Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsychedelia56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Got my first contamination unfortunately
    #10301623 - 05/07/09 11:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys,

Well on my first time through I finally got my first contam.. 1 out of 8 jars ain't bad I think though.

It's the green forst mold, and I just have a couple of questions.

#1 - the jar itself is around 95% colonized. The contam doesn't seem very big yet and hasn't come in contact with the mycelium. Do you think there is a chance for the mycelium to "own" the contamination and to prevail the jar, or do you think it's a better chance for the mold to take over the jar?

#2 - I opened the jar (bad idea I realized afterwards) to smell it just to make sure. I didn't touch the mold or blow on it; I didn't see any of it come out of the jar. However do you think just opening it has spread some of the spores? I didn't really think about this until after I had done it, so if there's a chance for any of the spores to have come out please let me know.

Thanks guys :smile:

--------------------
[quote]Shad0w said:
A Bong is like the "fukit" of getting high...... You are smoking out of a bong for one reason. And one reason only. To get super high out of your mind.[/quote]

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Got my first contamination unfortunately [Re: psychedelia56]
    #10301719 - 05/07/09 12:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1) It's pretty unlikely. I've stashed contaminated PF Tek jars in a closet, forgotten about them, and come back to find in vitro fruits rotting in the jars. You're far better off starting over.

2) If you had a dry vermiculite barrier, it's probably no big deal.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10301720 - 05/07/09 12:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1: usually when a jar is contaminated and it shows itself, thats just what has sporolated and could be much further into the substrate. its possible that the mycelium could surround it and contain it. I had an oak ridge jar do the same and it covered the contamination up and it appeared to disapear then it fruited 3 flushes without it showing up again. That is the only time i have seen that happen. It might, it might not. But its safe to leave colinising to see what happens

2: opening the jar isnt a great, spores are microscopic, get disturbed and into the air very easily. Its possible, however your other jars have filters, so will be fine.

Have you got any pictures?

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinepsychedelia56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Got my first contamination unfortunately [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10301777 - 05/07/09 12:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I can take some pics when I get home today. It's definitely mold unfortunately, but for sure I'll get some pictures. It'll have moved further along by then as well so maybe we'll know better if it can take it over or not.

Also it seems like the contam came from the dry verm layer, not the inside. I'm not 100% sure about that of course, but that's how it seems. I'm thinking there were some mold spores on the verm and it started to colonize when the myc did. Also this jar only contammed recently.. I wasn't able to observe any contams until this morning.

--------------------
[quote]Shad0w said:
A Bong is like the "fukit" of getting high...... You are smoking out of a bong for one reason. And one reason only. To get super high out of your mind.[/quote]

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10301827 - 05/07/09 12:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

its probably not saveable if its noticably growing. My jar showed up a small spot on the bottom about 1-2cm in size it then got surrounded then disapeared, plus a few small spots at the top of the jar that was on the glass which turned to mush.

If it came from the dry verm layer, it either got moist, or the verm layer got disturbed and allowed contaminants to filter to your susbtrate. The dry verm layer is your contamination barrier and only works when it stays still. Also make sure that your dry verm layer fills right upto the top of your jar so thers not really much room for it too move.

I use micropore tape over the inoculation holes as a safeguard, ive successfully done pf tek without tape over the holes also and they worked fine.

Im going to be ditching the dry verm layer soon and just using micropore to see how that works out also. But with a different jar design, RTV silcone holes and a gas exchange hole in the centre with double layer of micropore on bottom and top of hole.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinepsychedelia56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Got my first contamination unfortunately [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10301977 - 05/07/09 01:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ahh okay. I guess I'll just shelve it for now and look at it in a few days to see if there's an possibility for redemption. Thanks for your advice.

That sounds interesting, let me know how that goes. I am thinking the same, might use some microspore tape instead of a dry verm layer. I just don't like the idea of a layer of "soil" sitting and collecting contaminants. I accidentally dropped one of my jars recently (not too far, maybe half a foot) and luckily it didn't contam - but if any mold spores were sitting on that dry verm layer I'm sure it would have.

--------------------
[quote]Shad0w said:

Offlinepsychedelia56
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10307197 - 05/08/09 10:53 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

OK, so far the jar is still growing like normal.. if I hadn't noticed the contam before the mycelium completely covered the jar I may not have noticed it at all.

It seems to be growing normally, which well I suppose is expected. Is it still possible the jar could overtake the contam? The mycelium seems to be surrounding it.

--------------------
[quote]Shad0w said:

OfflineNeedingAnswers
Stranger
    #12580992 - 05/17/10 08:29 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

ide like toknow as well if its still safe to fruit if it has overtakn the contamÉ

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation