Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebagsofun
Mother Puncher

Why No Pinning?? (pics)
    #7647886 - 11/17/07 03:14 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's been about 8 days since I made these casings, and still no pins.

These casings consists of a B+ colonized 2 lb. grain-based mycobag crumbled into these 3 trays. Each tray has roughly 1/2" of casing in the bottom, 2" of substrate, then about 1/3 " of casing layer on top. The casing layer is about 50/50 MGMC and verm....the mycelium looks very strong and has partially colonized the casing layer, as it normally does. Misting is done twice a day, and FAE 2 to 5 times a day depending on how often I can get to it. I have done this exact same method before with pins within a few days, and further good results.

The 3 trays

Partially colonized, they *look* good

So there it is,any ideas why these might not wanna start fruiting?

--------------------
Ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaribou_Lou
Stranger

Loc: Never Land
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: bagsofun]
    #7647892 - 11/17/07 03:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Just be patient, my casing took over a week just to form knots. Make sure the humidity is right and you're giving them a lot of fresh air. I think you can mist them until knots form? But i'm not positive on that one.

Offlinebagsofun
Mother Puncher

Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: Caribou_Lou]
    #7647926 - 11/17/07 03:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I mist to the point where just the surface of the casing is pretty mushy. I try to keep each tray at a state of very moist, but never moist enough to collect water at the bottom of the trays. Mainly I'm just worried that these will eventually become contamed if they wait too long. Thanks, bof

--------------------

Offlinemilkman
DeliveringWorldWide
Male User Gallery

Loc: tha FLA
    #7647933 - 11/17/07 03:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

is that red lid the terrarium if it is you need a way to get more light to the mushies

other then that give it a little more time

Offlinebagsofun
Mother Puncher

Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: milkman]
    #7647977 - 11/17/07 03:46 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

milkman said:
is that red lid the terrarium if it is you need a way to get more light to the mushies

other then that give it a little more time

No, this is my FC
\

A bit ghetto, but it does the job. It's a 25 Gal. (I think) aquarium with the inside wrapped in alum. foil to conceal the light, which is timed to 12/12 hrs. Holes in the top for a little bit of gas exchange...besides that I just have some shelves on the inside to keep the casing away from the floor and what I would believe to be the heavier gasses. My ideal FC would be a large shotgun style tub, but for now I am limited to a concealed small tank in the back of a closet.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: milkman]
    #7647980 - 11/17/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinediablovt1125
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: Nibin]
    #7647992 - 11/17/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Be patient, they'll come. It took two weeks for my last casings to pin.

--------------------
Know yourself, know your substance, and know your source

OfflineTrooming
Hello, Kitty
Male
Loc: TexMex
    #10250906 - 04/28/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm, I have a similar problem.  Or maybe not one at all.  my fruiting chamber has clear sides and there are actually a number of pins half way down all around the sides.  So I am definitely getting pinning just not at the surface. Some of the pins are slowing growing toward the surface and I imagine the will pop out and be normal.  Except for one fat stupid b*st*rd that is growing straight down.  I mean it, he is the fattest one.  It is a real shame he will never see the surface.  In any event, I am not really sure if this is just happening in the sides or if it is happening throughout and they will all suddenly spring forth majestically to say hello when they are ready. 

It has been about three to four days since I started doing a 12/12 light cycle and fanning regularly for air circulation temp is below 75.  I actually have my whole apartment set at like 65, but my room is always warmer.  I have a vermiculite surface that I am keeping moist by misting.  one grain of verm will produce about a drop of water.  Perlite is on the bottem for any excess water or by products. The fruiting chamber produces a lot of heat so I fan regularly, every couple of hours, to keep at room temp.

Does anyone have insight into this?  does the pins develop first completely under the surface and then pop out later or should I be worried and expecting them to develop completely on the surface?

--------------------
"The easy confidence with which I dismiss another man's religion as folly, makes me suspect mine is also" ~Mark Twain

Edited by Trooming (04/28/09 05:27 PM)

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: Trooming]
    #10251221 - 04/28/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Pins form all over the substrate. I've had pins from the bottom and middle rip apart a hole in the substrate when harvesting. Ocassionally you'll have a fruit that grows down instead.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: T-Rex]
    #10251369 - 04/28/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You shouldnt be keeping your casing layer moist all the time. Keeping it saturated all the time will give poor performance.

Mist your casing layer as required, when it starts to dry out. Evaporation of moisture is a pinning trigger.

You also need way more FAE, which coincidently causes evaporation. FAE is very important, not only for pinning but also in preventing contams.

Gas exchange just isnt going to cut it.

Since you cant drill holes in that, your probably going to have to use an air pump and fan it out a few times daily. Or fan once per hour if you dont have an air pump.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineTrooming
Hello, Kitty
Male
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10251598 - 04/28/09 07:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm, that does make sense that the changing condition would trigger pinning.  I will probably lay off the misting a bit.  But then why are all the pins I do have on the sides of the container, wouldn't it stay even more moist down there because the water would settle down into it and there is less evaporation?  The casing is pressed up pretty much all the way to the side, not more than a millimeter is separating the casing from teh edge.  And all the pins I have seen seem to be about an 1/2 inch or more down, at least where they started.

In addition, I am using a modified clear shower curtain to cover it and I can easily change it to allow more free movement of gases.  It is specifically for this purpose so I don't mind messing it up.  Do you think poking some small holes would be good or leaving a small amount uncovered?  I have done some experimenting with regulating humidity for other things than this, and as long as you check regularly and make sure it doesn't get too dry, having holes open to the free air can allow good gas exchange while preventing drying from happening too quickly.

--------------------
"The easy confidence with which I dismiss another man's religion as folly, makes me suspect mine is also" ~Mark Twain

Edited by Trooming (04/28/09 07:30 PM)

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
    #10251610 - 04/28/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is not a problem. They will fruit wherever they want, stop worrying wat their doing and let them do their thang

Offlinebeans
Stranger Danger!

#10251629 - 04/28/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Pins on the side and not on the top sounds like low humidity. You need to mist till the casing is glistening, and then fan the hell out of it. Like Veda said, pretty much hourly or every couple of hours. Read Hyphaes pinning strategy that Nibin posted

Edited by beans (04/28/09 07:29 PM)

Offlinebr4485
Mr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: US Flag
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: beans]
    #10251907 - 04/28/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Patience is the key to this hobby. And "good things come to those who wait".

--------------------
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society.  If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.  ~P.J. O'Rourke

OfflineTrooming
Hello, Kitty
Male
Re: Why No Pinning?? (pics) [Re: beans]
    #10251911 - 04/28/09 08:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, now I am even more paranoid....  All the pics in nibins showed the pins forming on the surface.  I have some knots already but only in a couple of spots, at least I think that is what they are they kind of look like white foam (it is my first time getting this far).  I am worried that I am just going to get a bunch of delinquents around the edge now.  At least I'll get some I guess.:eek:

--------------------

Offlinebeans
Stranger Danger!

#10292560 - 05/05/09 07:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Were you able to correct the problem?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix