tanks because 1 tank is for presoak and other is for hot water.  In the future when I am working with a produce company alongside restaurant sales I can crank things out with the 4 tanks I have.  4 tanks = 28lbs king oysters per tank (7lbs per log) = 112lbs mushrooms per run, which would take probably 6 total work hours or less with 2 people at it and all day alone.  And thats just first flush.

That is all, I spared no detail.

Peace!

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10305691 - 05/07/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks!!!! I was just going to ask you to explain this!!!

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters [Re: Grzyby]
    #10305827 - 05/08/09 12:13 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Great writeup!

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #10307598 - 05/08/09 10:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Something to add that I found out last night... the jars/bags you use for the bleached sub need to be as clean and close to genetic origins as possible.  Looks like I am throwing out 2-3 logs that didn't fully colonized and molded because they are from 4th or 5th grain transfer (shit I can't even remember).  I have been doing bag to bag g2g transfers, which is a little cumbersome but has been working in the past.  Just too much crap between that many transfers gets in though with bag to bag so I am going back to jar2jar2bag2log and then restarting.  If it were pasteurized there would most likely be no problem, yet things would begin failing eventually over more transfers.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Offlineobi
Du Bois
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europa
Re: Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10307629 - 05/08/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

How do you dispose of the bleach water? just dump it somewhere?

Thanks for the detailed post. :thumbup:

--------------------
To live is to fly

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Bleach bath pasteurization for oysters [Re: obi]
    #10308212 - 05/08/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Whatever is left in the tank I use a portable sump pump to get out and pump to one of my basement sumps, which in turn pumps it outside and into the tree line.  The concentration is so low that it doesn't hurt trees/grass etc.  I wouldn't recommend pumping it into your garden or anything you will eat in the near future.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale