Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpud420
Stranger
 User Gallery

My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats
    #10301680 - 05/07/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all.

Every time I take the lid off my terrarium to fan in clean air, I'm hit with an incredibly rotten smell. The smell however, seems to disappear as soon as I fan. There is only 1 cake in the terrarium, and since it actually hasn't pinned yet, I don't think its the cake that is contaminated. I suppose I'll briefly explain the steps I took to, eh, achieve this gastly smell.

I inoculated 5 jars (drinking glasses, since we have no fancy canning jars in this lame country), and incubated at 70 degrees. After about 2/3 weeks they were fully colonised, contam free but had not pinned. I grew impatient and took the best looking cake (small sexy one on the back left), dunked for 20 hours and rolled in vermiculite. Yum. Popped it into the terrarium 8 days ago to begin its magical journey.

It still has not pinned. Nor have the other jars.

Now let me tell you about my terrarium. It is a plastic storage box, sides are blacked out and I cut a hole in the lid so that light can enter from above. The hole is covered with cling film. There are NO holes punched in the box. I completely wiped it down before I used it, can't remember exactly what I used, something that kills 99% germs anyway. I use perlite to keep the terrarium humid and the levels range from 95-98% humidity. Temp ranges from 55-65. I know the temp is a bit low, but I was advised against using a heat lamp.

Now this may be a key factor, it may not, but the terrarium was prepared 1 week before inoculation took place. Why, you ask? Because I had it ready for the previous batch, but the previous batch got contaminated, so they got chucked, and now live at the bottom of some dumpster somewhere, probably sprouting a new breed of "fungal thrash mushrooms".
So the terrarium was idle for about 3 weeks without being fanned. I didn't bother to change the perlite because, (a) I figured it would be a waste and (b) I didn't have any perlite left.

I have taken the cake out of the terrarium and checked for contams. None visible. Still white and sexy, smells like heaven. The cake does not look or smell bad in any way what so ever. In fact if I were a cake I would marry this cake. I'd even let it take a dump on my chest but thats a story for another day.

Now, 1 last piece of information: I didn't notice the bad smell until 3-4 days ago. I also found one dead baby spider (about half a cm wide) sitting on top of the perlite. How it got there I will never know. I have interrogated it extensively, but to no avail.

So I'd like to have anybody's 2 cents on the matter. 20 and 50 cents are appreciated too because I could do with the money. I'm deadly serious. Cheers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: Spud420]
    #10301690 - 05/07/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Does your cake have a slimy or greasy appearance?

OfflineSpud420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: Brennus]
    #10301728 - 05/07/09 10:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No dude, like I said, the cake looks good enough to be my wife. She aint slimy or greasy, she takes care of her appearance.

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

#10301752 - 05/07/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

dump everything besides the cake and start over

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

OfflineMrHankyTheXmsPoo
Tripper
Male

Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: brand0n]
    #10301781 - 05/07/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with brand0n, but I am still a mushroom noob so I would wait for others to respond.  I definitly wouldnt risk the cake tho.  i just had 12 jars die from bacteria contamination :sad:

I have interrogated it extensively, but to no avail....lol

--------------------
If a firefighters business can go up in smoke, and a plumbers business can go down the drain, can a hooker get layed off?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10301821 - 05/07/09 10:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spud420 said:

Every time I take the lid off my terrarium to fan in clean air, I'm hit with an incredibly rotten smell.

Now let me tell you about my terrarium. It is a plastic storage box, sides are blacked out and I cut a hole in the lid so that light can enter from above. The hole is covered with cling film. There are NO holes punched in the box.

There's little left to the imagination why it stinks, which also happens to be why you have no pins.  Air exchange is the number ONE pinning trigger, and also the number ONE defense against contamination.  Why on earth would you want a sealed up terrarium?

Furthermore, light is a very important secondary pinning trigger, and blacking out the sides cuts down drastically on the amount of light your cakes get.  It seems you're going out of your way to create the worst possible environment.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10301922 - 05/07/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Dude if it smells that bad you should either use a new FC with fresh perlite and distilled water, or just clean out the one you have now. Stick the cake in the fridge while you prepare the FC.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: m00nshine]
    #10302016 - 05/07/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

www.mushroomvideos.com

click terrarium tek

also watch all 4 pf tek videos.

Make your fruiting chamber like that, and it will work

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #10302079 - 05/07/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
  It seems you're going out of your way to create the worst possible environment.
RR

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

OfflineSpud420
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10302096 - 05/07/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

There's little left to the imagination why it stinks, which also happens to be why you have no pins.  Air exchange is the number ONE pinning trigger, and also the number ONE defense against contamination.  Why on earth would you want a sealed up terrarium?

I read a post on this forum somewhere about using perlite in a terrarium. It said not to punch any holes in the sides, because then it would be harder to keep the chamber humid.

Anyways thanks guys for the replies, I'm gonna dump the perlite and re-clean the box. Drill a few holes in aswell for good measure.

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #10302106 - 05/07/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, drill a few small holes on every side of your FC, keep your perlite moist (but not saturated) and you'll be aiiiight.

cheers

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Invisiblecuddlebear
Free hugs
 User Gallery

#10302265 - 05/07/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spud420 said:
I read a post on this forum somewhere about using perlite in a terrarium. It said not to punch any holes in the sides, because then it would be harder to keep the chamber humid.

Anyways thanks guys for the replies, I'm gonna dump the perlite and re-clean the box. Drill a few holes in aswell for good measure.

People say a lot of things on these forums, be careful who you trust (use the search feature if in doubt and limit by 'trusted cultivator' and the past few years).

See what veda_sticks posted above, it's really good advice. You might want to follow a tek that is a proven method before starting again. Just a thought.

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:  Great reading for beginners

Offlinepuma119
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: mozartvicious]
    #10302274 - 05/07/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the shotgun FC has holes on all sides including the bottom.  This is for FAE and you have to make sure the fc is off the surface its sitting on so air from underneath can flow up through the bottom holes and wick moisture from the perlite and into the fc.  i was skeptical at first about it keeping humidity high, but it works. Otherwise, everyone wouldnt recommend it to everyone.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: cuddlebear]
    #10302286 - 05/07/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

theres such a vast amount of posts, and it can be hard to filter the crap from the good info. I still fall to mis information from time to time.

that kind of chamber design has been around for quite a while when we didnt know as much as we do now. they do work to some degree, but not as well as modern terrariiums now we no that Fresh air is so important.

Alot of teks and information that people have posted in the past has been from trying something, getting a few shrooms and calling it success.

If you use the right size of holes, it will remain humid will giving natural FAE. 1/4 inch holes like the tek says in that website, infact the holes even help with humidity. Its explained on RR's website. I really suggest reading it, it will reasure you on putting all those holes in it, explain why and its a bit of a science lesson.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (05/07/09 12:36 PM)

OfflineSpud420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My terrarium smells like a bag of dead cats [Re: cuddlebear]
    #10302910 - 05/07/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cuddlebear said:

People say a lot of things on these forums, be careful who you trust (use the search feature if in doubt and limit by 'trusted cultivator' and the past few years).

Thats the thing, I was almost positive it was RR who suggested it to somebody else in a different thread, so thats why I went ahead with it. I've clearly followed the wrong advice.

Sitting at a computer for hours on end trying to take in information, it's easy to get things confused. Especially when you're high. Really really high.

Just done a bit of searching on perlite in FC's and as it turns out, I have a shit load more water than is needed. The perlite is floating on about a 1/2 inch of water. Once again, clearly following the wrong advice!

Oh well, this is how we learn. At least my cake is safe.

Thanks all

Edited by Spud420 (05/07/09 02:36 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag