Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Final Name Change Poll! (we swear) [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10310256 - 05/08/09 09:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

My goal is to become a better person by being shown how and why I am wrong, while trying to do the same for others.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesterbeklang
w/e
Male

Loc: Filthy Rock
Re: Final Name Change Poll! (we swear) [Re: deCypher]
    #10310713 - 05/08/09 11:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Vote early.
Vote often.

edit:  the word/world "Philosophy" is limitless.  why use any extra words?  just philosophize.

:gong:

--------------------

Edited by sterbeklang (05/08/09 11:09 PM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Final Name Change Poll! (we swear) [Re: xFrockx]
    #10310768 - 05/08/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I look forward to discussions with you.

--------------------

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#10310845 - 05/08/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I gotta agree with xFrockx here..

The term philosophy is quite adequate for starting discussions or debates on any topic of any given science.
As psychology can be openly debated and criticized , i see adding the same term to the overall tone of the forum as nothing but showing a bias of the majority towards the credibility of the science.

Pretty soon comments pointing out the name of the board will quiet down the critical attacks towards this , by many thought - fraudulent , theoretical science.
Especially for new members.
To be completely honest.. if  i was a new member and spotted this section of the forum with that title , I would probably shy away from challenging peoples beliefs about it , the same way many of you would do when you see a thread in M&P about aliens or 2012.

You just look at it.. maybe laugh.. and go look at something else thinking how these pour fools will never wake up from their psychosis.
You back away from challenging their beliefs and even if you did, the posters will simply remind of two words.
Mysticism and Paranormal >> fuck off. Let us be.. go to P&S.

Im pretty sure that rings a bell for a number of you out there reading this and i hope it is understood for which reason i am making this comparison in the first place.

For people that claim to study the mind and behavior (psychology) and are willing to engage in philosophical debates on the subject and have their views challenged ,it seems very contradictory to even request such a title for this section of the forum.

To make myself a bit more clear i see the term spirituality to be misleading as well.

I see no other possible reason to strive for this title , no matter how eloquently you decide to LIE about it... other than a pure desire to quiet down those that think differently >> and as long as the forum has the word philosophy in it , i see this change as being very biased and unintelligent to say the least.

Im not even a big reader like some of the minds here.
I like this section because i can state my opinion clearly no matter what is being discussed and because i have a very unique opportunity to learn from those that will do the same in response and i dont have to worry too much whether or not i have a degree in philosophy.
To question what i perceive works fine enough and to doubt your pseudo wisdom presentation.
To bash on you book reading ,regurgitating fucks ! :smile:

Anybody can take a course or read a book.
Its when you put all that bullshit together and formulate your own theories that defy the gravity of conventional thinking  that you get fiery comments and interesting discussions.

Ive seen a lot of objections and complaints about personalisms lately.. but truth be told they wouldnt really happen unless we had the proper arsenal to challenge and shatter other posters ideas.
When you look past the uncalled for name calling and subtle provoking ... its nice to see some actual emotion.
Its nice to see that reaction sometimes.
Its nice to react like that sometimes too..
When you come back.. you're back with more ammo !

:smile:

Its called philosophy and spirituality.
The spirituality is openly criticized and even mocked in many situations.
Any regular here knows that the forum is all about philosophy.
Its all about arguing opinions no matter where they come from.

Unless you're all bored with seeing the same two words a lot.. i really dont see a reason for any major change.

:peace:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Final Name Change Poll! (we swear) [Re: jivJaN]
    #10311077 - 05/09/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jivJaN said:
Its called philosophy and spirituality.
The spirituality is openly criticized and even mocked in many situations.
Any regular here knows that the forum is all about philosophy.
Its all about arguing opinions no matter where they come from.

Exactly.  The purpose of the name change would be to more accurately reflect what's being discussed, and this is why Spirituality had been voted out of the name of the forum.  'Philosophy' by itself honestly could cover much of the discussion here; I'm just interested in clarifying the nature of the title to better reflect the kind of critical debate that has been taking place.

Besides which, I've always thought that the categories of Mysticism and Spirituality have some considerable overlap.  How can one precisely delineate the two?  It'd be better to lump all theories spiritual (i.e. that accept as a premise the basic ontology that spiritual things exist) with all theories mystical, and let any critical debate between fundamental spiritualists and hardcore skeptics take place in this forum under the designation of Ontology, which is a sub-field of Philosophy.  Either way, having Spirituality in the forum name is redundant if M&P already covers belief on faith and on other methods that cannot hold to the razor-sharp skeptic's eye; besides the discussion is far more tolerant over there to differently-minded spiritual seekers than it is over here.

Quote:

jivJaN said:
Unless you're all bored with seeing the same two words a lot.. i really dont see a reason for any major change

Fundamentally monotony and stagnation are always at the root of change; I also think that removing Spirituality from the title and subsuming it under Philosophy as ontology helps to further clarify the skeptical nature of this forum.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#10311113 - 05/09/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The forum is only skeptical because skeptics were allowed to run roughshod over the spiritually inclined.  It's no surprise that the oldest regular here is a skeptic.  It has produced some peace though (much to some skeptics dismay).  When I was modding I read approx. 200 posts a day, every day.  The traffic today is much lighter.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10311154 - 05/09/09 01:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm actually favoring Philosophy right now over Philosophy, Sociology, and Psychology.  If we're going to subsume spiritual debate under the title Philosophy, why not do the same for sociology and psychology if both are fields that also pertain heavily to philosophy?

The love of wisdom should be ubiquitous no matter where it draws its source from: science just as much as spirituality.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#10311177 - 05/09/09 01:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That is true.

Just keep the logical positivist freaks out of here and I'm ok.  :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10311180 - 05/09/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Im pretty new here so my comment probably don't pull weight.  Mainly because I haven't seen the discussions over time that go on in the forums.

I first drifted into this philosophy & spirituality because they both sparked my interest, they are both related, and I liked the fact this forum seemed active.

Psychology to me seems like it could fit in with mental side of the physical & mental well-bring forum.  Mental well being is just people looking for or suggesting psychology, spirituality, or philosophy put into action right?

I honestly thing the current title is fine, and it seems like the arguments using philosophy as their guiding force, are pushing out spirituality.

edited to add: maybe there should have been an option for Philosophy & Spirituality om the poll.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (05/09/09 01:25 AM)

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#10311182 - 05/09/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
I'm actually favoring Philosophy right now over Philosophy, Sociology, and Psychology.  If we're going to subsume spiritual debate under the title Philosophy, why not do the same for sociology and psychology if both are fields that also pertain heavily to philosophy?

The love of wisdom should be ubiquitous no matter where it draws its source from: science just as much as spirituality.

Thats exactly what im saying.

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10311186 - 05/09/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Would you count Wittgenstein as a logical positivist?

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#10311192 - 05/09/09 01:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Absolutely.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10311215 - 05/09/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
Psychology to me seems like it could fit in with mental side of the physical & mental well-bring forum.  Mental well being is just people looking for or suggesting psychology, spirituality, or philosophy put into action right?

Yeah, but that forum is more dedicated towards solving other people's personal health problems, be they mental or physical.  This forum should be for the intellectual discussion of ideas, not persons.

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
I honestly thing the current title is fine, and it seems like the arguments using philosophy as their guiding force, are pushing out spirituality.

Spirituality, in the sense that most believers take it to be, assumes the existence of spiritual things.  People who believe in this ontology would find a happy home in Mysticism & Paranormal since Mysticism according to its definition implies: "the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)."  Skeptics who disagree with this, or even philosophers who think the matter should be up for debate, will find their home in the already present, all-encompassing category of philosophy.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10311217 - 05/09/09 01:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
--Wittgenstein

If the essential verificationist principle of cognitive meaningfulness is how you're defining logical positivism, then by damn I'm a logical positivist.  :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10311287 - 05/09/09 02:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said: edited to add: maybe there should have been an option for Philosophy & Spirituality om the poll.

My bad.  Lest we not forget the conservative point of view, here's a poll to help determine whether, in fact, the name should be changed at all.  (I edited the OP to reflect this and gave a link here.)
Should P&S be renamed?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #10311637 - 05/09/09 05:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The poll's not working. :lol:

Anyways, I can hardly see how this would serve any purpose, since this option was included in the previous thread, and it didn't get much votes.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #10311661 - 05/09/09 05:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
Because calling things dumb is the pinnacle of rational debate.  Opinions are like assholes, and it looks like you've streched yours out pretty far.

It's really funny to see how people react to all kinds of words and put so much emotion in it.
If it makes it better for you, I can explain you WHY I thought what you said was stupid. It just sounded like nothing more than a childish threat, for the case in which the forum will have psychology in it's title, and how it'd "better not", or else you'll pull your free will card and make sure you ruin people's discussions.
:babyface:
THIS doesn't sound too mature and rational to me, but to each his own I guess.

If you don't like what I have to say about your ideas, feel free to ignore me. I don't have to change my opinions because you're suffering because of them.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisiblezen buddy
not a buddhist
Male User Gallery

#10311732 - 05/09/09 07:00 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology :thumbup:

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

#10311757 - 05/09/09 07:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like I did my job :smile:

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Re: Final Name Change Poll! (we swear) [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10311761 - 05/09/09 07:13 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You aren't worth my time.  Typical emotional female banter.  Putting subjective labels on things just because they "sound funny."  I got over that in kindergarten.

Edited by xFrockx (05/09/09 07:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder