Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing?
    #10296548 - 05/06/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I love psychedelics. I loved them the first time I did shrooms, and even though I had a semi-bad trip I tripped 7 days later.

School is getting quite stressful and I have kind of been depressed my whole life. Psychedelics gave me a new view on the world, but I still ended up going back to my old ways.

Then again, I'm no psychedelic veteran so I wonder should I go see a psychiatrist and put my tripping on hold (I'm sure they will give me some pills for some messed up disorder so I won't be able to trip).

I kind of want to take things into my own hands though, and dose a few times this summer to remember what it's like to have that happiness that recently left me due to the stress.

What do you guys think I should do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemad_cow
He hates these cans!

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: Angel_Above]
    #10296590 - 05/06/09 11:55 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Pills don't cure you. They are useful if you can't function. I always have some benzos around but I wouldn't take anti-depressants. Some way to alter your way of looking at things is a good option. There are lots of ways. Meditation and yoga can relieve stress. Therapy can help if you get a good one.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

Loc: .
. [Re: mad_cow]
    #10296606 - 05/06/09 11:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by oxalic32 (12/18/10 09:45 PM)

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#10296612 - 05/06/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I used to be quite depressed as well. I've seen psychiatrists and they didn't help at all, you can really see though them and realize that they just echo what they learned in school. They can cram pills down your throat but all that's going to do is give you a false sense of happiness and a dependency to an SSRI or something. You can see where I am going with this; I stopped going and started taking psychedelics. It was a choice for the better. They allow you to achieve a new perspective and along with that allow you to change your ways/feelings for the better. Its subjective and will give you a great deal of accomplishment and security in knowing yourself better and how to handle depression again if it should arise. Psychiatry is objective, and yeah it works (as it was designed) for everybody but so would putting everybody on a serotonin IV. The difference between the two is simply authenticity. This was my chosen path, I would recommend it but, ultimately, its up to you. Good luck with whatever you choose, I hope its for the better.

--------------------
A human race with more highly developed spiritual capacities, with expanded consciousness of the depth and the incomprehensible wonder of being, would also have greater understanding of and better consideration for the biological and material foundation of life on this earth, Above all, for Western people with their hypertrophied rationality, the development and expansion of a direct, emotional experience of reality, unobstructed by words and concepts, would be of evolutionary significance.

Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined.

To fall in hell or soar angelic,
You need a pinch of psychedelic.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

. [Re: Moonraker]
    #10296640 - 05/06/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by oxalic32 (12/19/10 01:39 PM)

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: Moonraker]
    #10296641 - 05/06/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm always going to err more towards the side of psychedelic use over therapy. I've went to a counselor before but talking about my stuff doesn't help really. I feel like the only way I can truly help myself is to do it.

If I go get pills it's true I will probably end up relying on them and I don't want to rely on anything external for my inner happiness.

The only thing that scares me is I went through a lot of shit this week and to top it off my parents told me they're getting a divorce.

If I did the dose I wanted to do (5 grams silent darkness) I don't want this to end up affecting my trip because 5 grams is the most I've ever done at a single time. I have eaten 7.5 over a night (started 2.5 lemon tekked and 2 grams dry then 3 grams 7 hours later) but I know the 5 grams will probably be much more intense if I took them all at once.

Then again, 2.5 grams lemon tekked and 2 grams dry is probably more intense than 5 grams dry. I don't know, maybe I'll do a quarter.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

. [Re: Angel_Above]
    #10296735 - 05/06/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by oxalic32 (12/17/10 09:47 PM)

Offlinetoday mylove
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: oxalic32]
    #10296772 - 05/06/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No need to see a psychiatrist if you already know you don't want to take meds. Go see a psychologist or counselor and just talk. Simply talking about what's on your mind can help greatly in unforseen ways.

