Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
using grain for master cultures
    #10287804 - 05/05/09 12:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So I have been doing agar work and found that plates don't keep too well in my fridge in the longterm... so I was wondering if I had some cheep jars and kept a small amount of grain in it and transferred to these to keep these cultures longterm, would this work for long term culture storage? I could hypothetically take small quantities out at a time to inoculate work and continue the strain for quite some time without significant degradation of the strain. Anyone else ever do this?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: using grain for master cultures [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10287846 - 05/05/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Never heard of it, I'm sure it could work.

Why not make master culture slants where you let wood get colonized and use that to store it?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: using grain for master cultures [Re: Shroominit]
    #10287897 - 05/05/09 12:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I could I think I've heard of some people using grain masters here before I am unsure if it was the same deal as I am talking about here, but I need a quick solution and I can't get the containers needed quickly and I have much of the jars already that I'd need to keep masters in.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinemeehi
Being
 User Gallery

#10287939 - 05/05/09 12:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: using grain for master cultures [Re: meehi]
    #10287968 - 05/05/09 12:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

how long do those lcs last anyway?

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #10288865 - 05/05/09 07:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You can also make master slants out of these (I just made a set).

http://themadseason.com/vacutainer.asp

Although they don't allow for wider scalpels in, you can use a pick or other type of tool to reach in to retrieve a hair of mycelium. They are a bit smaller then what RR has suggested so you have to refresh your culture library more often (7-10 months) but its a very cost effective method opposed to screw top test tubes. Grain is not encouraged because a grain seed can harbour a contamination (by conventional knowledge) and the last thing you'd want is a ruined culture you'd dig out a year later. Although RR is testing frozen rye berry long term storage, it hasn't been long enough to say it works well or not.

Go with Grain LC's or the cost effective slants. There's also Lipa's version of slants as well http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9991892#9991892

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlinebeans
Stranger Danger!

Re: using grain for master cultures [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #10288904 - 05/05/09 07:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

would glycerin in an LC work. That way you could keep it in the freezer

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: using grain for master cultures [Re: beans]
    #10289029 - 05/05/09 08:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Give your idea a try.  It will be interesting in a few years to see how the cultures do without any air.  I have some cultures on distilled water now, but in mason jars with filtered gas exchange.  They're approaching three years old and still viable.
RR

Via -> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9402101#9402101

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates