Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: how can athiests exist? [Re: Poid]
    #10286252 - 05/04/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
My 7th grade math teacher was part of the Flat World Society.

Just for shits n' giggles, or did he actually believe that the Earth was flat?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: how can athiests exist? [Re: deCypher]
    #10286268 - 05/04/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:justdontknow:

He had a certificate which showed that he was an official member of the Flat Earth Society (it's either Flat Earth, or Flat World, I forget), and a lot of his classroom material revolved around the number 47...

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#10286279 - 05/04/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I participated on the flat earth society forums for a while. Made up a theory of light more conducive to flat earth physics. Good times.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

InvisibleQuetzalcohuatl
Stranger

#10286281 - 05/04/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well if unroll a sphere onto a 2-dimensional manifold is flat

and 47 is a very important prime number.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how can athiests exist? [Re: Quetzalcohuatl]
    #10286494 - 05/04/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I suppose that's part of the reason why there is a society devoted to it.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleQuetzalcohuatl
Stranger

#10286521 - 05/04/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

it's a joke nobody really believes that stuff

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10286551 - 05/04/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You sure? You should take a look at their website:

THE 47 SOCIETY
Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions about 47 and The 47 Society

What is 47?
    In short, 47 appears to be the quintessential random number of the universe. In other words, when a number appears randomly, more often than not, that number is 47. In other other words, if you asked people to pick a number at random, more often than not, that number would be 47. Of course, if 47 shows up more than any other number then it isn't truly random, but using the word random makes the whole phenomenon easier to describe.
What is a "47 Sighting"?
    Anytime you notice the number 47 anywhere in your life or in the world (or elsewhere). There are a variety of interpretations as to what constitutes a bona fide "47 Sighting." Whatever your definition, we encourage you to share your 47 sightings and stories with the 47 Society Mailing List.
What is the 47 Society?
    The 47 Society is an international interest-group that follows the occurence and recurrence of the quintessential random number: 47. Many suspect that the coincidental nature of 47 carries some mystical, metaphysical and/or scientific significance.

The phenomenon may have first been documented at Pomona College in 1964, when Professor Donald Bentley proved that all numbers are equal to 47. Coincidentally, 47 seems to occur on or near the college campus with amazing frquency, even by enthusiast standards.

But make no mistake: 47 is everywhere and people were noticing it long before 1964. The 47 Society Web Site is the global source for 47 information.
Aren't You Just Seeing 47 More Because You're Looking For It?
    No.

Still not convinced? Try this simple experiment. Pick another number. For the next three to six months keep your eyes open for both. 47 will show up more. If you find out otherwise, please let us know!
What's The Pomona College Connection?
    In the 1960's, Pomona College's Professor Donald Bentley completed a mathematical proof that stated that all numbers were equal, therefore all numbers were equal to 47. Since then, students at Pomona have been quietly indoctrinated in the ways of 47. Some believe, some doubt. But it is listed in the student handbook right after "Glee Club". At this date, we have been unable to obtain a copy of Professor Bentley's proof, however, 1968 Pomona Alumnus Wayne Phillips corroborates its existence.
What's the Star Trek Connection?
    A Pomona College alum has been a writer and producer for the various Star Trek TV shows and films. He indoctrinated the other writers several years ago (while writing for Star Trek: The Next Generation). Since then, nearly every Star Trek episode has included some mention of 47. Some "Trekkies" have put together their own excellent pages dedicated to these 47s. Since these are more frequent and deliberate than randomly-occurring 47s, we generally discuss only the most cosmically significant of these sightings in our own forums. Kirk would have wanted it this way
What about OTHER numbers?
    Our research indicates that numbers have lives of their own. 47 appears to be the most playful number, frequently showing up in unusual and/or surprising ways. Other numbers have their own characteristics, and we have heard heated testimonials from followers of some of these numbers, including 3, 11, 19, 23 and 42.

Keep this in mind: 47-spotting is fun. There is no need to make 47 your favorite or lucky number in order to appreciate its synchronicitious ways. Just relax, observe 47 as it reveals to you, and share your experience with the 47 Society.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleQuetzalcohuatl
Stranger

#10286582 - 05/04/09 08:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Lol you don't know Bob do you.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10286607 - 05/04/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:shake:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleQuetzalcohuatl
Stranger

#10286761 - 05/04/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

one does not need bob to recognize bullshit

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10286837 - 05/04/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:rimshot:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: how can athiests exist? [Re: mad_cow]
    #10287304 - 05/04/09 10:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mad_cow said:
Quote:

laserpig said:
If you don't want to know what we think, and you don't want us to know what you think ... why are you posting?

I'm sorry I used some expletives in responding to what I saw (and still see) as poor argument. Once I found out you were so damn sensitive I tried to back off, but you refuse to calm down and accept the fact that we weren't attacking you personally.

Funny how this shit only happens in God threads, which I am staying out of. I have posted in plenty of other threads and I don't get the third degree.

Think of it this way. It feels like being a black person at a KKK meeting. All these people saying irrational and delusional and you should be glad to have your beliefs torn apart. That is all fun on your side. It ain't fun on this side.

I have plenty of people to discuss beliefs with, I made my mistake and learned my lesson.

Looks like I missed out on a good thread.  Yes, I hear you.  And I don't respect the "pile on" tactic.  It makes the forum look bad.

Nevertheless, deCypher's point is important:

Quote:

I personally find great fun in holding the minority position and defending my beliefs against others: it builds good debate skills, tolerance when dealing with people, and a moderate temper.

More than half the ideas I have are the minority position.  I'm proud of it and able to defend all of them.

At least you learned your lesson.  Oh, and don't ask for prayer for a dying loved one in this forum.  You'll get your asshole reamed.  And that's on a nice day.

Note to deCypher: we really need to change the name of this forum.  We need a run-off after the primary election.  :super:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order