Please don't trip if you feel as though you are not in the proper mindset, regardless of what everyone says here. If you really feel the need to trip, threshold doses will help you infinitely more with insight than higher doses. Be gentle with yourself.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: today mylove]
    #10296806 - 05/06/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by oxalic32 (12/17/10 09:48 PM)

Offlinetoday mylove
Male User Gallery

#10296823 - 05/06/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I just feel like its a sure way to a bad trip if you're feeling bad about something and then dosing huge to find a way through. You won't. You'll be tossed head first into a whole lot of shit you already are having a hard time dealing with. Save the large doses for when you're feeling fine and willing to explore. It's one of my biggest pet peeves around here. People thinking high doses can solve all your problems, especially things that you CAN deal with if you devote a bit of time to and actually seek a bit of help for, because honestly that's what I feel like the OP is doing. You don't need to trip balls, you just need some reassurance.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: today mylove]
    #10296838 - 05/06/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

#10296923 - 05/06/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I know high doses won't fix anything, but I know I'm ready to trip still.

Not at the moment, but this summer most likely. I will rent out a cabin/house thing for a weekend and just have a trip out in nature like I always wanted, also solo.

Solo tripping on salvia was pretty simple, and I've done it on shrooms before, just not for the entire duration.

I actually kind of expect a difficult experience; the difficult trips are the most healing to me and that's what actually got me interested in psychedelics because I would see exactly what was bothering me, and it was all up to me to change it.

The only thing that weirds me out is the last time I tried a large dose (3.5 grams lemon tekked) I completely lost touch with myself. Forgot my name, where I was, who these kids were (my friends), and why I was there. I thought I made up all my friends and I ended up thinking I was in a psyche ward because I did shrooms/acid and ended up going crazy. I also thought I burned down my building because no one was out in the hallway at 5 am. Haha.

I'm sure 5-7 grams will yield a similar dissociative mind fuck where I lose all touch with myself. The only thing I worry about with this, is how can I learn from the experience if I don't know who I am? hah

Offlineoxalic32
Male

#10296937 - 05/06/09 01:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Offlineenvisionary333
Biopsychosociospiritual Being
Female

Loc: The Eternal Present
    #10297061 - 05/06/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think that psychedelics and therapy both have application and are useful in their own right, certainly they are not interchangeable.  I say go for both if you feel they can help and are lucky enough to have that option! 

Therapy is a very grounding, practical way to guide yourself through the habits of your ego in a safe and rational manner.  Psychedelic experiences tend to be more fantastical and spiritual in nature and perhaps less obvious in the way they guide you, but are very effective to break you out of your standard mode of thinking and to see more deeply.  I feel that psychedelics have reached me on more levels than therapy has, but they are harder to control and can sometimes bite back if you're not careful.  In both cases, it is you who is the true guide to the healing process though- not the therapist or the psychedelic drug, they are only there to assist you and mirror back your progress.

From personal experience, I strongly urge that you not go on any medication unless it's a last resort and becomes necessary for you to function.  The doctors will give it to you right away and it's easy to think it's safe, and easy to get used to.  Although the medicine seemed to make me feel better at first, in the long run it only blocked off my feelings and that prevented me from understanding where those feelings were coming from, thus preventing any true healing.  Withdrawal from antidepressants is very real and many doctors don't acknowledge this fact.  In many cases, you go through far worse depression upon stopping medicine than you had to begin with.  There are many, many supplements that help with depression that you can try before considering a prescription, and exercise is extremely helpful as well.  A few supplements to look into are 5-htp, Saint John's wort, and kava, among others.

I'm not an expert of course, I just have a long personal history of depression and have tried lots of different medications.  I am sending you positive vibes and I hope that you find relief and joy in whatever path you choose to take to start feeling better.  :hug:

--------------------
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: envisionary333]
    #10297088 - 05/06/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

How can pills help??? Really, how? Will they fix the reasons why you are depressed? Will they change your WAY OF THINKING?

The only logical conclusion I could come to would be if they are MOOD-ALTERING, which they are.

You don't see the danger of taking a mood altering medication every single day??

They are terrible for you. I'm writing a research paper on how pharmaceuticals do much more harm than good right now, and if you just do a bit of research as well all the evidence is there.

Medication Madness is a great book, BTW, and really opened my eyes to this growing problem in the pill popping trend.

--------------------
Imagination is the organ of meaning.

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: showme]
    #10297091 - 05/06/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

PSYCHEDELIC HEALING FTW

--------------------

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

#10297124 - 05/06/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you all. I decided to just stick with myself to heal myself. No one will understand me the way I do, and the same goes for anyone who breathes. Therefore, I see no reason in going through years of shit with some random person so they can try to figure me out.

I can figure me out.

Offlineoxalic32
Male

#10297131 - 05/06/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10297149 - 05/06/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, great decision.

Never give up hope.

--------------------

Offlinetoday mylove
Male User Gallery

#10297169 - 05/06/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Angel_Above said:
Thank you all. I decided to just stick with myself to heal myself. No one will understand me the way I do, and the same goes for anyone who breathes. Therefore, I see no reason in going through years of shit with some random person so they can try to figure me out.

I can figure me out.

:sunny:

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10297171 - 05/06/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"The only thing that weirds me out is the last time I tried a large dose (3.5 grams lemon tekked) I completely lost touch with myself. Forgot my name, where I was, who these kids were (my friends), and why I was there. I thought I made up all my friends and I ended up thinking I was in a psyche ward because I did shrooms/acid and ended up going crazy. I also thought I burned down my building because no one was out in the hallway at 5 am. Haha.

I'm sure 5-7 grams will yield a similar dissociative mind fuck where I lose all touch with myself. The only thing I worry about with this, is how can I learn from the experience if I don't know who I am? hah "

Oh my goodness this is exactly what happened to me during a camping trip. At first the trip was GREAT, then I sat in front of the fire and everything got weird and confusing as FUCK. I felt like all my friends around me were just made up by me, from my memory of them, like I was Joel in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind watching his memories, except this wasn't a memory. It was very confusing. Psychedelics are tricky as hell and could completely go in a different direction at any moment, is what I learned. It only takes a chain of very small events that manage to affect you in just the right way, and it's not hard at all.

I think the more experience one gains though, the more healing one gains from the experience.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10297562 - 05/06/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Angel_Above said:

I can figure me out.

Although I too would prefer psychedelic healing to seeing a psychiatrist, it's wise to remember that sometimes you cannot see your own biases and an outside opinion is necessary.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinepoeticphoto
Lover, not a Fighter
Female User Gallery

Loc: your head.
    #10297566 - 05/06/09 03:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This is a great thread... kudos, OP.

Happy to hear your decision.  Hope you have some insightful, beautiful trips ahead of you.  :thumbup::mushroom2:

OfflineDNBplus
true stoner

#10297624 - 05/06/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am having the same debate.That's so weird.What I think I am going to do is continue to trip and "doc shop"for a shrink that is an agnostic and will not judge me for the things I do.I trip for rec and spiritual/healing purposes,I want to be able to talk to a shrink to get shit off my chest and then handle it while tripping.But I dont know if a none bi-oust shrink exists.LOL I am having trouble gripping this but I think I might be a paranoid skit-so,or else very insecure,I love life and I am happy but I cannot trust people and when ever I allow someone to get close to me I always think they are out to fuck me over.  MASSIVE support angle do what you feel is right for you :smile:

OfflineDNBplus
true stoner

Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: deCypher]
    #10297642 - 05/06/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

WELL PUT!that's why I am thinking about going.LOL I fear that if I open up to a normal person all the way I will get locked up in a padded room.When I say that I dont mean because I have psycho thoughts I have a very,very psychedelic mind.

Offlineenvisionary333
Biopsychosociospiritual Being
Female

Loc: The Eternal Present
Re: Psychiatrist or Psychedelic Healing? [Re: DNBplus]
    #10297689 - 05/06/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A good therapist will not force their views on you or try to make you think a certain way.  They will listen carefully without judgment, and respond in ways that encourage YOU to develop a deeper understanding of your own situation.  The best analogy I can think of is that they are a mirror reflecting back your own views so that you can study them more clearly from a new perspective.  It is very hard to be objective about one's own problems and reactions all the time, so this can be very useful.

On the other hand, everyone is affected by their personal beliefs to some degree, even a therapist, so it is always good to find one who is open-minded and a good fit for your personality.  If it doesn't feel right, that's OK, just look for someone else.  Therapy can be really helpful, but only if the therapist is good.  If the therapist is not a good match, I could imagine it making the situation even worse.

--------------------
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom