Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Mind and Brain
    #1028739 - 11/06/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sometimes life sucks. When nothing makes sense, life is a black abyss with evil lurking inside. Sometimes everything is boring and painfully meaningless. When suffering is all that is left, I run around and try to figure out what's wrong with me, trying to change the way I think, trying to figure out what is the self-destructing belief I act upon, what attitude I have to change. Introspective to the point of insanity, I change my beliefs and my attitudes and yet everything remains the same. Paralyzed by doubt, anger, worry and fear, I hate myself and everything else, and then hate myself even more for doing that. And when life sucks, positive thinking sucks, too. No way out of that.

Then I drink a strong cup of coffee, and suddenly I realize that life is FUCKING GREAT. Which made me wonder...

Our western civilization seems to be obsessed with the idea that our thoughts determine our fate. Positive thinking, new age affirmations, memetics, NLP, "Conversations with God"... it's a fucking billion dollar industry. There's money to be made by telling people to think different. Western psychology is largely based around the idea that lying down and talking with an expert about your problems, changing your attitudes, dealing with "repressed memory" and all that rubbish will somehow help you. If it doesn't, you are locked away and drugged calm.

I guess it's bullshit.

Traditionally, all of religion and psychology was about changing your state of consciousness, not your way of thinking. Shamanism certainly was. Fasting, meditation, excessive prayer, psychedelics, trance, sensory deprivation... and then western civilization came along and sold it out. Now we spend our time with positive thinking and Neale Donald Walsh. Fuck it. Wanna find God? No need to change your beliefs. Change your brain chemistry.

But I guess we trippers knew that already...

Edited by Nomad (11/06/02 03:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Mind and Brain [Re: Nomad]
    #1028879 - 11/06/02 04:18 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sometimes life DOESN'T suck, too.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Mind and Brain [Re: Strumpling]
    #1029430 - 11/06/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Good point  :laugh: 

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1029736 - 11/06/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Our western civilization seems to be obsessed with the idea that our thoughts determine our fate

optimism is not a bad thing to have though, i mean if you think you are a total loser with no future, well....u probably won't get what you want out of life.

Anonymous

#1029796 - 11/06/02 07:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Don't look for meaning in life, its a silly little world... i truly believe its all in your mind. Figure out what you want your mind to think and think it. Thats the part you want to be speaking for you, not the bullshit you are fed and told to spit out. This reminds me of a song from Life of Brian..." Always look on the bright side of life, do doo dood do doo....lifes a piece of shit, when you look at it, so always look on the bright side of life, dod do doo do do" now mind you, the man singing those lyrics was nailed to a cross... now how bad are things?

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1029965 - 11/06/02 08:36 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Negative thinking is useless if all it does is make you feel bad. You might as well look on the bright side of life (doo dood do), It's more usefull. Inless of course you dont mind creating your private little hell. The more you let negative thoughts get a hold of you = the more you think negativity makes sense. Negativity (or in a worse case depression [excluding biological depression]) is it's own little world in a way, with it's own little twisted logic. If your thick in the middle of it, you might have to be a little stubborn with yourself; dont look for a reason. dont worry, be happy.    :grin: :laugh: :cool: :tongue: 

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1030695 - 11/06/02 11:28 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Shamans.... good.

Nice post.... if I ignore the pessimistic tone.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order