Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find... Flag
I think I'd like to go to college
    #10278124 - 05/03/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've recently turned 25, have no job and no signs of getting a decent one soon. I moved back in with the parents a few years ago after splitting with my ex. I had dropped out of high school and went right to work in construction, the family trade.... and moved out and life was good. I had a great time, it was the best thing I ever did. Until the apartment got robbed, I split with my ex and ended up moving back home with the p's... long story short....
  During that time I was job hopping until I finally settled on a shitty laborer job till something better came. I worked hard and got nothing but shit on, I toughed it out though and waited for something better, rather than just something new.
  Something better finally came, it was just another shitty job but with higher pay, full benefits, and I am a friend of the family :smile: Sadly they don't have enough work to keep me on, I've been laid off since december.
  This has given me lots of time to think, and the only conclusion I can come to is that I need to go back to school if I want a job worth keeping. I'm going to stop in to the community college down the street tomorrow and find out what I have to do to get in. I really don't know what I want to go for, but I guess that doesn't really matter.... lol I'll have to take a bunch of stuff I missed from dropping out.
    I have two friends in about the same pickle as I am in. We have all been thinking college, its going to be like I'm out of high school all again... but with lots more experience and some sort of a plan this time. Its been a long time so I so looked forward to something that makes me so nervous.
    All that said, any info on choosing courses, financial aid, and your personal experiences would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: I think I'd like to go to college [Re: luckytriple6]
    #10278374 - 05/03/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Consider learning a trade, like electrician.  They do that at community colleges sometimes and you will be more employable than alot of bachelors degrees will make you.

College is a good place to get an education, a trade is a good thing to get job security.  It looks like you want job security.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find... Flag
Re: I think I'd like to go to college [Re: DieCommie]
    #10279146 - 05/03/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
Consider learning a trade, like electrician.  They do that at community colleges sometimes and you will be more employable than alot of bachelors degrees will make you.

College is a good place to get an education, a trade is a good thing to get job security.  It looks like you want job security.

I've been considering electrical work. Part of my problem is I know how do do lots of stuff, but I don't have a certificate(so it means nothing....)to prove it. I took building trades during high school. When I signed up it was just a way to get out of home school and play with tools(I love tools).
  I learned a lot there, but I got the boot a few weeks before I dropped out of high school(I dropped from high school due to the fact the only thing going for me was my boces course, which I had lost my privileges to as they put it at my home school).
  I loved my courses at boces, and they ended up being all I showed up for. Since I was enrolled through my home school they cut me off of boces just before I would have gotten my certificate(they had to show their almighty scumbag power over me, rather than leaving me as a productive member of society). Over the course of two years I was basically taught how to build a house and maintain a commercial building. I can pretty easily(if I had my license and a car.... more problems to be fixed soon....) get myself an entry level carpentry, plumbing, electrical, minor excavating, or most anything else that is involved in building a house... landscaping too... job. Another big problem is those jobs are  kinda seasonal around here, and you gotta have a car (SOON!....again, I can't wait) to get the job.
    I've never really been motivated to finish anything big, I hope all goes well tomorrow. All through school I got yelled at for not paying attention or doing my school work. The reason I got yelled at so much was because I scored s high on tests and didn't do anything else. For whatever reason I found out the hard way you can be failed even if you know the info....
    After the whole drama that was high school finished out the last thing I considered was college for my next move. I figured I'd get a job and work my way up to a decent pay. I've got to the point where I'm sick of people telling me how to do stuff I already know... I guess I wanna be the guy explaining for a change....

blah blah blah ramble ramble ramble!

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: I think I'd like to go to college [Re: luckytriple6]
    #10279604 - 05/03/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Different scenerio for me, but the same jyst.

I was booted (asked to change myself, or leave.) highschool. Graduated through a adult graduation program and just fucked around for the past 6 years, with no plan for the future.

I've focused on goals and ways to attain them recently, and have started learning to Weld at my local university. I will be employable and in demand when i am done school, and will be making decent money ($20+) after i go back for level B (2 years total, from no experience, to school + work experience to becoming certified.)

I actually want to go to university, but am still too Aloof to commit to it. I am going to do the trades thing for a couple years or more, and hopefully rethink higher education when i'm a bit more along in life.

I also had to get the liscence, the car (borrowing parents right now, living with them aswell.), and in general adapt and make sacrifices in order to advance my future.

I've found that going to school and changing my ways has been an empowering experience which has boosted my confidence, and clarified my ambitions, and general actions in day to day life. A very worthwhile experience + trade's courses are so short, its not a major commitment...

Sounds like Trades would be a natural step for you.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order