Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpinRat
But what does it mean?!
Male User Gallery

Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present...
    #10301053 - 05/07/09 06:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I want to make presents to give away to friends... a mini-monotub thats ready to fruit...

I had a small (300cc) jar of rye, about ye big:

(it's not actually this one, this jar has its own story, but that's for another post)

and some bulk material using large_dose recipe: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7953949/an/0/page/0

I cut a 2L plastic bottle in half, cut out 4 holes around the sides, covered them with mycropore type, and layered the grain and the bulk inside, closed and typed the bottle:

after a few days, it looked really promising:

and a week later it was fully colonized:

at that point i took the tape off and removed the cap:

here's a peak inside:

I misted and fanned a few times a day. Unfortunately, pining started mainly from the sides and not from the top as I had hoped.
So i decided to cut the bottle off and just let it fruit in my shotgun FC. it worked:

I ended up with a "bulk cake", instead of my planned "give-away-as-a-present mini-monotub", but I'm gonna try it again, this time I'll cover the sides to prevent side pining, and start applying fruiting conditions before the mycelium gets all the way to the top, so the coir bulk doubles as a casing layer.
I'll tell you now it went.
If anyone has any other advice on how to improve this, me, and aspecially my friends would be very grateful...
Till next time...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineburntout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

removed [Re: SpinRat]
    #10301138 - 05/07/09 07:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

removed

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I say is a lie! honestly! ... don't believe a word of it!

Edited by burntout (05/11/09 05:45 PM)

Offlinem08b08
BrainDead
Male

Loc: In The Fog
Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: burntout]
    #10301141 - 05/07/09 07:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yea its got to be opague ! or youre going to get some bottom pins

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: m08b08]
    #10301299 - 05/07/09 08:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've seen something like this.  They did it in a yogurt container.  Made some tiny ass shrooms, hah.  The one down side I'd say to this is the fact that giving this to someone is the same as saying straight to them "I grow magic mushrooms", so I wouldn't give it to anyone you don't know for sure is trustworthy.

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: m08b08]
    #10301320 - 05/07/09 08:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it is anything to do with light.  As your sub shrinks it creates a nice humid environment around the sides, perfect for pinning.  As said, by lining it with plastic it would pull the plastic in as it shrinks eliminating the gap.  I would also allow for more gas exchange.  I would make a couple of penny sized holes on the sides just above substrate level and fill them with polyfill.  I would also take the cap off and fill that with polyfill.

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: Duggstar]
    #10301366 - 05/07/09 08:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my first brf's were done similarly, but without casing and i put a plastic baggie over the top to keep in humidity. worked great until they got too big and tall for the baggie. never had to put them in an FC. they had a built in one. i used aluminum foil on the outside to help prevent side-pinning.

i like burntout's suggestion to keep plastic against the substrate and as it shrinks it pulls in and keep everything nice and tight. no air leaks and hunidity remains high. great idea. i have that setup with my oyster mushrooms in a bread bag. thin plastic hugs the straw substrate and shrinks right along with it as the colonixation and then maturity occur.

houdinihar

Offlineburntout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

removed [Re: Duggstar]
    #10301402 - 05/07/09 08:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

removed

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I say is a lie! honestly! ... don't believe a word of it!

Edited by burntout (05/11/09 05:46 PM)

InvisibleSpinRat
But what does it mean?!
Male User Gallery

#10301448 - 05/07/09 09:09 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Duggstar said:
Don't case, fully colonize, leave for 2-3 days to consolidate, and don't worry about Polly fill just colonized first before allowing FAE, then expose to indirect light 12/12.

I think the polyfill is more about keeping humidity in then keeping contaminates out.

Quote:

Put black bin liner / black plastic inside the bottle

I agree this would be the best way to prevent side pining. now I realy regret not using plastic bags to line the two 6L treys I used to bulk in a couple of days ago.

Offlinekingjames488
Stranger
    #10301485 - 05/07/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

neat idea.

I was kinda playin with the idea one time of making a closed 2L single grow thing.
not cutting it, pour in the sub and spwawn then cap it :P
cut open for harvest lol

but you def need something around the bottom, even some dark tape would prolly help a lot.

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: kingjames488]
    #10301518 - 05/07/09 09:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i would suggest some gorilla tape along the sides. :thumbup: its thicker than duck tape and wont let the light in. i made something similar to this but it was in a long pretzel container with a screw off lid and gorilla tape along the sides. polyfill in the sides, no maintenance expect for dunking for the second flush and the occasional mist, no casing layer.

think opaque plastic drink pitchers too :thumbup: wide mouth and easy fitting cap to make spawning easy. or you can get clear ones and put gorilla tape along the sides.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

InvisibleSpinRat
But what does it mean?!
Male User Gallery

Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: doze]
    #10301538 - 05/07/09 09:37 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well, actually, what made me come up with the idea was RR's first post on the Shroomery:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1410557#1410557

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: Bulk in a bottle...an idea for a present... [Re: SpinRat]
    #10301570 - 05/07/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

here's something to check out, if you haven't already seen it. you can just modify the size that you do it in, and instead of micropore tape tape and a fan use polyfil. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6696796

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10302196 - 05/07/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

burntout said:
Duggstar
Quote:

Duggstar said:
I don't think it is anything to do with light.  As your sub shrinks it creates a nice humid environment around the sides, perfect for pinning.  As said, by lining it with plastic it would pull the plastic in as it shrinks eliminating the gap.  I would also allow for more gas exchange.  I would make a couple of penny sized holes on the sides just above substrate level and fill them with polyfill.  I would also take the cap off and fill that with polyfill.

most important factors to initiate pinning

1) FAE (fresh air exchange)
2) Light
3) Humidity

In that order.

Once a substrate is fully colonized if it is not cased it is not susceptible to contaminates as it is quite hard for another organism / contaminate to get a foot hold. Myc will fight with any new organism and spores cannot germinate easily in a fully colonized substrate. Most contaminates come from badly prepared WBS / RYE / Substrate or from the casing layer.

Don't case, fully colonize, leave for 2-3 days to consolidate, and don't worry about Polly fill just colonized first before allowing FAE, then expose to indirect light 12/12.

This post is horribly wrong.  The most important factors to initiate pinning are,

1.  Full colonization of the substrate,
2.  Increase in air exchange,
3.  Steady rate of evaporation of moisture from the substrate,
4.  (When the above three triggers are active) light,

in that order.

The idea of the polyfill is to keep humidity in, not to keep contaminates out.

Side pinning has nothing to do with light.  Side pinning is caused by low humidity, so the best place for it to pin is going to be in the gap around the sides where humidity is highest.

Edited by Duggstar (05/07/09 12:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom