Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, San Pedro, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
terrarimum natural venting?
    #1028622 - 11/06/02 05:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if one were to design a terrarium with say 2" diameter holes in it would it automatically vent excess co2? Vents either on top or bottom depends on which layer co2 falls in. Also will humidity stay high in that enviroment with 1-2" of damp perlite? Also holes be stuffed tightly with polyfill.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1029913 - 11/06/02 10:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I suggest you try it. I think it will help quite a bit. The modification you speak of is more common than you think.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: Joshua]
    #1030318 - 11/07/02 12:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

which is more dense( falls to bottom) co2 or o2? And the way i was thinking if co2 was on bottom it would be presed out by the o2thats being released fromt he fruits and pushed out the bottom from pressure. terrarium is a rubbermaid and going to seal it with weather sealant around edges and 5w light on top. eliminate fanning all together or ?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlineshroomologist
Loc: SouthEastern US
    #1030357 - 11/07/02 12:15 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thats pretty much what i did. I put my chamber on 2 bricks, and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom for CO2 to get out, along with water. WOrks great

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: shroomologist]
    #1030561 - 11/07/02 01:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

any contams or loss of humidity? Also polyfill fiber in hole? Still daily fanner or ? I guess Co2 is more dense than O2

--------------------

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1031729 - 11/07/02 09:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yes, CO2 is heavier than O2. kinda makes sense since CO2 is O2 + C.

my friend uses an upside-down rubbermaid with casings sitting on the lid. there is an air pump pumping air into a water and perlite-filled bin at one end and the rubbermaid is slightly open at the other end, just enough to allow the air hose in (and some air back out). the bubbler at the one end introduces clean air which moves through the inside of the rubbermaid, across the casings and out the other side where the hose comes in. timer is set to run air 15 minutes on 15 minutes off 24/7. humidity sits at or around 90 percent always. the casings seem happy.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlineshroomologist
    #1031944 - 11/07/02 11:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No contams at all. I run a humidifier 2 hours off, 4 min on 24-7. This circulates the air enough, and keeps the humidity high. I also have perlite in tubs on the bottom to stabilize the humidity when the humidifier is off. I've had great results.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1034622 - 11/08/02 02:14 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So mycelium exhales co2? that's interesting. I would think it would be the other way around. I guess it's another way fungi separate themselves from plants.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1036911 - 11/08/02 05:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

...or another way they are similar to humans. We are closer in specie divergence to fungi than to plants.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: Joshua]
    #1036959 - 11/08/02 06:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well i propped mine up and got a 1/2" hole in bottom is there any need to fan this way. also going to put a wire mesh screen over the 1/2" and any improvements like polyfill'd holes on bottom side???

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1037103 - 11/08/02 07:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know if passive diffusion would be adequate. I would connect an air pump to your set-up. I found an awesome pump at a second hand store for 6$. The rate at which the mushrooms consume oxygen will probably exceed the rate at which your CO2 drains out, meaning you still need additional air exchange.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlineshroomologist
    #1037125 - 11/08/02 07:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

well i propped mine up and got a 1/2" hole in bottom is there any need to fan this way. also going to put a wire mesh screen over the 1/2" and any improvements like polyfill'd holes on bottom side???

You will still need to fan. This just makes it easier for the levels of CO2 that build up to exit the chamber. That way, there's more Oxygen in the chamber than there is CO2, and you get less abhorts.

I was thinking about polyfil, but there's H2O2 in my humidifier and water source, so there's alot less risk for contams. I've never had a problem because i'm pretty safe. Once the cakes are in the chamber, its harder for them to get contam. I can't really put polyfil in it, because excess water also pours out of this hole.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1037628 - 11/08/02 11:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if you got a computer fan and tuned it to fit your wall socket or what have you to power it you could just stick on the bottom of your terranium, cut a hole the size of the fan. stick the fan in and seal with silicon gel or hot glue or whatever works and drill a hole in the top of the terranium maybe one on each side depending the shape of your terranium and cover these holes with coffee filters or a filter disc, or just somethign to filter the air. air should swirl down and suck out all the o2 while bringing in fresh oxygen. you will want to prop this up. amazing how fast you can put together systems steming from many different people and sources  :smile:  :wink: . i mean you guys of course. the shroomery and my own ingenuity if you want to call it that...  :smirk:  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1037821 - 11/09/02 12:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

what would make you compare mushrooms to plants?

--------------------

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: terrarimum natural venting? [Re: Shaw]
    #1038056 - 11/09/02 02:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

thinking of doing a bubbler with an air stone only if i could have some more links to setup pics. right now i'm enjoying my san pedro quite thoroughly great stuff.

--------------------

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

#1047277 - 11/12/02 07:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have an idea for you. I am using a ultrasonic humidifier, but I donot have it attached in the conventional sense. What I did is just have the humidifier blowing over the top of the terrarium with a piece of plexiglass preventing direct moisture from contacting the mycelia. This allows for the moisture sink into the terrarium only when the moisture is getting low, and allows for "natural" venting. The thing I am not sure about is how much contamination will be a factor.

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1048230 - 11/13/02 02:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Co2 is heavier than O2. Part of the issue is how full your substrate container is. Meaning, if it is only 3/4 full & the sides extend higher than the surface of the casing mix. Co2 will settle in that space & unless it gets moved by air pressure force movement, it will stay there. Like water in a bowl.

I learned to use a more shallow substrate container & just leave enough room for the casing mix, which fills the container to the top. It might be BS, but it works better for me. Inside, I also have used a fish tank air pump... w/inline filter running into a jar of water with an air diffusion stone on the end.

The pump pumps in clean air, controlled via a timer. The exit hole (covered with thick filter material to create positive pressure inside the container) is low on the side of an inverted (upside down) sterilite type tub. Works fine by me.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, San Pedro, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology