Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
Pressure canner info
    #1028373 - 11/06/02 04:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just got a used 10 quart canner, it didn't come with instructions but I think I can figure it out.. however I'd rather have some advise before I have canner shrapnal stuck in the walls of my kitchen....

It has a gauge that goes up to 20psi, which is the danger zone, and what looks like a release valve..

I'm assuming I would fill it up with just enough water that it didn't slosh in the jars, put the lid on and heat it up till I got 15psi and atempt to keep it that tempiture? when done let it cool till the psi went down to around 0 and then open the valve to let out any left over pressure??? Is any of that right?

How long does one pressure cook pf jars, I think I remember reading 15 minutes at 15psi??

what other safty measures should I take when using a canner?
any other handy information about using a canner that I should know??

Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Pressure canner info [Re: Auditory Misperception]
    #1028468 - 11/06/02 04:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hard to say without knowing what kind of PC you have. a couple things jump out, though:

with my friend's PC, you get it to 15 psi and then *reduce* temperature so it doesn't go higher. my friend's instructions say to start on high heat and when 15 psi is reached, reduce to low heat. if pressure drops too far, increase heat a bit until you find the temp to keep it sitting at 15 psi. i imagine if you got started on high, got it to 15 psi and left it on high, the pressure would continue to rise and it would explode or at least the emergency release valve and/or seal would blow. my friend knows right where to set his stove to maintain 15 psi and it's about low-medium.

if the PC is completely cool, there shouldn't be any extra pressure to release.

15 minutes might be enough for BRF and verm, but i'd suggest longer like 30 to 45 minutes.

for water level, my friend fills so that his 1/2 pints are about 1 inch deep in water. you don't want it to run out but you don't want it too high either. also make sure your jars aren't in direct contact with the bottom of the PC. most PCs come with an insert on which you can set the jars.

other tips: keep an eye on the PC. don't forget you've got it going.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
Re: Pressure canner info [Re: Bilge]
    #1028529 - 11/06/02 04:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's an old Gardian Service canner. Not much to it but the valve, gauge, some wooden handles, and a lid that locks into place with a rubber seal.

Thnks for the info, it seems pretty stait forward...

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Pressure canner info [Re: Auditory Misperception]
    #1028567 - 11/06/02 04:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

one other thing: the gauge can go bad on canners. if this one is old, watch it to make sure the gauge doesn't just sit there doing nothing. if it's broken you might end up with dangerous amounts of pressure while the gauge still shows 0.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation