Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemewkiebear
Voyeur

Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary?
    #10291740 - 05/05/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So, I built my fruiting chamber based of the the mushroomsvideos.com model.  Is it really necessary to have all of those holes for gas exchange.  I have about 30 holes, in vertical sets of 3's around the corners.  The guy in that video did like 800 holes.

In another set of videos that I hear is extremely outdated and crappy, Magic Mushroom Growing Made Easy, they don't have any holes in the fruiting chamber but instruct the mycologist to open the lid and fan it over the chamber to remove the excess C02 each day.

So far, I've done a compromise between the two techniques where I don't have that many holes but I fan it out once a day.  I'm just worried that too many holes would lead to too much moisture loss..

BTW - I know there are lots of TEK's on fruiting chamber already.  Just hoping for some reliable advice on whether or not an 'excessive' amount of ventilation holes is really necessary to have high yield in a fruiting chamber.

Thanks again - MB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: mewkiebear]
    #10291841 - 05/05/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

poor air exchange can lead to small fruits

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? *DELETED* [Re: mewkiebear]
    #10291877 - 05/05/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by EdgeChaos

Reason for deletion: ..

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: EdgeChaos]
    #10291942 - 05/05/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I've never done a side-by-side test.
But I'd trust RR over anybody else on matters of applied mycology. Do it just like the video, it will work just like it does in the video.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineLittering_and
gimme a liter o'cola
 User Gallery

Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: Doc_T]
    #10292338 - 05/05/09 06:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm gonna throw this out there... fanning once a day is probably not enough. If you don't have time to fan more often than that, I would recommend the poor man's pod for automatic air exchange (there are lots of others but this is what I have experience with): Poor man's pod

edit: I just looked up the shotgun chamber, which it sounds like you've made. I think in this case you definitely need all those holes for air exchange.

Edited by Littering_and (05/05/09 07:54 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: Littering_and]
    #10293075 - 05/05/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You want four air exchanges per HOUR for best results.  Drill holes as shown in the video.  The holes are not for gas exchange, they're for fresh air exchange, the number one pinning trigger.  Mist as necessary to make up for lost moisture.

Quote:

I think RR once said. The best way is to drill a bunch of holes over time until your moisture content starts to drop then cover up the last holes you made. Of coarse this requires you to have a reliable hydrometer.

I never said such a thing.  If you make the terrarium by the tek, it will work properly.  Fresh air is important, and if your cakes are drying out as they should, you mist to replace this lost moisture.  This ebb and flow of substrate moisture content is a major pinning trigger. 

Hydrometers are not used in mycology.  You need an analog hygrometer that can be calibrated by the damp towel method for measuring relative humidity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinechucku
Stranger
Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: Littering_and]
    #10293134 - 05/05/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I did the rr version of the shotgun tek.  I needed to cover up about 15% of the holes to reach %99 humidity.  Its easier to tape holes up, instead of drilling new ones, espically with cakes inside.  Still fan, as much as you can.  I have learned real quick that %99 humidity makes a huge difference when fruiting.  I had to add a humidifier, but you might not have to.  Good luck.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Excessive Amount of Holes in Fruiting Chamber Necessary? [Re: chucku]
    #10293188 - 05/05/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Instead of taping the holes, mist more.  Then you get the best of both worlds.  I have a shotgun terrarium sitting on the back porch for the last three or four days with the lid off because it's been raining.  What developed is one of the best pinsets I've ever seen.  Massive fresh air and enough moisture to replace what evaporates will give stellar performance.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate