Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleZanthius
Mean Alien
Male

Re: Is it possible to find the weight of the soul? [Re: mad_cow]
    #10296199 - 05/06/09 10:37 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mad_cow said:
A monitoring process running faster than your awareness would make it seem that you had simultaneous awareness.

I don't think so. The brain doesn't have serial processing like a computer, but rather a lot of parallel processing. When I see this computer screen, I perceive data from millions of photon receptors ( cone cells ) simultaneously. I also perceive data from my ears, and my skin. So I am definitely aware of more than one nerve cell simultaneously. Nerve conduction is also quite slow compared to metal wires.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemad_cow
He hates these cans!

Re: Is it possible to find the weight of the soul? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10296205 - 05/06/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

Poid said:
If someone gets blasted in the skull with shotgun, I know that they died instantly.

It is refreshing to see that you learned nothing from this thread. :rolleyes:

There have been very few, if any, facts in this thread.

Invisiblemad_cow
He hates these cans!

Re: Is it possible to find the weight of the soul? [Re: Zanthius]
    #10296226 - 05/06/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Zanthius said:
Quote:

mad_cow said:
A monitoring process running faster than your awareness would make it seem that you had simultaneous awareness.

I don't think so. The brain doesn't have serial processing like a computer, but rather a lot of parallel processing. When I see this computer screen, I perceive data from millions of photon receptors ( cone cells ) simultaneously. I also perceive data from my ears, and my skin. So I am definitely aware of more than one nerve cell simultaneously.

If everything was time multiplexed at a rate much higher than your awareness you would be under the impression that you are experiencing everything simultaneously. Like a CRT will light up one pixel at a time faster than your awareness and produce what you perceive to be a solid image.

InvisibleZanthius
Mean Alien
Male

Re: Is it possible to find the weight of the soul? [Re: mad_cow]
    #10296241 - 05/06/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mad_cow said:
If everything was time multiplexed at a rate much higher than your awareness you would be under the impression that you are experiencing everything simultaneously. Like a CRT will light up one pixel at a time faster than your awareness and produce what you perceive to be a solid image.

Yeah, but nerve conduction is MUCH slower than conduction in metal wires, and the brain doesn't have serial processing like a computer, but rather A LOT of parallel processing.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to find the weight of the soul? [Re: Zanthius]
    #10301184 - 05/07/09 07:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Poid, Orgone is referring to the fact that the body does not have non-local properties that we are aware of.

That is to say, when you shoot the head off a person, their toes do not die at the moment that the head is no longer connected to the body.

Severing the head will destroy the brain and lead a large gaping wound. This will do two things:

1) prevent signals from the brainstem reaching the heart muscles

2) prevent blood pumping up your neck from circulating back into your body.

these both ensure that

3) there is no replenishment of oxygenated haemoglobin

however, this does not magically kill all of the cells in the body.

All we 'know' when a body is decapitated, is that there is no known way of ensuring that the bloodstream can be replenished with oxygenated haemoglobin. thus we can conclude that all of the cells in the body will definately be dead sooner rather than later.

But they wont be dead until after there is trully no useable blood, because at this point the energy conversion processes will stop, and cells will not be able to do any maintenence on their body.

At any point after maintenence can no longer be sustained, environmental or internal forces may lead to the collapse of cells.

Orgone would say that this is when death occurs.

And I would agree, from certain accounts of 'death'.

But what is death, really?

I have found that the best technical definition of death is the point at which a system can no longer support a sustaining process.

The point at which we can no longer presume it may sustain itself.

And thus some people according to this definition would say that death occurs when the head comes off because at that point, although the body is not all dead, we can be guaranteed that it can no longer 'keep' itself alive and thus will stay alive purely due to accidentaly calm seas.

then others will say that with theoretical technology, you could keep a body alive when the head is shot off with a shotgun, provided that you got to the body within a very short time period.

Either way though, they would agree that the body is dead very soon after the decapitation, and whatever this point is, I would probably agree with.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]